• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

553 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2024 at 6:59 PM, troydivision1 said:

Pragmatically, from a SW standpoint...it's Episode 1 level of acting and directing.
(wooden dialogue and directing / cool bad guy / cool lightsaber stuff)
One of worst of the recent Disney era.
'Somehow Palpatine returns' edges it out by a margin.

From Disney+ with a reported budget of $180 million dollars / $22.5 million per episode the show is an awful waste of money.

Full disclosure, I sail the high seas for a 4K copy of the newest episode every Wednesday morning so I don't feel that upset.
That being said, I did subscribe to HBO Max just for HotD S2 so I can watch it live and will cancel Max once S2 is over and I do feel that is money well spent.

It's not really even 8 episodes, since episode 7 is maybe 50% new footage. So really $24 million per episode. 😜 

Let's also point our HotD costs around $20 million per episode, is on average 25 minutes longer per episode, and gave us a full on dragon battle that lasted like 20 minutes last week.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:50 AM, Microchip said:

I wonder if this show will become that go-to reference for a complete train wreck of a tv show.   hm

Fonzie jumped the shark, and Leslie turned the light saber into a whip.

Though there will be a payoff with Mae and Osha being revealed the physical embodiment of schizophrenia.  The perfect tie-in for the countless contradictions in the script.  

And as they say, write from what you know.

Well they did not completely write from what they know, otherwise we would have had a ton of cats in the show rather then kids.  Look at the Marvels. 

Also remember when Leslie was hired and this show was greenlit.  At that time Iger had publically announced he was cutting budgets, and trimming new content.  But the story goes that when Leslie pitched this show to Kathleen,she was so moved by the idea, that she did a soft end round on Iger. Hired Leslie and oked the show despite the creative hold set by Iger.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:50 AM, Microchip said:

I wonder if this show will become that go-to reference for a complete train wreck of a tv show.   hm

Fonzie jumped the shark, and Leslie turned the light saber into a whip.

Though there will be a payoff with Mae and Osha being revealed the physical embodiment of schizophrenia.  The perfect tie-in for the countless contradictions in the script.  

And as they say, write from what you know.

It was a whip for a while before this show even premiered, so that's not on her. 

The Lighsaber Whip/Lightwhip has been around since 1977 and has been used many times throughout Legends. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 7/12/2024 at 2:45 PM, awakeintheashes said:

It was a whip for a while before this show even premiered, so that's not on her. 

Don't bother. There's always going to be some reason it's the worst show ever. My forum experience has been so much more enjoyable after blocking a couple frothing at the mouth, anti-Disney fanatics.lol

Edited by I like pie

On 7/13/2024 at 6:03 AM, I like pie said:

Don't bother. There's always going to be some reason it's the worst show ever. My forum experience has been so much more enjoyable after blocking a couple frothing at the mouth, anti-Disney fanatics.lol

You've not provided a single point backing up your position, you've simply attacked everyone for their own opinion.

Good for you (thumbsu  :censored:

Edited by Microchip

On 7/13/2024 at 1:22 AM, Microchip said:

You've not provided a single point backing up your position, you've simply attacked everyone for their own opinion.

Good for you (thumbsu  :censored:

Like any show there are elements of the program that I shrug at or think could have been improved.  However there is a lot of "dumping" on this show for various reasons about what a fandom believes "Star Wars" should be versus what is actually presented.   Certain elements do not align with their beliefs or their current take on aspects of society. 

What they forget is that Lucas himself has come out and said that when he was writing Star Wars that the Vietnam War was a large influence on his take of the Universe.   In an interview with James Cameron, Lucas says in the link, "The irony is that, in both of those, the little guys won. The highly technical empire -- the English Empire, the American Empire -- lost. That was the whole point," Lucas says."  

Lucas talks about being anti-authority and social issues and how people react to them.   The Rebels were the Viet-Cong while the Empire was the United States. 

