• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel January 1962 'Black Circle' Repriced Editions
4 4

127 posts in this topic

So I started looking for that 12 cent bold font image and found one here:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/File:Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_76.jpg

According to the file history, that cover JPG was uploaded on August 2, 2008 by Darkseid01. I sent him (Bill) a message to see if he can provide any info on the origins of the cover image. Will post any reply!

11 minutes ago, bc said:

So I started looking for that 12 cent bold font image and found one here:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/File:Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_76.jpg

According to the file history, that cover JPG was uploaded on August 2, 2008 by Darkseid01. I sent him (Bill) a message to see if he can provide any info on the origins of the cover image. Will post any reply!

I saw that too, and assumed it to be the GCD one (or vice versa). Same fuzzy look to it. Keep us posted if Bill replies bc....

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I saw that too, and assumed it to be the GCD one (or vice versa). Same fuzzy look to it. Keep us posted if Bill replies bc....

Well Bill is on his A-game, he already replied:

"Almost all the covers images here are from comics.org."

So that brings us back full circle :ohnoez:

Also, and this may be noted earlier - the indicia for the black circle JIM76 says the price is 10 cents. On the thin font 12 cent copies, the indicia correctly states the price at 12 cents.

30 minutes ago, bc said:

Well Bill is on his A-game, he already replied:

"Almost all the covers images here are from comics.org."

So that brings us back full circle :ohnoez:

Thought so. It's a mock up.

I always wondered about the “skinny” 12 cent prices as well. As best I could tell, never having looked at it scientifically, they are all the month after the changeover (AAF #9 being an example). JIM #76 corrected has it, as discussed, but obviously the other two variants got the regular 12 cent font. Makes me wonder what was up. 

Edited by mysterio

17 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I always wondered about the “skinny” 12 cent prices as well. As best I could tell, never having looked at it scientifically, they are all the month after the changeover (AAF #9 being an example). JIM #76 corrected has it, as discussed, but obviously the other two variants got the regular 12 cent font. Makes me wonder what was up. 

Quirks like this happen often. Good innit :grin:

15 minutes ago, mysterio said:

In other news, these deserve club status. I was very excited when I completed this mini-set. 

Good idea. Get posting then....:)

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Took me a few days to get around to it, but here you go.

IMG_2364a.jpg

They're great, thanks Mysterio. I'm quite envious.

18 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I have nothing substantial to add to this thread, but want to thank everyone who did because I find this stuff fascinating.

A man of taste :)

Try this one Eric. Similar sort of thing...

23 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Another fun discussion.  There's a special joy to discovering and documenting a previously unknown bit of comic book history, no matter how small.

Here's my contribution to the "small variation" genre lol:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/411569-worlds-finest-96-variant/

15 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Another fun discussion.  There's a special joy to discovering and documenting a previously unknown bit of comic book history, no matter how small.

Here's my contribution to the "small variation" genre lol:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/411569-worlds-finest-96-variant/

My kind of thread :headbang:

1 hour ago, rakehell said:

I knew there was another...

mcc5.jpg.9851128fe1860215436dc53e5ebe7c13.jpg

Found my files!! :banana:

Well done Alice :)

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

This was very interesting, as I have noticed irregularities with the price on some of the books mentioned in his journal, but had only discussed it privately with a friend. I actually have some information that I could add if that turns into a discussion. Cool stuff!!! Thanks for posting that :) 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, Frisco Larson said:

This was very interesting, as I have noticed irregularities with the price on some of the books mentioned in his journal, but had only discussed it privately with a friend. I actually have some information that I could add if that turns into a discussion. Cool stuff!!! Thanks for posting that :) 

Cheers Frisco. I like it when new people discover my threads. Well hidden they are. Thank you for the encouragement :)