• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thinking I'm turning over to the dark side!!!

10 posts in this topic

Well, not really the dark side.

However, in the last week I've started to think about selling my comic collection and move to collecting original art.

I used to buy comics to read, but lately I have noticed myself buying comics that are in better and better condition, not reading them, and just storing them. While that has been exciting, I just see the comics taking more and more space inside the walkin closet.

As I've become more picky with comics, obviously the prices I'm paying for comics has also gone up, so now I see myself spending more money in comics that are in great shape and that I won't read.

I think that, if I'm gonna do that, I might as well save the money I spend in comics, and buy original art that I can frame and hang on the wall and see every day.

Has anyone else gone through this phase? do most people collect both comics and original art, or do you guys see yourselves moving more to one side over the other?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Listen amigo. Walk away. You are messing with some seriously addictive stuff. I am warning you. To quote fellow collector Glen Gold "If comics are like cocaine, original art is like crack".

Comics are cool . . . but trully sophisticated afficiando's of the genre like having something DISPLAYABLE as well as more subtly rewarding (you can see the ink shades baby - applied by the artists hands).

And most OA collectors have come by walking through the very door of comic book collecting. Congrats on your venture into the darkside !

HAHA Kat!

I think it's too late to save me from the original art addiction...

The way I look at it, I am missing issues 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9 from my Daredevil collection.

Even if I wanted to get those issues in VG, I'm talking probably $30-$40 for each of those issues, and more if I want to get them in VF or higher. The other bad side about comic collecting, is that it's neverending too. Once you complete a run, you either decide to upgrade issues in that run, or move on to another run.

On the other hand, I was able to get that Spider-Girl page in the other thread for $60, and the page from GLA with Moon Knight on it for $75. My pages from Captain America and Ultimate Spider-Man were also around $70-$75, the only one I paid more for was my Daredevil piece by Heck...

So I think I can manage to spend just as much collecting original art, with the advantage of being able to see my pieces, drastically cutting the space used up for my collection, and I get to have unique pieces...

Well, not really the dark side.

However, in the last week I've started to think about selling my comic collection and move to collecting original art.

I used to buy comics to read, but lately I have noticed myself buying comics that are in better and better condition, not reading them, and just storing them. While that has been exciting, I just see the comics taking more and more space inside the walkin closet.

As I've become more picky with comics, obviously the prices I'm paying for comics has also gone up, so now I see myself spending more money in comics that are in great shape and that I won't read.

I think that, if I'm gonna do that, I might as well save the money I spend in comics, and buy original art that I can frame and hang on the wall and see every day.

Has anyone else gone through this phase? do most people collect both comics and original art, or do you guys see yourselves moving more to one side over the other?

I will be joining the dark side soon as I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Welcome to the Dark Side! It will only cost you your soul! BWAHAHAH!

Well, okay. Not your soul, just an arm and a leg.

black_knight.jpg

Its just a flesh wound

I would be careful not to make the mistake of selling off a nice comic collection and then redeploying the proceeds into a cr&ppy original art collection, which I have seen people do before. OA is much more expensive and if you want to assemble a nice collection, chances are you will have to lay out a lot more money than you did for your comics (unless you've got an eye-popping GA or SA collection).

I actually sold off $10,000 of my golden age keys to buy some original art. I was so happy with the original art that I'm thinking of selling off more comics to buy more covers and pages.

Buying comic art IS addictive. There's no doubt about it. I took out a bank loan this week to buy some art.

But, all you strict, comics-only collectors out there should understand that comics are printed by the thousands, while original art, each and every piece, is a one-of-a-kind item that NO ONE ELSE owns. Some art is pretty cheap. Some art is very expensive. But, buy what you like and you'll never go wrong.