• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's BLADE starring Mahershala Ali (2022?)
1 1

161 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So if Deadpool 3 is going to be rated R, which is fine for the theaters, what does Disney do about streaming it? They can't put a rated R movie on Disney+ for the kids to see freely. Does the R version go to HULU and an edited PG-13 version go to Disney+?

That was the initial strategy announced when Disney first started publishing its streaming strategy.

But why doesn't Disney just use its technology horsepower to implement parental controls on its existing platform as well? Make it so you can see what is in the catalog, but only can be watched with parental control codes.

24 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I don't think Logan is on there... I was looking for it the other day...

It’s only one of the top three best movies bearing the Marvel stamp. 
And the noir version is incredible. 

Edited by Oddball

On 2/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Oddball said:

That is a major disappointment and possibly a major misstep. It can still be a good movie and may tie in better with the MCU but it better be on another level to win over fans of the originals. 

I see a fair amount of blood and vampire stabbing on regular TV, I'm not sure why it NEEDs to be R. Supernatural has gotten fairly gruesome. I was watching SHIELD last night and my wife couldn't believe some scene was on regular TV.

Anyway, i saw this: https://screenrant.com/deadpool-blade-mcu-phase-5-connection-why/

Other than Ryan Reynolds being in one of the Blade movies, I don't see why there would be ANY connection between Deadpool and Blade.

BUT I can easily see a plotline where Blade has been doing his thing for years and Fury (or Rambeau or whoever was running things) recruiting him for SHIELD / SWORD to handle the vampire problem. Because we would have developed a vampire problem during the "blip" because, maybe in theory, vampires are not "life" and did not get wiped out. So just as many vampires, half as many people, for 5 years, society falling apart. Frankly, a Ronin / Blade team up would have made sense during that period, but Blade can stand on is own on the MCU periphery. This was a franchise that has THREE movies. Two of which made money. It is a little condescending to think a humor character like Deadpool needs to bring him into the MCU.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I see a fair amount of blood and vampire stabbing on regular TV, I'm not sure why it NEEDs to be R. Supernatural has gotten fairly gruesome. I was watching SHIELD last night and my wife couldn't believe some scene was on regular TV.

Anyway, i saw this: https://screenrant.com/deadpool-blade-mcu-phase-5-connection-why/

Other than Ryan Reynolds being in one of the Blade movies, I don't see why there would be ANY connection between Deadpool and Blade.

BUT I can easily see a plotline where Blade has been doing his thing for years and Fury (or Rambeau or whoever was running things) recruiting him for SHIELD / SWORD to handle the vampire problem. Because we would have developed a vampire problem during the "blip" because, maybe in theory, vampires are not "life" and did not get wiped out. So just as many vampires, half as many people, for 5 years, society falling apart. Frankly, a Ronin / Blade team up would have made sense during that period, but Blade can stand on is own on the MCU periphery. This was a franchise that has THREE movies. Two of which made money. It is a little condescending to think a humor character like Deadpool needs to bring him into the MCU.

The R rating would cover more than just violence. All around adult content as well as dropping the F bomb. It’s lame they can get away with a lot of violence but the F word gets you an R rating. And a Blade movie without Blade dropping the F bomb? Disney may as well give him a wife to carry his balls in her purse.

9266B35E-BBC9-434A-9DFE-61AF58430103.gif

10 minutes ago, Oddball said:

The R rating would cover more than just violence. All around adult content as well as dropping the F bomb. It’s lame they can get away with a lot of violence but the F word gets you an R rating. And a Blade movie without Blade dropping the F bomb? Disney may as well give him a wife to carry his balls in her purse.

9266B35E-BBC9-434A-9DFE-61AF58430103.gif

can't he just say "mother f..." a lot? never finish the rest of "f"

Work on Blade is picking up more with each passing day. Last month, it was revealed Watchmen scribe Stacy Osei-Kuffour is already at work penning the -script for the Mahershala Ali-starring reboot. Now, it looks like the movie might be even further along than originally expected. A new report from The DisInsider says the production is actively casting a character named Ruby, a teen that's said to be "thoughtful, serious, and burdened by growing up in a complex world."

