• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE PART 1 (2022)
3 3

358 posts in this topic

Movie fans just didn't know how good we had it. Every week or so there was another big movie to check out and there were numerous films in production, each with their own pieces of news to discover and parse. But now everything has largely shut down. Not only can we not go to the movies, but we can't keep ourselves entertained with news from the films that are on the way. Thank the heavens for Lord and Miller.

It's going to be more than two years before we actually see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2, but recently producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller dropped a little tease on Twitter that is strongly hinting that the new film will introduce a new character to the film franchise that fans of the Spider-Man comic book universe will love. Meet Silk.

Phil Lord sets up the reveal and then Christopher Miller gives us the payoff. As it happens the character of Silk normally wears a face covering, which makes her the perfect hero for the modern-day. While we, of course, can't say for certain that this all means that Silk will appear in the next Spider-Verse film, Lord and Miller certainly want us all thinking along those lines.

In the comics, Silk is Cindy Moon, a Korean American who was bitten by the same spider that originally turned Peter Parker into Spider-Man. She has a collection of abilities similar, but not identical to his. The character is a relatively new addition to the Spider-Verse, only being introduced in the comics back in 2014, but she's got fans and would be a welcome addition to the Spider-Verse film as it appears is the case.

Octavio E. Rodriguez, artist for Incredibles 2 and Coco, confirms on Twitter that he's joining the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 team.

Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 is adding an incredible new artist to its team in Octavio E. Rodriguez. The first Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse film was released by Sony in 2018 and instantly received widespread acclaim. It not only grossed $375 million at box offices, but received an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. As a result, it's no surprise that Sony greenlighted Into the Spider-Verse for a sequel shortly afterwards, the latter of which is slated for an October 2022 release date.

Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 began production on June 8, which animator Nick Kondo confirmed when he shared a tweet announcing his excitement. While much of the sequel's main storyline remains a mystery,  Sony has confirmed that the central story will still follow the adventures of Miles Morales, which opens the door for additional character development for the Spider-People he interacted with in the first film. In addition, the relationship between Gwen Stacy and Miles will be a central touchpoint of the sequel.

After joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe in WandaVision, Kathryn Hahn "would love to" return to the animated Spider-Verse. Hahn voices inflatable-armed supervillain and Alchemax scientist Olivia Octavius, an alternate universe Doctor Octopus, who is thwarted by Spider-people from across the multiverse in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

After working with the Kingpin (Liev Schreiber) to create a Super-Collider capable of accessing parallel dimensions — a device meant to allow the crime lord to reunite with his dead wife and son — Octavius appears to die when she's hit by a truck while battling a pair of Spider-Men (Shameik Moore and Jake Johnson) and Spider-Woman (Hailee Steinfeld).

Asked by Collider if she's returning for Spider-Verse 2, Hahn said, "Not that I've heard, but I would love to. But not that I've heard. Who knows? [The first one] is amazing. I'm so proud of that thing."

The complicated notion of the Multiverse has long been a staple in high-concept fiction but in the world of comic book films, it was only until the last couple of years that the idea became a lucrative prospect, when it culminated in the box-office and critical success of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The film was Sony’s rare diamond in a consistent streak of roughs so it came as no surprise that a sequel was put in the works shortly after. Since then, we haven’t heard much about the sequel until this week when a source tipped us off to the identity of one of the sequel’s key baddies: obscure Spider-Man and Daredevil villain, The Spot.

spot-1024x583.thumb.png.b3d68c53f90e8be7f87fd99242705b45.png

For the uninitiated, The Spot is one of those obscure Spidey villains who occasionally showed up here and there to terrorize the likes of Spidey and DD with his goofy yet powerful abilities. The Spot has the ability to access and manipulate portals in any space (drawn as spots in the comics) which he uses to transport himself or any part of his body. He commonly uses it to have his foes punch their own faces or to assault them from all directions but it has oftentimes been used for more sinister purposes. In Mark Waid’s Daredevil run, the Spot appeared in a key role, wherein his power gets harnessed by another villain called Coyote, who then uses it to operate a global human trafficking empire by kidnapping victims remotely. The science behind his powers is never fully explained but they mimic some of Cloak’s ability to access a different dimension. The potential of his abilities is also beyond what’s been depicted so far, not to mention he has close ties with Kingpin so he’s absolutely a perfect fit should this be true.

As always our What We Heard This Week reports, take this with a grain of salt. We’re working with a new source on this and have yet to confirm this with another source as of this writing but thought it was exciting enough to share with you guys. We certainly believe that a character with ties to Spider-Man who has powers like The Spot makes so much sense to incorporate in the Spider-Verse sequel. Production on the sequel began last summer and it is expected to hit theaters on October 7, 2022.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have co-written the -script and are back as producers.

Issa Rae is entering the Spider-Verse.

