• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the ComicArt-L Listers Are Saying About This Forum

21 posts in this topic

An interesting array of opinions from the ComicArt-L listers concerning the new OA Forum here, ranging from enthusiastic support to outright hostility. Personally, I think there's room for both in the world.

Here's a bunch of comments from the List (I got tired of copying and pasting after the first digest that covered the topic):

mryan4567@aol.com:

"Deputy Dave.....everybody might be leaving Dodge soon.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=origart

In my honest opinion . . . . a superior UNMODERATED forum"

Ruben Espinosa:

"I checked out the board. It looks like a nightmare! First off, unmoderated sites tend to be much more aggressive and hostile. You can't say anything without some nasty responses that eventually turn into a flame-war.

Anonymous unmoderated members are nothing but bad news. Besides, it's a new forum. They're just going to rehash everything we've discussed for the last 5 + years."

Ron Lim:

"Nah. A few years ago a few people got tired of the moderation here and tried spinning off into a new group. Didn't work. Everyone eventually came back. That list is new Coke."

Jonathan Mankuta:

"I just checked it out...so many wasting time posting stupid comments...i`d blow my brains out before i jumped over there...total waste of space...seriously..."

David Mandel:

"I agree, Yahoo is NOT the answer.

However, switching the comic art-L into a moderated/hosted forum, where individual topics were their own folders and you could read what you want, along with designated areas for wants and for sale, would be FANTASTIC.

I participate in a movie prop forum, that is incredibly similar to comic art collecting, and the forum method is waaaaaay better and it doesn't clog up your email

I actually feel so strongly about this, I am writing this note, something I rarely do."

Brian Peck:

"There is nothing to see.... move on."

Jamison Frost:

"I concur with David's suggestion. I just joined this Yahoo group (hello everyone!) and am already having a bit of a hard time keeping up with topics in this manner. And it'd be fun to have avatars and sigs to further enhance our identities."

Ruben Espinosa (again):

"I actually prefer the emails. Sure, it's tough to get through sometimes but I find those other sites so annoying. I really don't want to have my eyes assaulted by a billion obnoxious animated icons every time I want to read a post. To be honest, if it wasn't because these emails appear right in my inbox I probably would have left the group a while ago. I've joined a few artists groups that are in the other format and after a day or two, just stop visiting."

Mike Pascale:

"All in all, I'd prefer a hybrid version, where, like an email program, you'd be able to choose to organize by thread title, lister name, time posted, and so on.

The whole folder thing looks too cluttered, and the colors are awful. The thread titles don't always (rarely?) adequately describe what's being discussed, and as we've seen here TOO many times, the longer the thread, the more off-topic the posts become, so it would be easy to miss something you'd want to read or reply to.

As for the "clogging email", I eliminated that years ago by switching to Web only.

The digest is a good compromise, as you're given a list of posts, enabling you to scroll to the ones you want to read. Only drawback used to be file size. If you set up a Yahoo address just for list stuff now, with their expanded allowance, you could fit 2 gigs of digests without any problems...in fact, I may switch to that myself!

Thanks for making me think about it...my brain needed the exercise. (Now what can you do for my softening bod?) ;-)

Brian Peck (again):

"I like having individual e-mails yes many I dont read but alot I do. Plus there are posts about artists contact, collectors selling or looking for particular art and I save those in my mail program if I later need that info. Message boards while nice tend to get very overwhelming too."

Enrico Salvani:

"I'm SO with you, Ruben.

We might be called lazy, but having the darn stuff automatically deposited in my neat "Comicart-L IN" mailbox whenever I check the mail, and my own posts automatically archived in the other neat "Comicart-L OUT" folder (which makes offline access way easier...), it's a method I wouldn't want to give up.

Even if I had to check the posts on the Yahoo website (with all the damn ads), I'd be outta this in two days: there's so much stuff to do around that this is the only way I feel makes it followable. And yes, all the blinking and winking and shaking stuff bugs the hell outta me too.

David Mandel (again):

"To each their own.

I am not distracted by "colored folders". I find the forum system works fantastic-- topics that die out move down and the hottest, most recent topics are at the top of the list.

In addition, all wanted and for sales are kept seperately-- so people who just want that info can get it damn easily.

Also, people who want to ignore certain topics or certain silly arguments that break out here from time to time can do so.

At the end of the day, reading the list isn't back-breaking work. We're all just clicking mice and scrolling. I personally like the more precise control of forum topics. That way, if you hated this very topic and all my emails, you could avoid them!

