• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Magazine Covers-Contenders or Pretenders?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I think that Terror Tales Issue #2 (V1 #8) gives over 95% of Pre-Code Horror books a hard run for their money.  And really needs to be understood by the greater comic community for this "historical significance".  Meatgrinder is right up there as well.

@SAKI great copy!  Glad that you were able to scoop one up.

Yes. Thanks again for selling me a 9.0 copy. I think it’s time to entombed it.

034A2CCA-75EE-4751-9D47-65A16B3DB37B.gif.27aa24383787fa3e8685efb11303c7a3.gif

11 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

I think that Terror Tales Issue #2 (V1 #8) gives over 95% of Pre-Code Horror books a hard run for their money.  And really needs to be understood by the greater comic community for this "historical significance".  Meatgrinder is right up there as well.

@SAKI great copy!  Glad that you were able to scoop one up.

bounty_coder I agree with you! So many criminally underrated magazines covers.

Thank you! I was lucky to find this nice copy a few months ago (After a couple of years searching for the right one..(:)

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I’m not. It’s a pretty heavily reproduced Frazetta piece for a while now. There’s a lot of classic covers on comics that don’t do much for me but I have to acknowledge their status just by how many times I see them reproduced in things over and over again.

The internet also has helped create a lot of the newer ones today.

Creepy #15 is probably one of the more old school classic covers. I saw it here first since Creepy #15 was well before my time.

Don't get me wrong; I love Creepy #15.  But what I am saying is that there are CERTAINLY other (especially Frazetta) covers done in the Magazine space that are far more worthy of a Classic label than Creepy #15. 

All I'm saying is that if Creepy #15 has the designation; these should as well...

Creepy #4

creepy_4.png.f187acc32b6d10c89f6554af178d047d.png

Creepy #5

creepy_5.png.fd55f83fbd2070b3f1216efc428e8ebd.png

Creepy #6

creepy_6.png.35d965e22cf667b949a8db06f55d42d9.png

Creepy #7

creepy_7.png.e8baac8f41d8f585a5bcaf9687c93417.png

Creepy #9

creepy_9.png.e2d5792e899fa5860d825a9c5f6e40ae.png

Creepy #10

creepy_10.png.30286b4c41c6938b5a68082bb3c0a88d.png

- bounty

23 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Don't get me wrong; I love Creepy #15.  But what I am saying is that there are CERTAINLY other (especially Frazetta) covers done in the Magazine space that are far more worthy of a Classic label than Creepy #15. 

All I'm saying is that if Creepy #15 has the designation; these should as well...

Creepy #4

creepy_4.png.f187acc32b6d10c89f6554af178d047d.png

Creepy #5

creepy_5.png.fd55f83fbd2070b3f1216efc428e8ebd.png

Creepy #6

creepy_6.png.35d965e22cf667b949a8db06f55d42d9.png

Creepy #7

creepy_7.png.e8baac8f41d8f585a5bcaf9687c93417.png

Creepy #9

creepy_9.png.e2d5792e899fa5860d825a9c5f6e40ae.png

Creepy #10

creepy_10.png.30286b4c41c6938b5a68082bb3c0a88d.png

- bounty

It’s hard to not pick most of Frazetta’s work as classic. 

Since you can’t select everything though I was trying to determine what books are  popular enough, command a premium, and widely enough known to collectors to fall into that gap of classic vs just a cool popular cover.

I would put Creepy #15 into the same category as Black Cat #50 in comics. It has been a old school classic cover vs some others which are just now coming into their own. I won’t disagree with any of the covers you posted as being great but which one of the ones you posted do you think should receive classic status with the above criteria?

Also you mentioned 2 of the Eerie pubs that I thought easily should be classic covers but are there others worthy? You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable posters here on Eerie pub material. 

49 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Also no one has mentioned a single one of the Marvel magazine line. Any covers there worthy of the CGC classic cover tag?

Dracula lives #1

images (1).jpeg

I think the problem you run into with first issues or appearances you get into iconic vs classic. Everyone knows Action comics #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15 but neither get noted as classic covers. 

Doesn’t matter how well known they are they simply get noted for their other reasons of importance.

