• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change the marketplace rule about number of threads?
1 1

Should there be a change to the rule about number of threads allowed by sellers?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to the rule?

• Leave it alone - it's fine as is. "No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed."
    • Update the rule to allow only one open thread per section at one time. I reserve the right to add details on handling unusual situations in a reply below.
    • Make some other kind of change instead - see my reply on this thread to describe it.

This poll is closed to new votes

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Based on the feedback on my recent thread on this issue, it looks like some people are favoring a strongly worded rule that makes it clear that sellers can only have one open thread per marketplace section at a time. Basically, cut out the ambiguity, and one thread is plenty anyway is the thinking.

This sentiment seems to have changed a bit since the original formulation of the rules for a variety of decent reasons, I'm sure. But just to double check how the larger group feels about it rather than rely on comments alone, here's a poll.

UPDATE: Thank you all for your input. We've updated this rule to allow just one thread per user on the front page of a particular sub-forum. See the usage guidelines thread for details.

If nothing more can be done like pop-ups to at least ensure a poster is aware of the guidelines and consequences of not following them as I suggested in the other thread, why not change the wording in some fashion to protect the real estate for others, in my opinion.  I voted, thanks, Arch.

One active thread at a time. If you have more than one thread on the "front page" of any particular section, that's too many. Having individual threads for individual items bumps down other people's threads. If you have an old thread, and you want to bump it, bump it. If you want to start a new thread, so long as your old thread isn't on the first page, fine. If you want to start a new thread, ideally you should close your old thread, but that's not strictly necessary, so long as your old thread isn't on the first page. If your "old thread" is still on the first page, it ain't that old, so don't start a new one.

One thread per user per section. 

I personally will not bother to look at a sales thread unless the comic book title and issue number are posted in the title of the thread; I don't have time. Therefore, I would prefer to see a separate thread for each book.

I think the one thread rule is redonkulous, especially when the material is different.

I used to go in for the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach, but now I see threads where it is one or two titles at a time, and I think that is where I may go.

My latest gripe are the sellers that run a new thread every three or four days, but supposedly "close" the old thread.  Just a bunch of clutter.

8 hours ago, JWKyle said:

If anything when a thread reaches 15 to 20 pages maybe shut it down and start a new one. I'm getting older and it's hard to follow the 40 to 50 page mega threads :preach:

Especially without a recap.  For that matter, recaps are great regardless of the number of pages.  

7 hours ago, paperheart said:

this is ridiculous. so i can't have mixed threads of $1 books and G/S/B/C/M going at the same time? utter stupidity.

you can have thread per marketplace SECTION

On 7/6/2019 at 12:04 AM, paperheart said:

this is ridiculous. so i can't have mixed threads of $1 books and G/S/B/C/M going at the same time? utter stupidity.

Yeah, that would be really dumb. Doing a true sale is a piece of work. CGC allows this because ultimately it benefits them and keeps the community happy (and active). But if someone like you wants to sell 200 books, you plan for that, and set aside time for that, and ignore your wife and children for a period of time. Making someone stretch that over a longer period because of an arbitrary rule is silly.

A better rule to change is books on other venues. I'll start a thread for it. :)

On 7/6/2019 at 1:04 AM, paperheart said:

"We've updated this rule to allow just one thread per user on the front page of a particular sub-forum."

So you have nothing to worry about, you can have one of each, just not 2 or3 or 4 of each;)