• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s X-MEN '97 animated series (2023)
4 4

166 posts in this topic

Disney and Marvel Studios likely paid a "heavy price" for the rights to the X-Men: The Animated Series theme song, according to X-Men '97 consultant Eric Lewald. The first X-Men title from Kevin Feige's Marvel Studios, the all-new animated series revisits and continues the iconic era and cast of mutants from the original show Lewald developed and showran for Marvel Entertainment and Saban. But rights to the classic theme song, which opened all 76 episodes and five seasons of the beloved '90s animated series (now streaming on Disney+), were subject to separate renegotiations when Marvel began developing the revival set to premiere in 2023.

"[The X-Men: The Animated Series theme song] wasn't a done deal necessarily when they were producing the new show. The rights were all over the place," Lewald said during a recent appearance at Pennsylvania's Steel City convention. "I think a secondary person had the rights to the music, so it was a negotiation for them. Obviously, you can't do the new show without that song."

X-Men: The Animated Series director Larry Houston is paying tribute to late Cyclops voice actor Norm Spencer on the anniversary of his death. Spencer, who voiced the mutant field commander and the "previously on X-Men" introductions for all five seasons between 1992 and 1997, died on August 31, 2020, at age 62. While the cause of death is not known, Spencer's longtime X-Men co-star Cal Dodd — the voice of Scott Summers' rival and teammate, Wolverine — announced the Canadian actor's passing on social media. 

This is easily my most anticipated new Marvel release on Disney+

Most of what they've offered so far hasn't been my cup of tea, but I've enjoyed a couple of them very much.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:48 AM, Logan510 said:

This is easily my most anticipated new Marvel release on Disney+

Most of what they've offered so far hasn't been my cup of tea, but I've enjoyed a couple of them very much.

Agreed. I can't wait for this. It's just a shame we won't get the familiar sounding 'Previously on X-Men'. I hope they get a good sound-alike for Cyclops and the Voice over guy. 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:05 PM, Cat said:

Agreed. I can't wait for this. It's just a shame we won't get the familiar sounding 'Previously on X-Men'. I hope they get a good sound-alike for Cyclops and the Voice over guy. 

Couldn't they just reuse the old audio of "previously on X-Men"?

On 10/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, sd2416 said:

Couldn't they just reuse the old audio of "previously on X-Men"?

I'd be happy with that. It'd be a nice nod to Spencer's legacy. Disney apparently paid a lot for the old theme song, it'd be neat to see them try and make a deal with Spencer's estate for use of his voice. 

I will give this a chance. I really hated the original X-Men series. I was about 14-15 at the time it hit, and had been a serious, hardcore X-Men fan since around age 9. X-Men was LIFE! The cartoon seemed like such a dumbed down, kiddified version of the comics, and I was a brat about it. I also strongly disliked the character designs. They seemed so stiff and overly detailed compared to the fluid, beautiful animation of Batman the Animated Series.

As an adult I realized that I should have just been able to appreciate the fact that the show existed at all! I watched most of them when they were streaming (was it Hulu? I can't remember) and I enjoyed it a great deal. Sure, I still didn't like the animation or character design, but I was able to appreciate how much they TRIED to streamline decades of superhero soap opera into an entertaining kids show. I'd been much too harsh on it. So, I am looking forward to seeing what this holds.

Picking up not long after the events of the "final" episode "Graduation Day" (directed by Houston and written by James Krieg), the series will apparently deal with the fallout stemming from the world witnessing Henry Peter Gyrich shooting Xavier during a Mutant/Human Relations Summit. While Xavier & Lilandra leave for the Shi'Ar home world for Xavier's cure, global support for mutantkind grows. As we've seen in previous previews for the animated series, the X-Men roster will see some changes as Morph and Bishop join the team. Things are apparently so good that Rogue & Gambit consider giving a real-life a shot, while Magneto was moved enough by Xavier's words & actions to consider giving Xavier's philosophy a try. So with all of this "happily ever after" stuff going on, what better time for Mr. Sinister to make a return? And it's safe to say that it's probably not to take the X-Men out for brunch to catch up on lost time. Here's a look at DeMayo's tweet after the event (and thanks to The Workprint for helping clarify two parts of our notes).

Regarding a second season, it appears we may have gotten some good news from Cal Dodd (Logan / Wolverine). As many of you know (but we'll still give you a reminder below), Dodd took to Twitter at the beginning of 2022 to signal that recording on the first season was underway. Well, a little more than a year later, Dodd was back on Twitter to let fans know that recording on the second season was already underway. In a tweet that's since been taken down, Dodd wrote, "Yesterday. Studio. Season 2. GREAT session!" and included a brief video sharing, "Cal Dodd, voice of Wolverine from 'X-Men '97.' The beginning of Season 2. I say, just the beginning. Strap your seatbelts on, bub. Later." Back in January 2022, Dodd took to Twitter to share a look from the recording studio 

X-Men '97 head writer Beau DeMayo recently responded to rumors that the X-Men: The Animated Series revival has been majorly delayed.

DeMayo urged concerned fans to "breathe" on Twitter after reports that Disney+ is bumping X-Men '97's release date to 2024 surfaced on the social media platform. The scribe added that while he "can neither confirm nor deny rumors" regarding the Disney+ debut of X-Men '97, an official announcement will arrive "soon." Such an announcement has not yet been made by either Disney+ or Marvel Studios as of this writing.