• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, RareHighGrade said:

$11,400, almost 30X Guide.  Can anyone explain why it went for so much?

It's uncommon and a cool cover, but who can really explain prices on Prize books, they seem to be all over the place. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, RareHighGrade said:

$11,400, almost 30X Guide.  Can anyone explain why it went for so much?

I think that some people bid in these auctions thinking, "I'm walking away with this book no matter what," and when two bidders have that same attitude, then you see bizarre results.

To me, $11,400 would be a lot of money, but to some people, it's nothing. Some people also mistakenly believe that any price that they pay at auction is reasonable because they're only one increment above somebody else. 

With a book like that, I would want to see where the third- and fourth-highest bidders stopped bidding; that would give me a better idea of the book's true long-term value. (I'm not sure whether that kind of information is available on the Heritage site the way it is on eBay; if it is, I don't know where to find it.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, rjpb said:

It's uncommon and a cool cover, but who can really explain prices on Prize books, they seem to be all over the place. 

So when we see the results, we should expect to be sur-Prized?

This used to be highest graded, I paid what I thought may have been overpaying maybe two years ago on C'Link, but the results of the new highest graded only a half point higher yesterday on HA (getting almost 3x what i got this for) make me very happy I did pay what I did . 

Ship has sailed on #18 for me though, yesterday confirmed that lol, time to adjust the ol remaining want list. 

RADAD03520181112_16530.jpg

On 1/16/2022 at 12:16 AM, tth2 said:

Pretty sure it's for the signature, which is kind of nuts considering you can still buy some Frazetta OA (with his signature) for less than $19,800.

Well, if buyers are paying so much more for a signature, just imagine how much this signature laden book will be able to fetch later today:  :fear:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-signature-series-stan-lee-and-others-marvel-1974-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/122203-15490.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

On 1/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if buyers are paying so much more for a signature, just imagine how much this signature laden book will be able to fetch later today:  :fear:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-signature-series-stan-lee-and-others-marvel-1974-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/122203-15490.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

Good move on the part of Heritage to mention the issue in title and description. Otherwise, most bidders would have no idea what they'd be bidding on.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/16/2022 at 2:30 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 1/15/2022 at 8:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Being the old fart that I am, I would definitely have gone for his stunning and super rare OA for the cover to Detective Comics 28.  :cloud9:   

Metro own both OA to 28 and 30 iirc

Well, definitely pretty tough to miss the outstanding OA cover for 'Tec 28 as it's front and center when you walk past their front door.  :luhv:

I believe they did have the OA cover for 'Tec 30, but not as much of a standout or memorable for me personally as that is probably one of my least favorite covers out of the short pre-Robin 'Tec run.  (shrug)

On 1/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/16/2022 at 2:30 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Metro own both OA to 28 and 30 iirc

Yes, Dean is subtly indicating he's been a VIP guest at Metro's offices.

Nah.............just indicating that I am not really that much of a BA guy, especially in comparison to those classic pre-Batman 'Tec style covers done by Flessel and Guardineer at the time.  :luhv:

As for the Metro offices in the crime infested heart of NYC, absolutely nothing but a derelict shack in comparison to my visit to the plush and palatial Hui mansion in the elegant and upscale neighboring HK seaside village district of Stanley where all of the wealthy ex-pats reside alongside their private collections of vintage collectible comic books and OA.  :cloud9:  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, Point Five said:

Is that someone's supermarket list across the cover?

Only now did I take a look at the label and it says "Spiderman meets Wolverine" ??????

Might as well have said "I just F up any chance you will ever have of selling this comic. Suck it."

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/15/2022 at 5:54 PM, Pantodude said:

Presents amazingly well for a 5.5, and the Promise 7.0 did sell for $8700 just a few months ago.

Edited by nearmint

On 1/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, lou_fine said:

After seeing this result here, it makes me wonder if Halperin has the fingers on both of his hands working overtime on this book here:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Daredevil #168 (Marvel, 1981) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade.  Especially since this is a relatively common as dirt book in grade as it was pretty much hoarded by all of the collectors back in the day when it first came out. :screwy:

Any bets that there's going to be a ton of copies of this book being sent into CGC for grading after this result, which will go a long way to stuffing their coffers to overflowing.  Which reminds me that I really really do need to get around to fnding my copies so that I can send in at least a couple of them to get the fresh looking inks squished squashed right out of the pages before they get moved over to the next room for grading.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

Newsstand copy fever run amok?

I thought this Cap 3 would go for more.  Someone tried to erase something off the back cover;  first with steel wool, then with an eraser.  Still, I thought it would bring more

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-vg-45-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7266-95025.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, Pantodude said:

I was wondering about the Batman #49, too.   I thought the 8.5 result was due in part to rumors that Mad Hatter might make his movie debut in the Pattinson flick, but then what happened here?  Sometimes it just depends on who shows up to auction. 

Any thoughts on the Batman #18 5.5 W which sold for $5040 today?  Good?  Strong?  Something else?    

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-18-dc-1943-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/a/7266-97077.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

363807335_Screenshot(544).thumb.png.8098ddb486a3159d17f3d9e810437f82.png

That was a pretty strong price, not crazy high but decently high.  I paid $6,680.35 for an 8.0 copy back in 2021.