• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, batman_fan said:

It could be a completist.  Batman has a ton of goofy covers but I bought them to have the complete run.

Sometimes the goofier the cover, the better the interiors ... but that won't matter with a slab. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, batman_fan said:

It could be a completist.  Batman has a ton of goofy covers but I bought them to have the complete run.

Got to eat your vegetables if you want dessert!  Basically though, the Batman run has lots more key books, Joker and villain covers etc.  Superman is 97% turnips, and a bushel of yellow veggies….. 1, 14, 24, and maybe a few more stand out but aren’t big keys… 

Edited by Aman619

On 11/21/2021 at 5:18 PM, Aman619 said:

Got to eat your vegetables if you want dessert!  Basically though, the Batman run has lots more key books, Joker and villain covers etc.  Superman is 97% turnips, and a bushel of yellow veggies….. 1, 14, 24, and maybe a few more stand out but aren’t big keys… 

Bats better villains beats the big cheese

On 11/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, Aman619 said:

I'm a long time Superman collector, my biggest problem with the run is that I never liked the color yellow too much. However...i'm going to disagree about the covers. 1--15, 17, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 34, are fine, then they taper off a lot till the dragons show up...and I'm not looking for competition, I keep getting outbid as it is;) https://www.comics.org/series/116/covers/

Edited by skypinkblu

On 11/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, but it's never not worked (unlike the stock market and real estate, which have seen ups and downs). 

For the comic market, it's actually the opposite.  Therefore, anyone saying "it's different this time" would be claiming that the comic market will go down.  And we know how well all the predictions that the market would crash have panned out.

Didn't I read in a post of yours awhile ago that you were also buying up some of those B&W books from the late 80's and possibly even some of Wizard hyped books that were selling for stupid money when they hit the shelves of the LCS.  hm

Also certainly didn't work out so well for some of those speculators who paid top dollars for movie and TV related hyped "common as dirt" books only to see their vlaues chopped in half or more by the time their characters hit the silver or small screen.  :tonofbricks:

On 11/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, Terry JSA said:

Someone got this book for an absolute steal. A 6.5 with slight restoration that can easily be removed. 

14B7C04B-FBC7-403E-8BC7-4860B5E6E96B.jpeg

It's C-1 amateur restoration which often goes beyond the cover to the interior cover.  As a result, removal would have structural effects. It's likely to consigner considered this when offering it in a purple label.  

Edited by Northwest

On 11/21/2021 at 4:45 PM, Northwest said:

It's C-1 amateur restoration which often goes beyond the cover to the interior cover.  As a result, removal would have structural effects. It's likely to consigner considered this when offering it in a purple label.  

I was thinking about that since there’s a small amount of glue along the spine. Wondered how that would affect the book it it was removed. 

On 11/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, szav said:

Bit of a surprise to me here.  My favorite Cole cover by far, but quite a jump from a 7.0 for 10k not long ago, and the Promise 9.2 for 60k recently as well.  

image.png.64621742b68e1514da063f528de5e4fc.png

On 11/20/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ryan. said:

That Suspense sale makes the 4.0 that sold recently here on the boards look like a bargain. 

Being a long time GA collector, I guess I am used to thinking of the Suspense 8 as being pretty much on the same level as Cole's Mask 1. hm

Needless to say, that has certainly changed during the past few years and even to the point that old slow Bob has recognized this by jacking his top of guide price for Mask 1 from $8K in 2019 all the way up to $30K in this years edition of the guide, while the Suspense 8 has made the gigantic leap from $8,700 all the way up to $8,900 during the same 2-year time period.  :whatthe:   :screwy:  

If I had a choice between these 2 books at their current marketplace valuation, I certainly know which one I would prefer at this current point in time.  Then again, maybe some of these prices that we are seeing on the very few copies of Suspense 8 to hit the marketplace is a sign of a potential catch up period for this equally classic L.B. Cole spider cover.  It's too bad there's not a nice copy of Suspense 8 out there in the Chinatown Collection or any any other pedigree that could give this Promise Colection copy a run for its money since the next highest graded copy out there is only a CGC 7.5 graded copy. :frown:

I guess only time will tell if another HG copy of this classic cover and rare in grade book ever surfaces in the marketplace.  :wishluck:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/21/2021 at 10:30 AM, skypinkblu said:

I'm a long time Superman collector, my biggest problem with the run is that I never liked the color yellow too much. However...i'm going to disagree about the covers. 1--15, 17, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 34, are fine, then they taper off a lot till the dragons show up...and I'm not looking for competition, I keep getting outbid as it is;) https://www.comics.org/series/116/covers/

No disagreement.  The issue raised by Aman619 was "so who is fighting to win at these prices (15 - 20K each) for the Supermans in the 30s, 40s and 50s issues??"   Note he and I are referring to issue numbers in the 30's, 40's, 50's.   I was being kind when I said the covers for this period were "silly" as opposed to the War covers (10's and 20's) which were great.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Being a long time GA collector, I guess I am used to thinking of the Suspense 8 as being pretty much on the same level as Cole's Mask 1. hm

Needless to say, that has certainly changed during the past few years and even to the point that old slow Bob has recognized this by jacking his top of guide price for Mask 1 from $8K in 2019 all the way up to $30K in this years edition of the guide, while the Suspense 8 has made the gigantic leap from $8,700 all the way up to $8,900 during the same 2-year time period.  :whatthe:   :screwy:  

If I had a choice between these 2 books at their current marketplace valuation, I certainly know which one I would prefer at this current point in time.  Then again, maybe some of these prices that we are seeing on the very few copies of Suspense 8 to hit the marketplace is a sign of a potential catch up period for this equally classic L.B. Cole spider cover.  It's too bad there's not a nice copy of Suspense 8 out there in the Chinatown Collection or any any other pedigree that could give this Promise Colection copy a run for its money since the next highest graded copy out there is only a CGC 7.5 graded copy. :frown:

I guess only time will tell if another HG copy of this classic cover and rare in grade book ever surfaces in the marketplace.  :wishluck:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I agree.  I don't understand why Mask 1 & 2, which seem to be an order of magnitude more common, outperform this book.  

On 11/22/2021 at 3:01 AM, lou_fine said:
On 11/20/2021 at 3:58 PM, tth2 said:

The moral of the story is never ever sell your comics!

Wth some of the rather astounding record setting prices that I have seen your books sell for, the moral of the story in your own particular case is don't practice what you preach.  :preach:  lol

If I held them for another decade, they'd probably go for 1000% more.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Didn't I read in a post of yours awhile ago that you were also buying up some of those B&W books from the late 80's and possibly even some of Wizard hyped books that were selling for stupid money when they hit the shelves of the LCS.  hm

Also certainly didn't work out so well for some of those speculators who paid top dollars for movie and TV related hyped "common as dirt" books only to see their vlaues chopped in half or more by the time their characters hit the silver or small screen.  :tonofbricks:

I should have qualified my post by saying "vintage" comics.

I learned my lesson from the B&Ws not to chase new comic trends, because as you say they are fleeting and too easily manipulated.