• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 10:15 PM, tth2 said:

Has anyone flagged this to Heritage or CGC?  Unless it's confirmed with CGC that the grader's notes are erroneous (in which case they should be corrected immediately), this book needs to be pulled from the auction because the label is wrong. 

I sent em an email earlier raising the issue - as anyone buying this will be very upset if/when they learn of the true condition of the book.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Yikes, because if the centerfold is indeed missing, then this book should have received either the Green Qualified 4.0 label or the Blue 0.5 Incomplete label for the missing centerfold.  :fear:  doh!

They're not trying to spoil you guys like they used to.... It's grading in the real world now.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/9/2022 at 9:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Since most of the books I'm interested in are about a week away from completion I decided to go through them all and review the grader notes for each in order to narrow down my spending.

This All-Star Comics #4 jumped out at me, which on the surface looked to be a great entry level copy for me to buy (I absolutely love this cover - my favourite of all Golden Age team covers. I have a very low grade copy that has a panel cut out, and I have dreamt of upgrading it) but now with these notes there is no way it won't be overpriced for what it really is!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-4-dc-1941-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-97070.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

lf-8.thumb.jpeg.c20a3020d4a8f42e1ca08245c2d73dbe.jpeg

Nice, right? Label looks good, right? PLOT TWIST...incomplete, at best a 2.0/2.5 on a good day.

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached
piece out left top of front cover

@CGC Mike

On 1/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

lf-8.thumb.jpeg.c20a3020d4a8f42e1ca08245c2d73dbe.jpeg

Nice, right? Label looks good, right? PLOT TWIST...incomplete, at best a 2.0/2.5 on a good day.

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached
piece out left top of front cover

You mean a green label 2.0 right?

Cause this is a 0.5 universal as is 

With how everybody seems to be zoning in even more than usual on the key first appearances in this red hot marketplace of ours, I've always felt that the second appearance issues have gone under appreciated and undervalued, with this little beauty here being no exception at all:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-28-dc-1939-cgc-fn-60-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-95037.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-OtherAvailable-081514#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F4%2F8%2F25248897%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Will definitely be interesting to watch and see where this nicely presenting unrestored copy ends up at since there's only 5 other unrestored copies of this key book with the 2nd appearance of Batman in higher grade, and yet the current bid for now is only a shade over its condition guide value. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 1/10/2022 at 4:20 AM, goldust40 said:
On 1/10/2022 at 4:14 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm just so happy I found that out NOW. I would have wanted to murder someone had I won this auction and found out later - thank you free grader notes from saving me at least a grand or two $$$.

Checking every single books grader notes now that they are free is pretty much required.

Agreed, the odd egregious mistake will slip through the cracks.

Over on Clink...

image.thumb.png.c6d1d5421fa28173d90ab3ffc0c3b4bb.png

On 1/11/2022 at 10:22 PM, lou_fine said:

With how everybody seems to be zoning in even more than usual on the key first appearances in this red hot marketplace of ours, I've always felt that the second appearance issues have gone under appreciated and undervalued, with this little beauty here being no exception at all:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-28-dc-1939-cgc-fn-60-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-95037.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-OtherAvailable-081514#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F4%2F8%2F25248897%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Will definitely be interesting to watch and see where this nicely presenting unrestored copy ends up at since there's only 5 other unrestored copies of this key book with the 2nd appearance of Batman in higher grade, and yet the current bid for now is only a shade over its condition guide value. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Yes, this should bring big money

@Gotham Kid

On 1/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have notified CGC.  

Thanks Mike. 

Heritage also got back to me today, they said they have reach out to CGC who are now reviewing the book / notes for any errors and shall know something by Friday.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:22 AM, lou_fine said:

this nicely presenting unrestored copy ends up at since there's only 5 other unrestored copies of this key book with the 2nd appearance of Batman in higher grade

Out of 15 Universal copies, 4 are 0.5s. That says a lot.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 1/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, lou_fine said:

this nicely presenting unrestored copy ends up at since there's only 5 other unrestored copies of this key book with the 2nd appearance of Batman in higher grade

Out of 15 Universal copies, 4 are 0.5s. That says a lot.

Just maybe this says that instead of doing your usual Friday night partying, you should give some serious thought to tossing in a bid for this book.  hm

• Administrator
On 1/12/2022 at 2:39 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Thanks Mike. 

Heritage also got back to me today, they said they have reach out to CGC who are now reviewing the book / notes for any errors and shall know something by Friday.

You are welcome.  That's what I heard as well.  

On 1/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, Professor K said:

Will the Action 1 hit 3 million? Will the 4.5 Detective 27 reach 1 million? Will the Marvel Comics 1 finally start getting some bids? Stay tuned to find out.

If we’re counting BP, I’ll take the over on all of these. Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to contribute to the outcome of these books :)

On 1/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, goldust40 said:

The Mike Zeck page featuring Venom’s first appearance just went for $3.36 million. :whatthe:

And the Action 1 went for less @ $3.18 million. Weird world we live in. 

Edited by goldust40