• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 1:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

Probably has a lot to do with who submits and whether their word is good. With the Poughkeepsie Files (Dell), there were two types, one was the working file of which there was usually just one or so copies. The term "Library Copy" is often found on these. There was also another "File" that consisted of boxes full with a different issue in each box (uncirculated) stored in a warehouse. The" working file copies" had markings like what is on the book pictured below. This is what I have been told by someone who is knowledgeable about the affair. I'm told some of the boxes had been opened and copies disbursed over the years. This is why some issues are not as well represented. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

119_5200 (2).JPG

119_5200.JPG

I bought this book on eBay about twenty years ago as a Poughkeepsie file copy. I submitted it to CGC as such a couple of years ago, and they noted "File Copy" on the label even though I didn't offer any proof (nor did the eBay seller offer any to me).

0703201351561.jpg

I purchased this New Funnies as a file copy from Sparkle City in 1988, and CGC acknowledged the File Copy status without proof.

0201171508091.jpg

I also received the designation on this SA book without proof.

2391029_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

1st issue of Rawhide ....

Since you are speaking about the 1st issue of Rawhide, it should be noted that this copy here sold in the same auction for a more reasonable $4,080 (if you can call it that), as compared to the Rawhide FC 1269 for $6K:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/four-color-1028-rawhide-dell-1959-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122148-19459.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F1%2F2%2F5%2F25125217%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess that since it's not as HTF as the supposedly rarer (but actually not so rare lol) FC 1269 probably tempered prices a bit, with 1 higher graded copy out there along with a total of 11 slabbed copies already out there graded in CGC 9.0 and higher.  :p

On 11/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I bought this book on eBay about twenty years ago as a Poughkeepsie file copy. I submitted it to CGC as such a couple of years ago, and they noted "File Copy" on the label even though I didn't offer any proof (nor did the eBay seller offer any to me).

0703201351561.jpg

I also received the designation on this SA book without proof.

2391029_Full_Obv.jpg

Any idea why these 2 rather sharp looking Files Copies (at least from the front cover scans) of yours graded out as only CGC 8.5 copies because they would certainly appear to have less visual defects than what we have been seeing with some of the clearly visual defect laden CGC 8.5 graded books coming out from the Promise Collection set of books?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

My Father was watching an episode of Bonanza in the waiting room when I was hatched. I watched Gunsmoke, High Chapparal, Wagon Train, etc., with my Grandpa as often as he'd let me. I still love those shows to this day.

I remember my two bothers and I used to love watching Bonanza on Sunday nights and there were always fights :slapfight: with our two older sisters because they always wanted to watch that old boring Ben Casey show on the other channel instead.  Definitely the good old fun days back then.  (thumbsu :)

I remember my father bringing home our first TV back in the early 60's and turing on the TV and the first show that popped up was an episode of Hopalong Cassidy.  Clearly a ton of Westerns on the old boob tube back then and still loved to watch all of the old rerun epsiodes of the Rifeman a few years ago, as I definitely got a lot more out of the storylines on the second go round.  :applause:

Speaking about Bonanza, rather kind of shocked that after some 20+ plus years of certification and the seemingly pervasiness when it comes to Dell File Copies, that the highest graded copy for Four Color 1110 or the first Bonanza would only be 2 CGC 9.0 graded copies, with both of these copies being graded more than 10 years ago:  :whatthe:

lf?set=path%5B7%2F2%2F7%2F1%2F7271634%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Especially since Bonanza was such a long running and popular TV western which stil shows up on reruns, that you figure collectors would have latched onto this book and kept it in nice condition right from the get go.  After seeing how much the more readily available Rawhide books have gone for in terms of thousands of dollars, makes me kind of wonder what a HG copy of Bonanza 1 would be able to fetch in today's hyper inflated marketplace.  hm

On 12/1/2021 at 11:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking about Bonanza, rather kind of shocked that after some 20+ plus years of certification and the seemingly pervasiness when it comes to Dell File Copies, that the highest graded copy for Four Color 1110 or the first Bonanza would only be 2 CGC 9.0 graded copies, with both of these copies being graded more than 10 years ago:  :whatthe:

Especially since Bonanza was such a long running and popular TV western which stil shows up on reruns, that you figure collectors would have latched onto this book and kept it in nice condition right from the get go.  After seeing how much the more readily available Rawhide books have gone for in terms of thousands of dollars, makes me kind of wonder what a HG copy of Bonanza 1 would be able to fetch in today's hyper inflated marketplace.  hm

It is strange that a 9.0 is the highest, and I agree that Bonanza was huge at the time, but Rawhide is an earlier series and Eastwood is a much bigger global icon that Landon or Greene, so I don't think it would be that close dollar-wise.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:32 PM, lou_fine said:

I remember my two bothers and I used to love watching Bonanza on Sunday nights and there were always fights :slapfight: with our two older sisters because they always wanted to watch that old boring Ben Casey show on the other channel instead.  Definitely the good old fun days back then.  (thumbsu :)

I remember my father bringing home our first TV back in the early 60's and turing on the TV and the first show that popped up was an episode of Hopalong Cassidy.  Clearly a ton of Westerns on the old boob tube back then and still loved to watch all of the old rerun epsiodes of the Rifeman a few years ago, as I definitely got a lot more out of the storylines on the second go round.  :applause:

There were so many episodes of Gunsmoke that I swear I sometimes see a re-run that I've never seen before... could just be my bad memory though. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... we also religiously watched Dragnet. 

On 12/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, Chicago Boy said:

can we just give Heritage the permanent crown already.  Dayum, Action 1. Tec 27 and now this MC 1 in the same auction.

I say no, not until they add in a mid to high grade Batman 1 and Superman 1 to the next auction :yeehaw:

On 12/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, lou_fine said:

peaking about Bonanza, rather kind of shocked that after some 20+ plus years of certification and the seemingly pervasiness when it comes to Dell File Copies, that the highest graded copy for Four Color 1110 or the first Bonanza would only be 2 CGC 9.0 graded copies, with both of these copies being graded more than 10 years ago:  :whatthe:

On 12/2/2021 at 5:10 AM, Crowzilla said:

It is strange that a 9.0 is the highest, and I agree that Bonanza was huge at the time, but Rawhide is an earlier series and Eastwood is a much bigger global icon that Landon or Greene, so I don't think it would be that close dollar-wise.

Yes, according to the CGCdata.com website, it would appear that the first Bonanza FC 1110 to be graded as a CGC 9.0 copy was back in the first half of 2003 and the second copy was graded in the first half of 2011, with no other equivalent or higher graded copy slabbed after that time period.  :whatthe:

To each their own, but personally I would much rather have the first Bonanza over the first Rawhide since it ran for a much longer time period, both in terms of its TV series (which can still be seen in reruns to this day) and also its comic book run.  I can clearly remember the Bonanza TV series which is something that I certainly cannot say about the Rawhide TV series.  And to top it off, the CGC Census Population Report shows that the first Bonanza issue is a much tougher book to find, especially in grade.  :luhv:  :takeit:

From a dollar valuation point of view, don't think it really means that much, but Overstreet has the top of guide for the first Bonanza set at $750 while his top of guide for the first Rawhide is slighty lower at only $550.  So, I guess we will simply have to wait and see what a true HG copy of FC 1110 would fetch in today's hyper inflated marketplace, if we are lucky enough to have one come into the marketplace after all these long years.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: