• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was BOUND to happen, show us your Bound Volumes and Books removed from them.
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, TheSurgeon said:

I have one more! This is a great piece of popular culture memorabilia. You can read Playboy and Mad magazine and it seems like they came from the same place. Both really smart, funny, culturally important. Playboy devoted many pages of its early issues to serializing Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. Unlike the early EC’s, though, Playboy gave him credit for the stories! 

11FAF640-35A1-4FC0-ABA4-0FD68197EB2F.jpeg

9327DE04-02BC-4AA7-AD91-393D087C007B.jpeg

0EE0A9F6-24D4-465C-B977-12791FF36E1A.jpeg

WOW!  One of the rare people who reads Playboy for the articles  lol

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found this yesterday; I actually posted all the covers in the Four Color thread but nobody reacted.  I was curious if anybody knew what the source of the book might be:

Four_Color_bound.jpg

1109.jpg

1110.jpg

1112.jpg

Very cool. Looks like maybe a Dell publishers file copy. The Volume 93 kind of tips it off. Wouldn't you like to find the other 92 volumes? I assume no stamps inside. Fun to check out all the books published in order. a real mix of issues.

58 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Several of my early Weird Tales are former bound copies.  Here are two important ones.  The first is the first published work by Robert E. Howard in the July 1925 issue.  The second is his first cover story in the April 1926 issue.

jgALIMDl.jpg

2IGeTTAl.jpg

Wow Fury! Some rare stuff there. I have seen quite a few pulp bound volumes. Seems adult readers wanted to keep them in book form for easy reading. These are two very tough ones!

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A couple of George Delacourte Dell File bound volumes.

bvpopeye1.jpg

bvpopeye2.jpg

bvpopeye3.jpg

bvpopeye4.jpg

bvpopeye5.jpg

bvpopeye6.jpg

bvpopeye7.jpg

bvpopeye8.jpg

Wow, these are great. I love Sagendorf Popeye, and I read them to my kids all the time.

54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool. Looks like maybe a Dell publishers file copy. The Volume 93 kind of tips it off. Wouldn't you like to find the other 92 volumes? I assume no stamps inside. Fun to check out all the books published in order. a real mix of issues.

No stamps or any other markings beyond the cover and spine.  The books, other than obviously being bound & trimmed, are gorgeous.  I think it was a well spent $40.

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Picked this up at the Rose Bowl Flea Market yesterday. Nothing high grade or earth shaking but just a very random fan bound volume of comics all from the same time period. These are always just so surprising to find out in the wild. There are quite a few more in here, these are just random ones. Fun reading matter.

bvcomicbook1.jpg

bvcomicbook2.jpg

bvcomicbook3.jpg

bvcomicbook4.jpg

bvcomicbook5.jpg

bvcomicbook6.jpg

I wonder what it cost to have these bound? Seems like it might have cost more than the costs of the books themselves. Or perhaps it was a cheap way to practice the craft. Seems odd someone would do this.

Probably. Maybe the original owner knew some one in the business? I know I had all my Cochran EC reprints bound and the cost was about $25. per volume in today's dollars so it was probably real cheap when these books were published. What is so odd is that the contents are so random. It was like some one took an handful off books and had them bound just because...

I have a few other fairly random bound volumes. Not quite as diverse as this but similar. This one is just titled "Horror" and contains random PCH books from 1952 I believe.

boundvoulumeone1wtof.jpg

boundvoulumeone2terrorsjungle17.jpg

boundvoulumeone3terrorsjungle18.jpg

boundvoulumeone4marveltales.jpg

boundvoulumeone5mystic.jpg

boundvoulumeone6weirdthrillers.jpg

boundvoulumeone7talesofhorror1.jpg

boundvoulumeone8chamberofchills.jpg

boundvoulumeone9strangemysteries.jpg

how does someone assign a value to one of these bound volumes? I was thinking you would grade each book within, giving it a restored grade and then adding up the numbers. While a niche market, bound volumes are collectible.

