• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever noticed this misprint in Spawn #1?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Went through a stack of about 20 copies of Spawn 1 getting ready for the Atlanta comic con coming up next month, and noticed on the inside front cover of one that the Spawn logo is all jacked up. I just figured some dumbo took a marker to it. Then I went through the rest and found 5 more identical to it. It's not marker, it was printed this way. I'd imagine it's common due to 25% of this little stack, but it's something I've never noticed before.  Anyone else seen/have one? 

20190522_174527.jpg

20190522_174553.jpg

23 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Lovely question. They're all marked at "$150 ULTRA-RARE MISPRINT!" on the stickers. 9.0-9.6 copies. 

Fixed. :baiting:

Seriously, I've never seen that, but I believe the only copy of Spawn 1 I've ever opened is the one in my PC.

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Fixed. :baiting:

Seriously, I've never seen that, but I believe the only copy of Spawn 1 I've ever opened is the one in my PC.

lol If I were still setting up at 10-15 shows a year I might try some shenanigans like that. These days I only do a few a year, and I price stuff to get gone. I had a Surfer #50 that was missing the foil on the "Silver" part of the title. I put $100 on it, my dealer friends were all "yeah, right.." and BOOM 10 short little shows later some guy couldn't give me a Franklin fast enough.

19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@newshane Thoughts on this Spawn thread?

I've never seen this. 

It's a production flaw, and it's hard for me to speculate how the CGC would treat it. Most likely, in order...

1. They would completely ignore it. 

2. They would treat it as a defect. Shouldn't impact the grade that much though. 

3. Highly doubtful, but it might get a green label. 

Honestly, it's not that exciting or interesting of a defect, and it doesn't occur on the front cover so...

If I were selling - I wouldn't modify the price at all, but I would make a note of it in my description. 

If I were buying - I would pass in favor of a cleaner copy. 

If I already owned one - I would keep it as a curiosity. 

Sorry I don't have anymore insight! 

14 minutes ago, newshane said:

I've never seen this. 

It's a production flaw, and it's hard for me to speculate how the CGC would treat it. Most likely, in order...

2. They would treat it as a defect. Shouldn't impact the grade that much though. 

Honestly, it's not that exciting or interesting of a defect, and it doesn't occur on the front cover so...

If I were selling - I wouldn't modify the price at all, but I would make a note of it in my description. 

That's enough of a response :foryou: Your the only one that I could think of that might have seen your fair share is all :) 

Having never seen it yourself, it is odd that 25% of his stack is dotted though.... makes it a tad more interesting haha

On 5/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, newshane said:

I've never seen this. 

I'd imagine that it would get ignored if CGC'd.  If it was really half of the run I feel like I would have noticed before since I've graded/priced probably 500 Spawn 1's over the years, but maybe I just never noticed before. I honestly figured there would be a lot of responses from people that also had the flaw. It's pretty ugly really, and it's on the inside cover, so I'd be shocked if anyone would want to pay any premium for it. It was mainly just a mild curiosity. 

2 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I'd imagine that it would get ignored if CGC'd.  If it was really half of the run I feel like I would have noticed before since I've graded/priced probably 500 Spawn 1's over the years, but maybe I just never noticed before. I honestly figured there would be a lot of responses from people that also had the flaw. It's pretty ugly really, and it's on the inside cover, so I'd be shocked if anyone would want to pay any premium for it. It was mainly just a mild curiosity. 

Well over a million of those were printed, so even 500 is a very small fraction of what's out there. 

Obviously 500 out of Spawn #1's massive print run doesn't equate to a drop in the bucket for the total. 500 copies is still a lot of one book. What's your point? 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Well over a million of those were printed, so even 500 is a very small fraction of what's out there. 

59 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

What's your point? 

Just a statement of fact? (shrug)

If you think I was trying to insult you, then you are way off the mark with your assumption. 

Even if we worked with 1 million (way below the actual figure) as number, then someone could examine 5,000 copies before finding one. 

26 minutes ago, newshane said:
1 hour ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

What's your point? 

Just a statement of fact? (shrug)

If you think I was trying to insult you, then you are way off the mark with your assumption. 

Even if we worked with 1 million (way below the actual figure) as number, then someone could examine 5,000 copies before finding one. 

Boys, BOYS! You're BOTH pretty! :luhv: