• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

Since most of the books I'm interested in are about a week away from completion I decided to go through them all and review the grader notes for each in order to narrow down my spending.

This All-Star Comics #4 jumped out at me, which on the surface looked to be a great entry level copy for me to buy (I absolutely love this cover - my favourite of all Golden Age team covers. I have a very low grade copy that has a panel cut out, and I have dreamt of upgrading it) but now with these notes there is no way it won't be overpriced for what it really is!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-4-dc-1941-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-97070.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

lf-8.thumb.jpeg.c20a3020d4a8f42e1ca08245c2d73dbe.jpeg

Nice, right? Label looks good, right? PLOT TWIST...incomplete, at best a 2.0/2.5 on a good day.

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached
piece out left top of front cover

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Since most of the books I'm interested in are about a week away from completion I decided to go through them all and review the grader notes for each in order to narrow down my spending.

This All-Star Comics #4 jumped out at me, which on the surface looked to be a great entry level copy for me to buy (I absolutely love this cover - my favourite of all Golden Age team covers. I have a very low grade copy that has a panel cut out, and I have dreamt of upgrading it) but now with these notes there is no way it won't be overpriced for what it really is!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-4-dc-1941-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-97070.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Nice, right? Label looks good, right? PLOT TWIST...incomplete, at best a 2.0/2.5 on a good day.

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached

Good work. Clearly that book has been over graded and mislabelled. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, goldust40 said:

I'm just so happy I found that out NOW. I would have wanted to murder someone had I won this auction and found out later - thank you free grader notes from saving me at least a grand or two $$$.

Checking every single books grader notes now that they are free is pretty much required.

On 1/9/2022 at 5:14 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm just so happy I found that out NOW. I would have wanted to murder someone had I won this auction and found out later - thank you free grader notes from saving me at least a grand or two $$$.

Checking every single books grader notes now that they are free is pretty much required.

Agreed, the odd egregious mistake will slip through the cracks.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached

Wow, thanks for the heads-up on this. I was bidding on this book as well. Best case scenario is that the grader meant "centerfold detached" and not "centerfold missing"...

Edited by 10centcomics

On 1/9/2022 at 8:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:
Grader Notes
centerfold missing

On 1/9/2022 at 9:07 AM, goldust40 said:

Yikes, because if the centerfold is indeed missing, then this book should have received either the Green Qualified 4.0 label or the Blue 0.5 Incomplete label for the missing centerfold.  :fear:  doh!

On 1/10/2022 at 12:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Yikes, because if the centerfold is indeed missing, then this book should have received either the Green Qualified 4.0 label or the Blue 0.5 Incomplete label for the missing centerfold.  :fear:  doh!

At one time they would have mentioned a missing centerfold on the label. Now you need notes. AND it gets a 4.0? Garbage.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, october said:
On 1/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, bpc3qh said:

Quite a mistake to make...

Untitled.png

You can certainly say that again, as that's my book which you are looking at there.  :luhv:

This copy here is worth much more than the other 10,600+ CGC 9.8 graded copies of this book that's already out there as it is the only known inverted cover production variant since CGC correctly slabbed it according to the interior pages of the book, but forgot to identify the variant cover on their label.  :sumo:  :censored:

On 1/10/2022 at 12:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached

Has anyone flagged this to Heritage or CGC?  Unless it's confirmed with CGC that the grader's notes are erroneous (in which case they should be corrected immediately), this book needs to be pulled from the auction because the label is wrong.