• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

L. B. Cole had a big enough following early enough that there are many copies of his books locked away in private collections. You may have to wait a while before the nicest ones come to market, though. Call it a hunch.

Well, I was hoping with the current crypto-like sky high prices that we are seemingly seeing in today's marketplace, this would unlock some of these classic cover books from their long held private collections.  :wishluck:

Then again, I guess we won't really find out until well in to next year because that's apparently how long books are taking to be get back now that they have finally caught up.  Seemingly caught up enough to the point that they've even issued a news release that they've now managed to open up all of their submitted books for storage in their expanded 100,000+ square foot holding cell facility with all books now stacked, ready, and awaiting grading and slabbing, hopefully without being damaged in the process.  :devil:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

Well, based upon this past Sunday's Heritage Auction, I would have to say that either Westerns are starting to finally see their day in the sun which there is some evidence of, or there's at least a couple of big Clint Eastwwod collectors out there:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/four-color-1269-rawhide-file-copy-dell-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122148-19471.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F1%2F2%2F5%2F25125309%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for what I thought was a rather staggering $6,000 at least from my point of view, along with other almost similar 4-figure results for all of the other later Rawhide books in this past weekend's auction.  :applause:

On 11/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, based upon this past Sunday's Heritage Auction, I would have to say that either Westerns are starting to finally see their day in the sun which there is some evidence of, or there's at least a couple of big Clint Eastwwod collectors out there:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/four-color-1269-rawhide-file-copy-dell-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122148-19471.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F1%2F2%2F5%2F25125309%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for what I thought was a rather staggering $6,000 at least from my point of view, along with other almost similar 4-figure results for all of the other later Rawhide books in this past weekend's auction.  :applause:

Someone speculating on Clint eventually dying?  I mean he's pushing 90, no? 

But in seriousness, WTF?

On 11/30/2021 at 8:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Eastwood is an icon. But, I too am a bit floored. Remember, it took a few folks to push it that high. At a time where most folks old enough to remember that show are either dead or going to assisted living, this is an amazing result. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, Robot Man said:

Eastwood is an icon. But, I too am a bit floored. Remember, it took a few folks to push it that high. At a time where most folks old enough to remember that show are either dead or going to assisted living, this is an amazing result. 

Yeah, nothing but a couple of old farts out there thinking back to the good old old days and battling it out by boasting  :arguing: about the size of their Depends. lol

Now, come on...............they really need to get with it and be there with the younger in crowd and chase after bargain basement books like Transformers 1 for $44K or Ultimate Fallout 4 for $28.8K.  :insane:  :screwy:

On 11/30/2021 at 12:06 PM, Robot Man said:

How does CGC confirm Dell “file copies”? I have a few I got from Metro years ago. I have never put much credence in them as I have never heard a story about their discovery or their flow into the market. 

Probably has a lot to do with who submits and whether their word is good. With the Poughkeepsie Files (Dell), there were two types, one was the working file of which there was usually just one or so copies. The term "Library Copy" is often found on these. There was also another "File" that consisted of boxes full with a different issue in each box (uncirculated) stored in a warehouse. The" working file copies" had markings like what is on the book pictured below. This is what I have been told by someone who is knowledgeable about the affair. I'm told some of the boxes had been opened and copies disbursed over the years. This is why some issues are not as well represented. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

119_5200 (2).JPG

119_5200.JPG

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Now, come on...............they really need to get with it and be there with the younger in crowd and chase after bargain basement books like Transformers 1 for $44K or Ultimate Fallout 4 for $28.8K.  :insane:  :screwy:

I really don’t understand why people are paying crazy amounts for a variant cover of Ultimate Fallout #4. $30k+ for a 9.8 copy of the Djurdjevic variant is absolutely insane to me.

Now $44k for a 9.9 Transformers #1 doesn’t sound all too crazy to me but it’s still a hefty amount of money. 

On 11/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Hey, Pops, I remember it too. My dad was a huge western tv fan. Me and my little brother were the “human remotes”...:roflmao:

My Father was watching an episode of Bonanza in the waiting room when I was hatched. I watched Gunsmoke, High Chapparal, Wagon Train, etc., with my Grandpa as often as he'd let me. I still love those shows to this day. GOD BLESS...

1st issue of Rawhide ....

119_5156.JPG

On 11/30/2021 at 12:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

Probably has a lot to do with who submits and whether their word is good. With the Poughkeepsie Files (Dell), there were two types, one was the working file of which there was usually just one or so copies. There was also another "File" that consisted of a box full of one issue (uncirculated) stored in a warehouse. The" working file copies" had markings like what is on the book pictured below. This is what I have been told by someone who is knowledgeable about the affair. I'm told some of the boxes had been opened and copies disbursed over the years. This is why some issues are not as well represented. GOD BLESS...

119_5200 (2).JPG

image.gif.ed5fcda2aa5bb7094e65ec1a02edb8f8.gif

On 11/30/2021 at 8:53 AM, buttock said:

Someone speculating on Clint eventually dying?  I mean he's pushing 90, no? 

But in seriousness, WTF?

Well, all I can say is that I certainly hope the winner of this Rawhide FC 1269 for $6K  wasn't bidding on Heritage's incorrect description that it was the single highest graded copy at CGC 9.4 and a total of only 4 graded copies to date, with the next highest graded being a sole CGC 8.5 copy.  :takeit:  :whee:

Especially when in actual fact, the CGC Census Popualtion Report states there are actually 4 copies in CGC 9.4, with a total of 13 copies graded to date and 8 of them in CGC 8.5 and above.  WTF!!!  :pullhair:  :censored:  :mad:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Four+Color&issue=1269&publisher=Dell+Publishing&year=1962&issuedate=3-5/62

Edited by lou_fine