It's expected Ruby will play a strong supporting role in the film. As we know from the world of casting, names found on grids shared around Tinsel Town by casting agents are often inaccurate as Marvel Studios actively tries to shield the real identity of the characters to avoid spoilers and leaks.

Because of that, there's a possibility the movie could be actively casting for the role of Fallon Grey, a Marvel character that's been in development hell for the better part of six years.

Immediately following the events of Secret Wars, Tim Seeley and Logan Faebar were set to release a new series called Blade the Hunter. The series was to follow Grey as she learned she was the daughter of Eric Brooks. The series and, in turn, Grey herself, never saw the light of day as the series was canceled once Seeley left the book.

At the time, Seeley admitted it was probably best a person of color should write the series featuring a Black teenager. Since then, fans only saw some key art teasing the book's release and some character turnarounds showing how Grey would have looked.

Other than the casting of Mahershala Ali and this reported casting grid, virtually no other details surrounding the movie's plot have surfaced. At one point, Ali did confirm the feature would have a darker tone than the rest of the MCU, even though it likely won't be rated-R.

"Since they were having conversations about bringing it back into being, I just wanted to be considered for it because I had definitely a connection, at least in my mind, to Wesley Snipes going back to high school," Ali told The Tight Rope last year. "People use to joke and say that we looked alike and all this stuff. Sometimes people try to throw a little dig on you, they call me his character name. They call me Shadow from [Spike Lee jazz drama] Mo’ Better Blues or whatever, right?"

A director has been selected

According to Deadline, Marvel Studios has tapped Bassam Tariq to direct Ali in a live-action Blade movie set in the MCU.

The report states that a deal between Marvel and Tariq isn't officially done, but that the two sides are deep in talks on the project and Marvel is clearly keen on hiring the filmmaker. Tariq is best known for directing the film Mogul Mowgli, which starred Riz Ahmed as an up-and-coming rapper on the verge of his big break. Watchmen and Hunters writer Stacy Osei-Kuffour was hired by Marvel to pen the Blade screenplay. As always, Kevin Feige will be producing.

Tariq's hiring brings an end to a long search conducted by Marvel Studios, which saw several directors take meetings and deliver pitches for a potential Blade movie. After multiple rounds, Tariq ended up with the job.

It’ll be interesting to see how Tariq takes that viewpoint into his next feature, the upcoming Marvel Studios superhero film, “Blade.” A reboot of the late-’90s, early-’00s vampire franchise, Tariq is directing the film that will introduce the character, played by Mahershala Ali, into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And the filmmaker is excited, and a bit shocked, by the idea of moving into the realm of blockbuster filmmaking.

“I didn’t think [‘Blade’] was going to happen, just to be very honest,” Tariq said. “I’m honored and it’s a privilege, but I’m here in service of Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who is the incredible writer that is writing the film…She’s just a phenomenal presence and a juggernaut in her own right. And for Mahershala [Ali]. For me, it’s really just working in their service.”

He added, “[Marvel] takes big swings, you know?…I can’t say anything about it, but I’m just so excited for what we’re doing.”

Marvel fans learned last month that Bassam Tariq will be helming the highly-anticipated Blade reboot, which will feature Oscar-winning actor Mahershala Ali in the titular role. While this will be Blade's introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the character has a long history on the big screen, with Wesley Snipes playing him in three movies from 1998 to 2004. During a recent interview with IndieWire, Tariq promised that his version will pay tribute to Snipes.

"What’s exciting about the film that we’re making is [there] hasn’t been a canon for Blade, as we’re reading through the comics and everything," Tariq explained. "Him being a daywalker is the one thing that’s been established, and you know we can’t deny what Wesley Snipes did, which was he basically got this whole ball rolling. A Black man created the superhero world that we’re in, that’s just the truth. For me to now be working with somebody as talented and a juggernaut as Mahershala Ali, and the writer Stacy Osei-Kuffour, I’m just so — I’m so honored to be working with real Black juggernauts and Black talent. For me to just be with them in this room and listen and learn as I build this out, it’s really an honor."

With a month remaining until the release of the next Phase Four installment, the official Indian Twitter account for Marvel Studios shared a lineup of upcoming MCU films to build anticipation for their releases in the country. Amongst the titles announced was the Blade reboot, which the post states will release in India on October 7, 2022, though no official confirmation has come from a domestic account.