Also, by starting over with a new forum, the moderator could demand real names from all members.

I don't think I am going to convince anyone to make the switch. But maybe one will rise up.

Again, one man's opinion."

Mike Rice:

"Yeah it's a great idea. You click on a thread you think you'd be interesed in and are greeted by 50 dancing banannas and other animated gifs.

With all the [embarrasing lack of self control] everyone attaches to their sigs, pages like this take forever to load.

I like the idea of a forum based message board - but hate all the [embarrasing lack of self control] that comes with them.

Give me the plain old e-mail digest any day.

My two cents."

I caught the beginning of that thread (I was wondering why Terry showed up, so I went through the digests) and then tuned it out.

But this thread is missing the folks (Hi Hari) who mentioned they *like* this board and the "Message Board" system.

Each system has it's own merits - no [embarrasing lack of self control] contest here.

Terry

I'm a member of the comicart-L group and have a gallery on www.comicartfans.com and I love having another site at which to discuss my favorite hobby. I love original art and any way I can get someone else to love original art is fine by me.

I am very loyal to the comicart-L group and comicartfans, but I'll definitely be posting scans to this forum. Heck, I posted a link to my comicartfans.com gallery in a separate thread so that everyone here can see what I've got and give me comments!

Great forum! And keep up the good work!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3650

Mike Browning

Mike, I love that Doom Patrol #1 cover. Great stuff! thumbsup2.gif

That Doom Patrol cover is, in my opinion, the best art Steve Lightle ever did. I loved it when I was a child and never thought I'd get the original art. But, after a couple of years of not looking at the internet for art, I clicked over to Tom Fleming's www.fanfare-se.com and there it was. I had bought quite a bit of art and decided to make Tom an offer and he accepted and made the trade with me. Wow! I can't say how incredible it was to get this cover in the mail. When I opened the package, I was in awe. It's super-huge, too!

Everyone should visit Tom's site. He's got hundreds of pieces of art, ranging in price from really cheap to around $20,000. Most of his art is cheaper than it would be on any other site and he's really awesome to deal with. Tell him Mike Browning sent you.

Mike, I love that Doom Patrol #1 cover. Great stuff! thumbsup2.gif

That Doom Patrol cover is, in my opinion, the best art Steve Lightle ever did. I loved it when I was a child and never thought I'd get the original art. But, after a couple of years of not looking at the internet for art, I clicked over to Tom Fleming's www.fanfare-se.com and there it was. I had bought quite a bit of art and decided to make Tom an offer and he accepted and made the trade with me. Wow! I can't say how incredible it was to get this cover in the mail. When I opened the package, I was in awe. It's super-huge, too!

Everyone should visit Tom's site. He's got hundreds of pieces of art, ranging in price from really cheap to around $20,000. Most of his art is cheaper than it would be on any other site and he's really awesome to deal with. Tell him Mike Browning sent you.

I'll second that. Tom is great to deal with. I've bought a few pages through him and sent a buddy to him as well.

Mike Rice:

With all the [embarrasing lack of self control] everyone attaches to their sigs, pages like this take forever to load.

Someone should clue him in that you can change your user settings to filter out signature lines and avatars. I did that a long time ago and love the uncluttered version that I get now. I can`t imagine going back. People load so much stupid cra-p into their signatures.

Mike Rice:

Someone should clue him in that you can change your user settings to filter out signature lines and avatars. I did that a long time ago and love the uncluttered version that I get now. I can`t imagine going back. People load so much stupid cra-p into their signatures.

I actually just turned sigs back on. There were a couple that used to really bug me (the Human Torch one making a heart or something? - ugh), but I haven't seen too many big ones so far now that they're back on. I figure if I have a want list in my sig the least I can do is look at other people's.

Since he's not biatching about the sigs themselves - only the load times, a better solution would be for him to get broadband, like most normal people. screwy.gif

Mike Rice:

I actually just turned sigs back on. There were a couple that used to really bug me (the Human Torch one making a heart or something? - ugh), but I haven't seen too many big ones so far now that they're back on. I figure if I have a want list in my sig the least I can do is look at other people's.

Since he's not biatching about the sigs themselves - only the load times, a better solution would be for him to get broadband, like most normal people. screwy.gif

I leave sigs and avatars on and use Firefox Adblocker to block the large sig images and avatars I don't like.

I leave sigs and avatars on and use Firefox Adblocker to block the large sig images and avatars I don't like.

Yup, Darth Tater just got Adblocked last night when I ran into him. thumbsup2.gif