I have shrugged at the criticism of how the two sisters were created in a "lesbian coven".  Last I checked kids were created through manipulation of the force as revealed by Lucas himself in Episode 1.  Palpatine is assumed to have manipulated the force to create the perfect apprentice in Anakin. 

I have shrugged at the criticism that the Jedi can be manipulative or are not the pillars of good.  Filoni explored this concept in Clone Wars almost twenty years ago in how Jedi were taken under Lucas, production as well as Jedi that were up to no good or could even "gasp" be turned to the dark side.  Yes, we are talking about sanctioned CIA level stuff, but that is nothing new.  Jedi were also known to disobey the Jedi Order and do what they want, (<cough> Qui Gon). 

Star Wars was political during the sequels.  I remember how the line "So this is how Liberty dies with thunderous applause" was received upon release of Episode III and how it was perceived as Anti American back in 2005.  Looking back at Lucas' interview with Cameron, this was a deliberate critique of America at the time. 

It has become popular to dump on Star Wars. Lucas has said many times, that he wrote Star Wars for kids.  The issue with the fandom is that the kids grew up and no longer look at the new material with the whimsey that their ignorance afforded them and they now see what Star Wars has always been but cannot accept it for whatever reasons. 

BTW... I still like this series far better than Abrams', "Force Awakens".  THAT was a hot mess of repetitive narrative with missed opportunity. 

On 7/14/2024 at 2:51 AM, Buzzetta said:

Like any show there are elements of the program that I shrug at or think could have been improved.  However there is a lot of "dumping" on this show for various reasons about what a fandom believes "Star Wars" should be versus what is actually presented.   Certain elements do not align with their beliefs or their current take on aspects of society. 

Don't quote me, if you're going to completely miss the point of my remark.

:facepalm:

On 7/13/2024 at 7:24 PM, Microchip said:

Don't quote me, if you're going to completely miss the point of my remark.

:facepalm:

I didn't.  Since he was not offering his take on why other's keep bashing the show, I will offer my take. 

:facepalm:  Shame you could not see that. 

On 7/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

I didn't.  Since he was not offering his take on why other's keep bashing the show, I will offer my take. 

:facepalm:  Shame you could not see that. 

That part was good.  Like everyone else here you can say your piece without offering a character assignations of those who differ.

That level of maturity is refreshing to see.  Tolerance is rare virtue these days.

Why he keeps posting the same attacks on everyone is beyond me, but there you go.

On 7/13/2024 at 7:45 PM, Microchip said:

That part was good.  Like everyone else here you can say your piece without offering a character assignations of those who differ.

That level of maturity is refreshing to see.  Tolerance is rare virtue these days.

Why he keeps posting the same attacks on everyone is beyond me, but there you go.

Why? Because he/she (not calling you out on that potential misgendering :bigsmile: ) can’t address any of the criticism. So much easier to just play the victim. 

On 7/14/2024 at 12:42 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Why? Because he/she (not calling you out on that potential misgendering :bigsmile: ) can’t address any of the criticism. So much easier to just play the victim. 

Is that directed toward me?  Not sure to be honest. 

I still am not in a rush to watch. The last time I was excited for Star Wars was Boba Fett and Obi Wan. My two favorite characters. Needless to say... now everything is just "something to binge-watch" when I get bored. That day won't come anytime soon. I'd rather come on the boards and read. Lol.

Why did Mae want to burn Osha's notebook that started the fire?  I was watching it with three other people and we somehow all missed that.

On 7/14/2024 at 8:25 PM, fantastic_four said:

Why did Mae want to burn Osha's notebook that started the fire?  I was watching it with three other people and we somehow all missed that.

Think it is as simple as she knew it was important to her sister and she wanted to destroy it.  They really did not give it any more importance. Kid destroys the other kids favorite "toy" because they were mad at them. 

What I am still puzzling over is how that caused the entire base to blow up. (shrug)

Edited by drotto