• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why don’t grading companies/collectors consider Marvel Age 97 the first appearance of Darkhawk?

169 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 4:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

Because they haven't been hyped (at least not by the right :eyeroll: people).

Again, the :censored: don't have copies to sell so they haven't been pumping them (most likely with lies).

lol Generational? How old do you think I am? Anyway, disrespecting terrible arguments is just an intelligence thing.

No.

Yes.

No.

What's not civil? The only problem I see here is that some people have no understanding of storytelling or basic economics and it causes them to post ridiculous things.

Oh, well heck if you just said you were troll at the start saying whatever you can for reactions that would have saved a lot of time. Ill know for next time.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Books with low census counts that don't explode in value typically aren't desirable books… which is why they have low census counts. Regarding Marvel Age 97 vs. Darkhawk 1, the issue isn't how many were printed, it's how many survive in high grade. I picked up both books new. I never bagged my issues of Marvel Age because it's not a comic; it's a news magazine. I think a lot of other collectors treated the books the same way, which is why it is much tougher to find Marvel Age in high grade. Action Comics #1 had a print run that was multiple times of both of these books combined. That doesn't matter, because the only factor now is how many are still available, and the condition that they survived in.

See I was a dealer of comics back when that came out. Both books often sat loose in quarter bins unbagged (god I remember those bins so well at shops, nothing even remotely like that seems to exist anymore). The Marvel age's were everywhere but no one really read them so what they might have lacked in bagging in boarding might be made up from lack of reading/use wear and tear.

Again, speculation is all we got at this point as to why. Its an interesting way to look at it though, when one of the two did get bagged it was more often than not DH1 though for sure.

Im mostly a comic art collector and not a current comic reader, beyond all the jokes and snark is there truly some sort of ground swell for this character to justify these prices in general? Or is it just nostalgia?

On 8/28/2021 at 3:22 PM, zhamlau said:

See I was a dealer of comics back when that came out. Both books often sat loose in quarter bins unbagged (god I remember those bins so well at shops, nothing even remotely like that seems to exist anymore). The Marvel age's were everywhere but no one really read them so what they might have lacked in bagging in boarding might be made up from lack of reading/use wear and tear.

Again, speculation is all we got at this point as to why. Its an interesting way to look at it though, when one of the two did get bagged it was more often than not DH1 though for sure.

Im mostly a comic art collector and not a current comic reader, beyond all the jokes and snark is there truly some sort of ground swell for this character to justify these prices in general? Or is it just nostalgia?

I'm guessing that a good chunk of it is people joking about it being a good buy (because for so long that was a pretty big speculation fail), and newer collectors taking the jokes seriously, which pushed up prices. But then also there have been rumors that he was going to show up in the MCU, and now of course there's a new Darkhawk coming along that might spur some interest.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:15 PM, zhamlau said:

Oh, well heck if you just said you were troll at the start saying whatever you can for reactions that would have saved a lot of time. Ill know for next time.

Well, if you said you were aspiring (but failing) to increase your intelligence to match the character in your avatar, I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to you.

Fact: Previews are advertisements.

Fact: Market prices are based on supply and demand. Or market manipulation :sick:. Regardless, they aren't based on importance or solely on demand.

Fact: People can pay money for ads if they want to (regardless of how anybody feels about paying money for ads).

Fact: No amount of money spent can change the content of a book.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, if you said you were aspiring (but failing) to increase your intelligence to match the character in your avatar, I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to you.

Fact: Previews are advertisements.

Fact: Market prices are based on supply and demand. Or market manipulation :sick:. Regardless, they aren't based on importance or solely on demand.

Fact: People can pay money for ads if they want to (regardless of how anybody feels about paying money for ads).

Fact: No amount of money spent can change the content of a book.

TL:DR