• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Black Suit!

First Black Suit!!  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is (In your opinion) the first appearance of Spider-Man's Black/ alien suit?

• Amazing Spider-Man #252
    • Marvel Team-Up #141
    • Spectacular Spider-Man #90
    • Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars #8
    • Marvel Age #12
    • The weird preview stuff.
    • ROM: Spaceknight #1

55 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

I'm far from as expert, so this could very well be wrong ... if you go by chronological order (story-wise), wouldn't SW8 come before 252?

Yeah, it should. Except this is a hobby where people (Myself included) pay lots of money for paper..

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

I'm far from as expert, so this could very well be wrong ... if you go by chronological order (story-wise), wouldn't SW8 come before 252?

Chronologically from a story perspective, yes, SW # 8 should be the 1st appearance.  But they have Origin stories that release after a character appears all the time.

Thanos as an example has his 1st appearance in Iron Man #55 (technically Thanos as a robot) cover dated Feb 1973, then cameo appearances in Captain Marvel #25 (only in the shadows) and #26 (on the last 2 pages) with his 1st full non-robot Appearance #27.  But his Origin story was not until Captain Marvel #33 that is cover dated July 1974.  By my list, which I am not saying is 100% accurate, his origin story was his 14th appearance and included the origin story for Drax and Death as well.

That is a full year and 5 months between 1st appearance and Origin in this example.  This is an extreme though others are not quite this drawn out.

I am then confused.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

Here you say chronologically in the story SW8 came before 252, which is accurate. 

3 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I feel like origin stories are kind of different. It's a story concerning something that happened in the past.

Secret Wars 8 is the Origin of the black alien suit.

So which way do you want it, Origin or actual 1st appearance? hm

6 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

I am then confused.

Here you say chronologically in the story SW8 came before 252, which is accurate. 

Secret Wars 8 is the Origin of the black alien suit.

So which way do you want it, Origin or actual 1st appearance? hm

Aren't both stories told 'in the present'? IOW, as they're happening.

Maybe.

I think of an origin story to be something like this , "Let me tell you how I got my powers. I was just walking down the street a while back..."

IOW - something that happened in the 'past'.

Secret Wars is a story that takes place "in the gap" of Marvel's April/May 1984 titles. It didn't happen concurrently with the Marvel universe of the present. In that sense, it IS a story told about events already past, even if the events in the issues themselves are told from a present point of view. 

As explained in the splash page of ASM #252, the events of #252 (and forward) occur AFTER the events of Secret Wars (which wouldn't see final publication for almost another year.)

In any event, ASM #252 is the first appearance of the black costume from a publication standpoint. 

59 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Maybe.

I think of an origin story to be something like this , "Let me tell you how I got my powers. I was just walking down the street a while back..."

IOW - something that happened in the 'past'.

While yes that can be 1 way an Origin is explained, it can also happen in "realtime" in the story as well.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Secret Wars is a story that takes place "in the gap" of Marvel's April/May 1984 titles. It didn't happen concurrently with the Marvel universe of the present. In that sense, it IS a story told about events already past, even if the events in the issues themselves are told from a present point of view. 

As explained in the splash page of ASM #252, the events of #252 (and forward) occur AFTER the events of Secret Wars (which wouldn't see final publication for almost another year.)

In any event, ASM #252 is the first appearance of the black costume from a publication standpoint. 

I agree with this.

12 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Maybe being a 12 issue LS is a contributing factor to any controversy?

I think the controversy is that the "story" has changed over the years.  Originally shops, albeit inaccurately, labeled SW #8 as the 1st appearance of Black Suit spidey (at least where I bought my copy of SW8 did).  Then it was a tie for 1st between ASM 252, MTU 141 and PPSSM 90 based on the cover date of May 1984.  So now that we have all this information literally at our fingertips, thanks to the interwebs, people are discovering the error and that in truth ASM 252 released 2 weeks prior to any of the contenders. 

Even with the hard evidence of this information people are still going to believe what they believe, and that is their right no matter how untruthful that belief is.  Sometimes debating can make someone "see the light" but in most cases it just continues to pit person versus person.

I am not versed in the Rom #1 part of the poll so I have no comments on that.  Someone want to shed some light it?

16 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

I think the controversy is that the "story" has changed over the years.  Originally shops, albeit inaccurately, labeled SW #8 as the 1st appearance of Black Suit spidey (at least where I bought my copy of SW8 did).  Then it was a tie for 1st between ASM 252, MTU 141 and PPSSM 90 based on the cover date of May 1984.  So now that we have all this information literally at our fingertips, thanks to the interwebs, people are discovering the error and that in truth ASM 252 released 2 weeks prior to any of the contenders. 

Even with the hard evidence of this information people are still going to believe what they believe, and that is their right no matter how untruthful that belief is.  Sometimes debating can make someone "see the light" but in most cases it just continues to pit person versus person.

I am not versed in the Rom #1 part of the poll so I have no comments on that.  Someone want to shed some light it?

I just put that on there to see if anyone would vote for it.