Edited by N e r V

Could Vampire Tales #2 ever be considered as a classic cover? A number of dealers have told me it’s cover has been a strong selling point beyond Satana. It’s seems out there a lot these days. Agree or disagree?

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Could Vampire Tales #2 ever be considered as a classic cover? A number of dealers have told me it’s cover has been a strong selling point beyond Satana. It’s seems out there a lot these days. Agree or disagree?

How about we DEFINE exactly what parameters we are working with here.

What IS a Classic cover?

• One that is known well and liked by the majority?
  • One that could be considered a near masterpiece by enthusiasts?
  • One that that evokes a type of emotion that cannot be explained?
  • One that tells a story simply within its creation?
  • One that is technically accurate and is simply a wonder to gaze at?
  • Combination of all of these things?

What makes a Cover Classic in your Eyes?

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

I think that Vampire Tales #2 contains a lot of very strong aspects which I consider to be VERY HIGH in the rankings for Comic Magazine covers.

• The Composition is amazing
  • The space, feel and perspective is awesome.
  • The juxtaposition between beast and beauty
  • The color palette blends, swirls and highlights the picture in a very unique way.
  • It has a mystic quality.

vt_2.png.353ee7a4d5a38c17b80ba9fbc37447d1.png

- bounty

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

How about we DEFINE exactly what parameters we are working with here.

What IS a Classic cover?

• One that is known well and liked by the majority?
  • One that could be considered a near masterpiece by enthusiasts?
  • One that that evokes a type of emotion that cannot be explained?
  • One that tells a story simply within its creation?
  • One that is technically accurate and is simply a wonder to gaze at?
  • Combination of all of these things?

What makes a Cover Classic in your Eyes?

It can be a subjective term. There are some listed as classic covers that get universal agreement and some that don’t. Not everyone has the same taste.

So it probably comes down to those books that have the widest appeal for their cover to the point of 1) being way more expensive than surrounding issues due to demand 2) being used and reproduced often (how often do you see Suspense comics #3 or Black Cat #50 used vs other popular but considered non classic comics?). Classic covers will (usually) stand out from the rest to most people.

An example could be Superman #13,14,15. All solid Superman covers but which one stands out with a premium in price/demand? 

1E46F154-B42D-4E48-9897-50FAE83E6DC9.jpeg.3b91d30abf9c9f318b4256c324edd062.jpeg

58B1BF09-92BD-4BC7-B0C4-89BEF5E48088.thumb.jpeg.89d53dcd8c963f8a58bfb4ef37f245bc.jpeg

65BCA6F1-F454-41EC-8A60-EFB189D1B256.jpeg.4724c5e1e6dcc477f6839a4972528b4e.jpeg

( I think I made it obvious. Lol)

So that’s  the purpose of this thread. What’s already noted as classic and what do you guys feel the marketplace is saying is classic based solely on their appetite for the cover but not currently being noted as such by CGC.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:29 PM, PopKulture said:

Do they need to be by Frazetta only?? (:

How about an appropriately chilling and dubious MOY cover from 1943:

26646811.db0e7a9c.800.jpg

The enemy of my enemy is my friend :( In 1943, it wasn't generally known that "Uncle Joe" was just as much a monster as Hitler. 

Holy ! I didn't realize it but that was Stalin's second man of the year cover. Hitler got one too.  

Edited by Jeffro™

What I'm also noticing is that a lot of covers which are considered classic and which "intrinsically feel classic" to me have almost a "Front and Center" primary focus to them.  Often with the subjects looking ahead at you or close to it.

What I mean by this is the cover has it's subject(s) composed well; space filled well (or padded proportionally) and generally front and center.  With strong; strong emphasis on the scene at hand. 

I think this is why a lot of Frazetta work feels so immense and classic; since he scopes and hones all of the attention into a very specific part of his painting yet the surrounding is supported with immaculate detail and flow if you desire to venture into it.

- bounty

I think having the label read cover by Frazetta is nearly as good as the classic cover on the label. Frazetta comic covers are at a peak in their $ premium these days.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, N e r V said:

Also no one has mentioned a single one of the Marvel magazine line. Any covers there worthy of the CGC classic cover tag?

I know this is another Frazetta, but I consider this one of THE Classics. I had never seen the painting before I saw this mag for sale on the stands. :) 

EpicIllustrated001.jpg