• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's BLADE starring Mahershala Ali (2022?)
1 1

161 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah -- and I don't have the source for it at hand but several executives and/or Singer himself are on record as saying the success of Blade (even as an R-rated flick) is what led directly to X-Men being green-lit.

Believe there'd been an X-Men --script kicking around since '95 or so. It was the success of Blad in '98 that finally made it viable.

Variety did an incredible piece on the overall history of Marvel Studios that I posted in the Feige Recognition thread.

Kevin Feige recognized by Variety Magazine

Very much worth reading. And it touches on how Blade, X-Men (2000) and Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 opened Marvel Entertainment's eyes about making their own films.

Deadpool 2 and Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw director David Leitch has a special connection to 1998’s Blade and would like to sit down with Marvel Studios over its coming Mahershala Ali-starring reboot.

“Mahershala is such a great actor, and I’ve been fortunate to work with some great actors, and I never go wrong that way,” Leitch told ScreenRant. “Having him play that role is a big deal and would be really exciting. So, yeah, I would love to have that conversation.”

The stuntman-turned-director, known for his sleek action sequences in John Wick and Atomic Blonde, reflects fondly on the early Marvel Comics adaptation that starred Wesley Snipes as the half-man, half-vampire out to slay bloodsuckers.

“I love Blade. And it’s actually one of the first stunt jobs that I was in, the original Wesley Snipes one,” Leitch said. “I was a stunt performer in that movie. I was in the blood club. You remember that scene? Yes, dancing around in the recycled special effects blood. It was great.”

On 7/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Man, how soon people want to dismiss the older Marvel films that laid the groundwork so as to support the newer MCU films.

There are folks on social media bashing the older Blade films as all being trash that now Feige will be able to fix. And not just a few folks.

:whatthe:

Late response but Blade was the first to hit that landing that is now WAY overused by Marvel to the point it’s eye-rolling. But when Snipes dropped it for the first time, oh man!

I never in a million years expected that BLADE would be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but here we are. It was announced in 2019 that Marvel Studios were developing a reboot of Blade that will star Mahershala Ali (True Detective), and now THR has reported that the project finally has a writer.

The outlet reports that Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who worked as a story editor and writer on HBO's Watchmen series, has been tapped to write the Blade reboot for Marvel Studios. The studio has apparently spent the last six months looking for a writer for the project and Mahershala Ali has been "directly involved" in that search. Only Black writers were being seriously considered for the gig, pointing to Marvel's focus on diversity and representation. THR notes that Osei-Kuffour will now become the first Black female writer to pen the -script for a Marvel movie, while Nia DaCosta will be the studio's first Black female director with Captain Marvel 2. The next step will be finding a director to helm the Blade movie. In addition to Watchmen, Stacy Osei-Kuffour was a story editor on Amazon's Hunters and HBO's Run and also wrote for Hulu's comedy series PEN15.

Exactly how Blade will be folded into the Marvel Cinematic Universe remains to be seen, but now that the franchise is beginning to open up the multiverse with WandaVision and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, you can imagine how Marvel might introduce the character; after all, there doesn't exactly seem to be a bunch of vampires running around the MCU at the moment.

BLADE is probably one of the most definitive roles of Wesley Snipes' career but Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali will be taking up the mantle of the character when he eventually appears in the MCU. Despite someone else stepping into his Daywalker shoes, Snipes revealed in a recent interview that he would be open to cameo in the reboot under the right circumstances.

Snipes is making the promotional rounds for Coming 2 America and he was asked by "Entertainment Tonight" about the possibility of appearing in the new Blade movie in a cameo capacity or as a new character entirely and here's what the actor had to say:

"You never know. Under the right circumstances, I'm open to play with everybody. I know that people associate me with that role. The Daywalker community out there is a part of the Daywalker clique and our global community identifies with a little bit of that world and the new definition of Daywalkers, these global hyphenated multi-talented individuals capable of doing more things at one time, skill masters, as we call them. So, we gon' keep going, we gon' keep bringing."

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Would love to see him do a cameo but wtf is he talking about here? lol

"You never know. Under the right circumstances, I'm open to play with everybody. I know that people associate me with that role. The Daywalker community out there is a part of the Daywalker clique and our global community identifies with a little bit of that world and the new definition of Daywalkers, these global hyphenated multi-talented individuals capable of doing more things at one time, skill masters, as we call them. So, we gon' keep going, we gon' keep bringing."

Edited by Oddball

15 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Would love to see him do a cameo but wtf is he talking about here? lol

I think he's still fixated on wanting a Blade 4 most probably like an 'Old Man Blade' approach. Though does Blade age?

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think he's still fixated on wanting a Blade 4 most probably like an 'Old Man Blade' approach. Though does Blade age?

I agree. I think Mr. Snipes either is hinting to Marvel that he be an elder Daywalker in the movie to Ali's younger Daywalker Blade (thus a Daywalker community) or that's actually the case so far for the movie and Mr. Snipes just leaked it.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

If you're holding your breath while waiting to see an R-rated Blade feature in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you might want to take a quick gasp before you pass out. According to Kevin Feige himself — you know, the mastermind behind Marvel Studios — the outfit isn't considering any R-rated content outside of Deadpool 3. Now that we know Blade is in very active development at the House of Ideas, that means the movie is all but guaranteed to earn a more family-friendly rating.

As of now, it would seem that when Blade hits theaters — which could be as soon as October 2022 — it will be rated PG-13.

“I think we target everything we’re doing for kids and adults, so I think your question is more adult or R-rated," Feige said during a press stop at Disney's TCA event (via Deadline). "Other than Deadpool, which has already established itself as a certain genre and a certain rating, that we already said we would not mess with when we started working on Deadpool — which we have — other than that, we haven’t encountered a story or a storyline or a character’s journey that a PG-13 rating, or the tone, or the ratings we’ve been using up to this point has prevented us [from telling that story.]"

He added, "We haven’t been held back by it. If we ever are, then certainly there can be a discussion that can be had now that there’s other outlets like Star. But that just hasn’t been the case. We’ve told all the stories that we wanted to with the tonality and the rating we have now.”

Blade works as an R rated Film.

These aren't cuddly old ladies here - these are mass serial killers of humans.

Remember the opening from Blade #1

Best.Opening.Ever.

Like to see Jessica Biel return though.

Edited by Beige

On 2/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Beige said:

Blade works as an R rated Film.

These aren't cuddly old ladies here - these are mass serial killers of humans.

Remember the opening from Blade #1

Best.Opening.Ever.

Like to see Jessica Biel return though.

The writing re. Jessica Biel's character annoyed me. though. The *last* thing a slayer would do is put in ear buds that effectively nullifies her hearing when going into battle.

But the performances of Ryan Reynolds - and Parker Posey - made up for that writing gaffe.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

So if Deadpool 3 is going to be rated R, which is fine for the theaters, what does Disney do about streaming it? They can't put a rated R movie on Disney+ for the kids to see freely. Does the R version go to HULU and an edited PG-13 version go to Disney+?