Am I in the ballpark on value?

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

how does someone assign a value to one of these bound volumes? I was thinking you would grade each book within, giving it a restored grade and then adding up the numbers. While a niche market, bound volumes are collectible.

Realized prices vary widely, so there is no wrong answer.   It is wrong, however, to call them "restored" because they just... are.  not. restored.     It is wrong and silly to use the word "restored" for any-book-which-had-something-done-to-it-that-some-people-don't-approve of.   

I've heard defense of that approach by graders who say graders "don't have many options", which means, basically, that they want to label a book as being "desecrated" but, since there isn't a "desecration label" what the hey just say it's restored because casual investors have been conditioned to think a purple label means the book is non-existent so anything we call restored will be shunned by casual investors looking for simple guidelines.  Thus, "restored" can be used when what you'd like to say is "I don't approve what I believe somebody was thinking when this book got damaged" or even "I hate so much that people trimmed books books to make them look better that I will call anything restored if it's trimmed in any way for any reason."   

Those books were bound, and damaged in the process, even "desecrated", if you like.   But until Webster's says otherwise, they simply were. not. restored.

Edited by bluechip

28 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Realized prices vary widely, so there is no wrong answer.   It is wrong, however, to call them "restored" because they just... are.  not. restored.     It is wrong and silly to use the word "restored" for any-book-which-had-something-done-to-it-that-some-people-don't-approve of.   

I've heard defense of that approach by graders who say graders "don't have many options", which means, basically, that they want to label a book as being "desecrated" but, since there isn't a "desecration label" what the hey just say it's restored because casual investors have been conditioned to think a purple label means the book is non-existent so anything we call restored will be shunned by casual investors looking for simple guidelines.  Thus, "restored" can be used when what you'd like to say is "I don't approve what I believe somebody was thinking when this book got damaged" or even "I hate so much that people trimmed books books to make them look better that I will call anything restored if it's trimmed in any way for any reason."   

Those books were bound, and damaged in the process, even "desecrated", if you like.   But until Webster's says otherwise, they simple were not restored.

absolutely agree. 

My model is just a guide to try to come up with a reasonable value for a bound volume. 

Would have to pay for the book to be restored as well. 

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

Those books were bound, and damaged in the process, even "desecrated", if you like.   But until Webster's says otherwise, they simple were not restored.

Couldn’t agree more !   I was just having this conversation yesterday with another boardie. Trimmed is not restored !  It’s is destruction ( or taking away from something but  certainly not adding to it to bring it back to its original state ).  I don’t understand why CGC does not differentiate this on their labels  while their biggest competition does note the difference between trimmed and restoration On their labels

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Couldn’t agree more !   I was just having this conversation yesterday with another boardie. Trimmed is not restored !  It’s is destruction ( or taking away from something but  certainly not adding to it to bring it back to its original state ).  I don’t understand why CGC does not differentiate this on their labels  while their biggest competition does note the difference between trimmed and restoration On their labels

I can only guess but it seems clear that either some influential people on the inside, or some influential customers putting pressure on them, are willing to accept the misuse of the term.   But when the purple label is used on books that are not restored but, simply, disapproved, it invalidates the assertion that the purple label is not employed to make people avoid books.  And it leads to valuations that actually incentivize people to tear up books that have gotten a purple label through misuse of a term, or which are not quite complete.  Imagine if you will the same thing happening with the valuation of classic cars, and you found a hundred year old classic missing only a few bolts, but putting them on the car would make it shunned, so you're better off taking the whole thing apart and selling the wheels, the doors, the steering column, etc. piece by piece, only to be sold as separate items, because that is approved, while completing a car, even with original parts, is not.

Edited by bluechip

15 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I’ve seen many books from bound volumes get a universal label.  They’ve also had some of the deepest and finest cover colors I’ve ever seen.