Rae, the star of HBO’s acclaimed comedy-drama Insecure, has joined the voice cast of Sony Pictures Animation’s sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Rae becomes the first new addition to the roll call that includes Shameik Moore and Hailee Steinfeld, who are reprising their roles of Miles Morales, aka Spider-Man, and Spider-Gwen respectively.

Plot details are being kept hidden in the circuits of a super-collider but will continue to feature an array of Spider-characters drawn across Marvel Comics’ time and space. According to sources, Rae will voice Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman.

Though he previously teased that he "believed" he would be back for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sequel, Peter B. Parker himself Jake Johnson really hopes it all works out. Speaking in a new interview, Johnson was asked if he was coming back for the follow-up and noted he'd be "heartbroken' if he didn't return. “I sure hope so," Johnson revealed to The Daily Beasts’ The Last Laugh podcast. "I’ll be pretty heartbroken if I don’t get to play Peter B. Parker again. He's a character who- I don’t think his story’s over. I would like to know what happens to him.”

Johnson opened up further about his time on the first film, praising the writing and the creative talent behind the project. “That was one of the best written pieces I’ve ever had," Johnson said. "I would show up to record and I would read the pages and it was one of those things where I just felt really honored that they picked me to do that. That wasn't one where I felt like 'I'm here to help find it.' It was there, I just had to deliver it. And that was a really neat experience to see a monologue and go 'Man that's really touching, who wrote this? Who this this? It's really good.'....I had really high expectations of it and when I saw it, it just blew me away. I really love it. It’s one of the things I’m most proud of.”

First-look footage of Sony’s upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 was shown at this year's CinemaCon, revealing the return of Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy. The film is the long-awaited sequel to 2018’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which marked both Sony’s first animated project in the Spider-Man franchise and the first film appearance of the Miles Morales version of the superhero. Not only was the first Into the Spider-Verse a major box office success, it also impressed critics, going on to win the coveted Best Animated Feature Film award at both the 2019 Academy Awards and Annual Golden Globes.

While much of the Spider-Man buzz surrounding this year’s CinemaCon has focused on the new Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer, the Sony presentation also featured a first look at footage from next year’s Spider-Verse sequel. Descriptions of the footage include a shot of Miles doing his signature jump, followed by Gwen Stacy appearing with a full white mask. Another shot also featured Miles looking at the Spider-Man suit with his reflection showing on the glass in a image reminiscent of the first film.

:whee::banana:

While speaking with THR, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings co-writer Dave Callaham explained how Phil Lord and Christopher Miller approached him about working on the Spider-Verse sequel. At that point, there wasn’t any finished animated for Callaham to look at, so he initially had no idea how much this thing would blow up.

"They said, 'We have this animated Spider-Man movie we are doing.' They were still working on the first movie. They couldn’t tell me what it was going to look like. Because it’s them, I said, 'I’ll come in and see what you have. I don’t get it.' They showed me an animatic, which at the time looked like napkin drawings with temp vocals and no animation styling behind it. I could feel the heart behind it, but I couldn’t imagine how spectacular this thing could be yet. They showed me some still images of some of the art they had been working on. With them, I trust them implicitly and I believed they were going to do something special. I said, 'OK,' and they said, 'Great. Pitch us a sequel.' So I began the very strange process of working on the sequel for a year before the original came out."

So Dave Callaham worked with Lord and Miller on the -script for Into The Spider-Verse 2 for a year, but no one else had any interest in what he was doing; safe to say, that all changed when the first film finally hit theaters. “It wasn’t until that movie came out that it made any sense to anybody in the outside world what it was that I was up to,” Callaham said. “Then suddenly the interest went from zero to 100 overnight. Suddenly people loved the movie and a couple of months later it wins an Oscar and then the trajectory changes a little bit.”

Fandango: This film begins to explore more of the multiverse, but in live-action form. Audiences are a lot more familiar with the multiverse thanks to the animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse film. How important do you think multiverse storytelling will be for comic book movies over the next five, even ten years?

Amy Pascal: I think you're going to see a lot of people exploring those worlds because it's interesting. The parallel universes make for so many interesting stories, but I don't think that every single movie is going to end up taking place in the multiverse. I think it's really exciting, and this movie certainly does.

Fandango: We were just talking to Phil [Lord] and Chris [Miller] about Into the Spider-Verse, and we asked them about the much larger presence multiverse storytelling has now in film and TV. They are right to say it was the comics that did it first.

Amy Pascal: Yeah, it was... when I approached Chris and Phil about doing the Spider-Verse movies when I was still running Sony, I said, "Can you guys figure out how to do an animated Spider-Man movie?" And the first thing they said to me was, "Absolutely, if we do Spider-Verse and we do Miles." And I'm like, "Right on." Because of course, it is in the comics, but nobody could have done it better than them.

Fandango: How are things going on that second Spider-Verse movie?

Amy Pascal: It’s going to be fantastic. We have something to show on that very soon.