• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating GEEzusWalks
3 3

260 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Unlike many others, the fact that he refunded immediately seems like a positive point to me...

Let's pretend that I sold you a copy of...say...Planet Comics 1 for $10K: 

1. You pay me. 

2. 5 minutes later someone offers me $15K. OR...maybe I check the GPA and realize that I could have gotten an extra $5K. Maybe I will post it somewhere else to save face, or sell it locally under the radar. 

3. I tell you I "lost" the book. After all, :censored: happens, right? After all, I have a solid reputation on the boards. Why wouldn't you believe me? 

4. I quickly delete the pics and the price from my sales thread. 

5. I refund your money. 

You would consider the refund a "positive point"? Really? lol 

Come on now. I also want to see the good in people, but Radix malorum est cupiditas my dear. SMH

6 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Ultimately I think the masses will take their cues on how the buyer would want to proceed in any possibly way he can be removed.  

People can STILL conduct business with folks on the probation list. They can read this thread and decide for themselves. 

Without further explanation, I know what my personal choice will be. I think the OP had some very salient points in his early posts that are worth reviewing at this point. 

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

1. You pay me. 

2. 5 minutes later someone offers me $15K. OR...maybe I check the GPA and realize that I could have gotten an extra $5K. Maybe I will post it somewhere else to save face, or sell it locally under the radar. 

3. I tell you I "lost" the book. After all, :censored: happens, right? After all, I have a solid reputation on the boards. Why wouldn't you believe me? 

5. I refund your money. 

Come on now. I also want to see the good in people, but Radix malorum est cupiditas my dear. SMH

So you should be on the probation list until you pay me say $5k? because you MIGHT be able to sell it for $5k more? Because that's the bottom line here. 

What happens if the market crashes and someone who buys that Planet of yours (I already  have one btw;)  decides to return it in 29 days because they no longer can sell it for $15k, is that less egregious?

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Yes, lol...I think it was good that he was refunded, I'd be pretty upset if he was NOT refunded;)

The fact that he was refunded does not make it okay to back out of a done deal. 

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

So you should be on the probation list until you pay me say $5k? because you MIGHT be able to sell it for $5k more? Because that's the bottom line here. 

All he had to do was produce the original pics of the book. He had a way off the list. 

But, magically, he decided to delete the pic to free up 160kb on his hard drive. 

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

What happens if the market crashes and someone who buys that Planet of yours (I already  have one btw;)  decides to return it in 29 days because they no longer can sell it for $15k, is that less egregious?

Depends on my return policy. 

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I guess that depends on your return policy. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

The fact that he was refunded does not make it okay to back out of a done deal. 

No, it's not ok to back out, but there is so much stuff that goes on here behind the scenes, or sometimes in front of the scenes that if we adjudicated each misstep and put people on the list it would be miles long.

So we had some rules, rules that Pov worked very hard to write out. The rules gave us some guidelines and the most important part to me was that there has to be a way to get off the list, otherwise you cannot put people on that list. Anything so egregious that we feel a way to get off the list is not relevant would be a hall of shame matter and I just don't think it fits, EVEN if he decided to keep the book.

Plus, I hope Mr. L will answer my questions so we have a little more clarity.

3 minutes ago, newshane said:

Depends on my return policy. 

Note to self in my next sale, add something that says I take returns for any reason except market crashes;) 

(not really)

Anyway,  it's up to Mr. L now, I'll leave everything as is until I see his answers to my questions.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

No, it's not ok to back out...

if we do not do something about this, we are sending a clear message that it IS okay to back out. All you have to do is say you lost the book. 

You think he would have found the book by now...or showed a little more public concern...or apologize profusely to the OP. 

But no. 

Simple statement that the book is lost. 

Too bad so sad. 

I will await further explanation from the seller. 

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Anyway,  it's up to Mr. L now, I'll leave everything as is until I see his answers to my questions.

Agreed. 

I guess I just can't wrap my head around:

1. Losing a book that costs several hundred dollars. 

2. Not tearing the house apart to find it if I /did/ lose it. 

I ain't rich, and I ain't poor...but I think even the richest of us would feel damaged (or at least agitated) over losing a book of that value. 

