• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Magazine Covers-Contenders or Pretenders?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, OtherEric said:

If we're including National Lampoons the Death issue with the dog cover is a shoo-in.  Not sure if you can slab NatLamps, though.

These might also qualify, I don't have the Death issue to share:

NatLamp_1972_01.jpg

NatLamp_1973_08_edit.jpg

L O L I have never seen that pie in the face cover before🤣🤣🥴😃😃😜 now that is classic👍

first pie in the face cover :flipbait:

I started this thread for people’s thoughts on the subject. There are some covers it’s easy to classify as classic. Others are open to disagreement with fans. Where does it stop being just popular and become classic? When is it iconic vs classic? You can point to something easily like Black Cat #50 because it’s been a in demand cover back to the 1960’s at least and has been reproduced a million times over in various sources but a lot of other more “recent” classic covers have yet to prove such longevity. It’s actually harder to have a concensus on a lot of covers.

I agree. 

One of the things I try to keep in mind is that just because I think something is a classic cover, other folks may not see it the same way. I like to be able to back up that designation by offering some tangible proof that a book is already regarded as a classic cover (such as recognition in the OPG, for example). But in the magazine world, certain books that probably should be recognized aren't, which makes it more difficult. For example, I think most folks would agree that Eerie #23 is a classic cover in every sense of the word. But what about a book like Eerie #46? Personally, I love that cover, but I don't know if calling it a classic is appropriate. It's a great cover, but "classic cover" seems to imply a bit more, doesn't it?  (shrug)

image.png.20c6fa8a4a1403505d9a209407a74e91.png

The only thing that could possibly make this even more stellar a cover would be if Norman Mingo had painted it instead of Kelly Freas, but I'm sure there are those who prefer Freas' Mad cover work to Mingo.....so there's that!

Edited by wpbooks01

I'd say it's arguably classic! It's the only Life magazine I've had a hard time keeping in stock in my own inventory and at used book and magazine stores where I worked that carried old Life Magazines. Probably the runner up would be the Zapruder/JFK cover. That Manson Life cover has a Life of it's own, I daresay.....even was used as an album cover...sort of....

image.png.5353146de2626c4aa69e0be91f1dc564.png

Pop Smear magazine #20 (1999)

image.png.9a3d90eab8b55c6fbcb4114637f94184.png

To name but a few.....

Edited by wpbooks01

On 6/13/2019 at 5:11 AM, FoggyNelson said:

L O L I have never seen that pie in the face cover before🤣🤣🥴😃😃😜 now that is classic👍

first pie in the face cover :flipbait:

BTW, it's a joke on this, in case the reference was missed due to 'pie smearings'

image.png.193e1ccac6b378fb6aaad1024075eca6.png

image.png.f866a92ff2b6c3eccfd607dac19ffd33.png