• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

553 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 12:14 AM, I like pie said:

OLED55G4SUB. I'll test a torrent tomorrow but it only seems to be an issue on D+ for me(shrug)

I’ve got a C1, I’ll check it out today to see if it’s the app for WebOS. I’ll check the AVS forums as well. 

On 7/9/2024 at 11:28 PM, drotto said:

Why are we excusing shows for making 8 episodes where 7 are marginal to bad and maybe one is good? Doing enough to string us along to maybe get thrown a bone, if they manage to stick the landing? I think it is reasonable to want every episode to have value, and provide entertainment.  It is the writers and showrunners responsibility to hook us from episode one, not make empty promises the next may be better. That does not mean your need to give us instant gratification, but you must give people something.  Here is another mystery box.  Here is another supposed cliffhanger. Here is another new character you have given me no reason to get invested in. Not to bore people while playing on their hopes there may be something more, with viewers coming up with fan theories that are almost always better than the actual payoff. 

I disagree with some here, this is not good TV let alone good Star Wars, take that for my opinion nothing more. But when your penultimate episode is 70% new footage, 30% reused footage from different angles, unexplained plot points, poorly explained motivations, and almost non-sequiturs, how is that good?  That does not even scratch the poor acting and dialog, or where $180 million went. 

Want to watch good television, go watch House of the Dragon, go watch Shogun, go watch the Bear, where the writing and acting  are so many leagues above the Acolyte it is not even funny. 

I am not.  I am enjoying the show.   When I say, stick the landing, I want to see if they tie it into the birth of Anakin.  Somehow the Sith learned how to do that. 

If you really want me to lay into it, I will but it kind of involves that William Shatner episode of SNL from years ago. 

What I did find annoying from this week's episode was some ballad at the end.  

On 7/10/2024 at 7:47 AM, Buzzetta said:

What I did find annoying from this week's episode was some ballad at the end.  

Yeah, that seemed…out of place. Thought I had started a new show or picked up another show at the end. Weird. 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:54 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, that seemed…out of place. Thought I had started a new show or picked up another show at the end. Weird. 

If it sounded something the Halo theme or some choral track to mark the coven I would have preferred that.  I shrug though and I still have things to do around the house today. lol 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:58 AM, Buzzetta said:

If it sounded something the Halo theme or some choral track to mark the coven I would have preferred that.  I shrug though and I still have things to do around the house today. lol 

Same. 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:41 AM, awakeintheashes said:
On 7/10/2024 at 12:14 AM, I like pie said:

OLED55G4SUB. I'll test a torrent tomorrow but it only seems to be an issue on D+ for me(shrug)

I’ve got a C1, I’ll check it out today to see if it’s the app for WebOS. I’ll check the AVS forums as well. 

I just checked it out and compared the two streams. Both look good to me. 

Does your D+ need an update? When I originally started the show in WebOS, I didn’t get the Dolby Vision badge, instead the HDR badge popped up and the picture didn’t look as great as it did on the AppleTV. After updating the app, Dolby Vision worked and the picture seemed better. 

On 7/10/2024 at 11:06 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I just checked it out and compared the two streams. Both look good to me. 

Does your D+ need an update? When I originally started the show in WebOS, I didn’t get the Dolby Vision badge, instead the HDR badge popped up and the picture didn’t look as great as it did on the AppleTV. After updating the app, Dolby Vision worked and the picture seemed better. 

Thanks for checking! It goes in and out, so maybe it's a wifi issue. The Dolby bade is present the whole time.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:14 PM, I like pie said:

Thanks for checking! It goes in and out, so maybe it's a wifi issue. The Dolby bade is present the whole time.

No problem. Yeah, that could be it. Mine is wired because I used to have similar issues back in the day. 

There is something very odd when I can randomly pick two dozen reviews and they are not just on the fence, they are all across the board suggesting that this is some of the worse writing and acting we have ever seen. I tend to agree with a lot of this. Are there some cool aspects, yes, the battle scenes are some of the best but the rest of all this drivel and messaging on top of a junk plot is just too much. So when I see people saying that “this is great” I’m having a tough time taking them seriously. 

Once again Jedi bad and the villains are just misunderstood.  :wavingwhiteflag:Disney rinse and repeat same old same old!

And you got to love the back to back episodes showing "How to Catch a Predator"....sorry I mean "JEDI"

Well what should we expect from Darth Leslye .  She was trained well from the Lord Weinstein as his padawan! 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Definitely seeing more and more people on social media enjoying the show versus the first few episodes. The gatekeepers are loud though. I find it very interesting how vicious and shaming some can be about a tv show(both sides). I don't remember even the sequels being this divisive.

Pragmatically, from a SW standpoint...it's Episode 1 level of acting and directing.
(wooden dialogue and directing / cool bad guy / cool lightsaber stuff)
One of worst of the recent Disney era.
'Somehow Palpatine returns' edges it out by a margin.

From Disney+ with a reported budget of $180 million dollars / $22.5 million per episode the show is an awful waste of money.

Full disclosure, I sail the high seas for a 4K copy of the newest episode every Wednesday morning so I don't feel that upset.
That being said, I did subscribe to HBO Max just for HotD S2 so I can watch it live and will cancel Max once S2 is over and I do feel that is money well spent.

Edited by troydivision1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:59 PM, troydivision1 said:

From Disney+ with a reported budget of $180 million dollars / $22.5 million per episode the show is an awful waste of money.

Completely agree. Although it's enjoyable I can't imagine where all that money went to unless Keanu Reeves shows up in the finalelol

I wonder if this show will become that go-to reference for a complete train wreck of a tv show.   hm

Fonzie jumped the shark, and Leslie turned the light saber into a whip.

Though there will be a payoff with Mae and Osha being revealed the physical embodiment of schizophrenia.  The perfect tie-in for the countless contradictions in the script.  

And as they say, write from what you know.