I don't want to get all 1984 on everybody, however it's times like these I'd love to be able to have a mod go in and review PMs.  If there was another boardie that approached him once the book was sold offering more $$$ I'd
put them right up there on the PL if not the HOS as well.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:
1 hour ago, newshane said:

1. You pay me. 

5. I refund your money. 

I realize you are discussing a hypothetical situation, but it is worth clarifying here that in Brock's case he is not asking for any money or material compensation of any kind. Since the seller claimed he could not complete the transaction because the book is lost, it was in principle reasonable to ask as a condition of closing the matter that the pictures of the book be reposted for the record. Brock has given the seller a way to get off of the PL. If it is now complicated because the seller decided (contrary to common sense) to delete all traces of the book from not only the thread but his own home computer (??) that is not the fault of Brock's nomination, nor does it make, after the fact, his reasonable request somehow less reasonable now. 

The PL rules do anticipate and do allow for these circumstances, 1 c) and especially 2 e)  "If completing the transaction is no longer possible, the accuser may outline a proposed path to resolution." Which he did, and if now as a result of the seller's further actions, that proposed path is rendered impossible, it does not invalidate the process to date. The PL also allows for and assumes that this may be resolved by ongoing mediation. The two parties are not prohibited from continuing to discuss with each other another possible path to resolution.

I am not without sympathy that this could be an innocent series of mishaps, but there is no doubt that the seller has bungled this thing badly, and not only in the matter of the pictures, but in failing to adjust his responses to an escalating situation. In other circumstances a quick refund is usually appropriate, but in these circumstances it could have been anticipated it was not going to be well received and that instead it would only feed suspicion.

The situation reminds me of those Corporate PR disasters that start with a flippant response to some angry customer and then escalate as the company keeps falling behind the growing public outrage. Likewise, if there is a hole here, it is the seller who has dug it to this depth. 

29 minutes ago, Hudson said:

With all this being said, I am going to try and put myself in the position of the seller for a moment (walk in his shoes), and ask myself what I would do if I were him.  I am NOT saying the "seller" should do this, but rather what I believe I would do to "make things right".  Given this is a rather common book, I would simply offer the "buyer" the option of having me buy the book (in the same grade) from another venue and sell that copy to the "buyer" at the originally agreed upon price.  Would this cost me something? Yes!  Would it be worth it to me to keep my word? YES!  A quick search reveals that Metropolis has a copy of this exact book in the same CGC assigned grade (5.0). 

When I was writing before, I thought about what I would have done in this situation and that's exactly what I thought of. It's something that is possible to accomplish (unlike deleted pictures) and seems like a sensible solution to me as well., Great post, Richard, I'm glad you chimed in.

22 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

@Hudson Kudos for bringing up that fantastic idea.

If I were the seller I would hate this idea...he already gave him a full refund.

I also think something smells fishy, but with all the soft touches around here what can really be done? (shrug)

The whole point of the probation list is that it's not permanent and if he deleted the pics off his computer ( possible ) what else can he do to get off the list?

The buyer was made whole by receiving a full refund. The seller should not be responsible for potential profit lost and should not be on the hook for more money just to make the buyer happy so he can flip a book.

Edited by Logan510

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

If I were the seller I would hate this idea...he already gave him a full refund.

I also think something smells fishy, but with all the soft touches around here what can really be done? (shrug)

The whole point of the probation list is that it's not permanent and if he deleted the pics off his computer ( possible ) what else can he do to get off the list?

The buyer was made whole by receiving a full refund. The seller should not be responsible for potential profit lost and should not be on the hook for more money just to make the buyer happy so he can flip a book.

Respectfully disagree.  The buyer has not been made whole, he was refunded, and that's not what he wanted.  In the sellers mind I can certainly see how HE would think the buyer has been made whole.  I can speak for myself, If I was in the sellers shoes I would 100% do what Hudson recommended, I could care less about the money\flipping aspect.  We'll wait and see if the seller ever answers any of those pertinent follow-up questions that have been posed to him.