• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

This is a strange market.  It's interesting to compare some of the sales in this HA auction.  The 9.0 white page Church copy of Flash 42 (second highest graded copy on the census) went for $3,720.  By comparison, a non-pedigree 6.0 light tan page copy of New Adventure 14 (4th highest graded copy) went for more, $3,840. (shrug)

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F6%2F2%2F6%2F24626268%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dlf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F8%2F2%2F8%2F24828325%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 11/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Not if you're a surfing cover collector like innocuous.

Is that really his focus? (I'm not sure whether you're joking.)

This copy probably went to an L. B. Cole completist. If it was an upgrade, maybe the buyer's undercopy will show up on HA soon.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:23 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, as I recall, he's a surfing cover fan.  

Correct. I first saw this cover in the Gerber photo guide and have been hunting for years. I have seen two, one heavily stained and one just a very low grade.  

I'm pretty sure there were at least two others bidding it up, so I figured if I kept going, all I was going to do is punish someone, but eventually lose. So, whoever you are, you're welcome. 

On 11/21/2021 at 1:00 AM, adamstrange said:
On 11/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, tth2 said:

I should have clarified my post by saying "the only strategy that has consistently worked with comics throughout history ..." 

It's guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

Until it doesn't.

Yes, but it's never not worked (unlike the stock market and real estate, which have seen ups and downs). 

In the stock market, anyone claiming that the stock market would never go down again would have to say "it's different this time".  And we know how well such predictions have panned out.

For the comic market, it's actually the opposite.  Therefore, anyone saying "it's different this time" would be claiming that the comic market will go down.  And we know how well all the predictions that the market would crash have panned out.

Edited by tth2

On 11/20/2021 at 6:38 PM, RareHighGrade said:

This is a strange market.  It's interesting to compare some of the sales in this HA auction.  The 9.0 white page Church copy of Flash 42 (second highest graded copy on the census) went for $3,720.  By comparison, a non-pedigree 6.0 light tan page copy of New Adventure 14 (4th highest graded copy) went for more, $3,840. (shrug)

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F6%2F2%2F6%2F24626268%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dlf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F8%2F2%2F8%2F24828325%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Strange indeed.  It's hard to gauge the pre-Supe DC market, but I would've thought the Church copy of Flash #42 would've topped 5K.  3.7K is just barely twice OSG in grade; Church books usually nail down three or four multiples regardless of census status.  My best guess is that the edge chips softened the hammer price, but whoever bought it should have no difficulty flipping the Flash for a sizable profit.  hm

On 11/21/2021 at 3:01 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok it’s official. Going to play tennis is either a very good or a very bad strategy for me during these auctions.

Never the bride, always the bridesmaid 

807AA279-7C42-41C4-AE93-5F972C0DBFEF.png

Those Manhunts went for some serious prices!

On 11/21/2021 at 4:09 AM, szav said:

Isn't this the one that went over 20k previously, but was some sort of failed sale?  Quite a precipitous drop if I'm recalling correctly.

image.thumb.png.328692a20c547dc07a60b4ef12cde98d.png

Yes it was.  This seems to be a much more realistic price.

On 11/20/2021 at 3:20 PM, szav said:

Mentioned this relatively close comp for comparison on Promise copies vs non ped.  These books sold a day apart, and you can't really infer much from a single datapoint, but while these had been tied for a while, the 8.0 which was clearly the far superior copy pulled well ahead.

How much they impacted each other's prices, who knows.  With the typical Promise ped bump we'd been seeing for a while you'd have expected them to tie...but maybe the bidders, if it was even the same set of people on both books, after continually staring at these side by side for 3 weeks +however many weeks of preview, decided the Ped didn't mean that much.  It's still hard, if not impossible, to tease out what the pedigree premium is on all these highest graded copies vs the highest graded premium ...I know for the one Promise book that I purchased, personally my willingness to pay up was strictly for the book in very high grade, and not at all for the pedigree.

image.png.b7b82a9f56b3a7228003d55d1ef68405.png

image.png.0bb9260992d9cde3122a528e07e9b48c.png

On 11/18/2021 at 4:12 PM, Aman619 said:

haha.  you nailed it!  but we really want the new money to be buying smart right? and stick around.  If they are just content to splash cash around on any high grade comic, without a clue to their place in the scheme of things, well, it might not be the best thing for us long timers.

I agree.  I am a long time Superman collector and there is no way I would purchase books from this era.  The covers are plain silly and Superman was portrayed as a clown.  Superman's from this period have for many years shown very little appreciation even at high grade.  Suddenly there is a doubling and tripling in price in 6 months?  Certainly driven by novice collectors who have no clue and who are driven by brand recognition.  Yes, it is a good time to sell if you need the money.  Eventually there will be a correction. 

On 11/21/2021 at 7:07 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

I agree.  I am a long time Superman collector and there is no way I would purchase books from this era.  The covers are plain silly and Superman was portrayed as a clown.  Superman's from this period have for many years shown very little appreciation even at high grade.  Suddenly there is a doubling and tripling in price in 6 months?  Certainly driven by novice collectors who have no clue and who are driven by brand recognition.  Yes, it is a good time to sell if you need the money.  Eventually there will be a correction. 

It could be a completist.  Batman has a ton of goofy covers but I bought them to have the complete run.