• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Was there a difference back then in the early 80's as I believe all of my copies have the same UPC barcode in that box?  hm  (shrug)

The direct sales copies have a Spider-Man head in the UPC box, and the price/issue number box at top left is a different shape…

3-BBB2478-ABA0-4-B32-B526-333-BD0-C69-CD
4-D59-D899-EF76-4604-924-C-50-F3-B75-E86

Edited by nearmint

On 1/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, nearmint said:

The direct sales copies have a Spider-Man head in the UPC box, and the price/issue number box at top left is a different shape…

Totally aware of the difference in the UPC boxes and pricing boxes between the Direct and Newsstand copies.  (thumbsu

The question which I am unsure about is wasn't the time period of the early 80's just when the Direct distribution system was starting out and not as well developed and in place as later on in the decade.  As a result, weren't some of the LCS's, depending upon your region, still receiving Newsstand copies or some combination of both in their shipment of comics?  hm  (shrug)

Need to check, but I am quite sure that I do have some Newsstand copies of this DD 168 in my collection, even though I clearly remember cherry picking and buying every single one of my copies from a few of the LCS's in my area at the time.  :luhv:

BTW:  Based upon this rather "jump the shark" latest Heritage result on the DD 168 if it holds up, it looks like you are going to make good bank on your copies here.  :applause:  :wishluck:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Totally aware of the difference in the UPC boxes and pricing boxes between the Direct and Newsstand copies.  (thumbsu

The question which I am unsure about is wasn't the time period of the early 80's just when the Direct distribution system was starting out and not as well developed and in place as later on in the decade.  As a result, weren't some of the LCS's, depending upon your region, still receiving Newsstand copies or some combination of both in their shipment of comics?  hm  (shrug)

Need to check, but I am quite sure that I do have some Newsstand copies of this DD 168 in my collection, even though I clearly remember cherry picking and buying every single one of my copies from a few of the LCS's in my area at the time.  :luhv:

BTW:  Based upon this rather "jump the shark" latest Heritage result on the DD 168 if it holds up, it looks like you are going to make good bank on your copies here.  :applause:  :wishluck:  :banana:

Lol, not my copies.  Just grabbed for comparison.  

On 1/16/2022 at 4:12 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I thought this Cap 3 would go for more.  Someone tried to erase something off the back cover;  first with steel wool, then with an eraser.  Still, I thought it would bring more

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-vg-45-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7266-95025.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Although I thought this copy here might have had a chance at hitting the $40K price point, at least it gave it a good shot coming in at $38,400.  (thumbsu

Definitely fared a lot better than the so-called Eldon pedigree CGC 7.0 graded copy which manged to hit only $52,800 back in 2020 or less than 4X condition guide, whereas this non-ped copy here at least managed to just squeaked by north of 6X condition guide.  I am always of the mind set that comic book valuations tend to move in cycles, and as such, the first GA books out of the gate were the pre-Robin 'Tec books about 5 years ago which was then followed closely behind by the early Supes cover Action's like Action 13, early Archie's like Jackpot 4 and even the classic cover Archie 50, and also the early Cap's like All-Select 1 and Cap 3.  :applause:

With the big head start and the rather blistering pace that those "first out of the gate" GA books took a few years ago, the acceleration for all of these early risers seem to slowed down during the past couple of years since the start of Covid as other sectors within the GA marketplace started to do their big catchup.  If you look at Cap 3 for example, for awhile there (similar to Action 13), even mid-grade restored copies were selling for multiples of condition guide and into the $20K price range.  So, hopefully this most recent sale at $38,400 is signalling that Cap 3 is back on track and about to pick up their pace again, as compared to the past 2 years.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, batman_fan said:
On 1/16/2022 at 4:42 AM, Larryw7 said:

Maybe I'll actually be able to afford one again.

I was a little surprised at the hammer on this one.

From my personal point of view, far too many copies of this book in far too short of a time.  hm

Heck, without even taking a look at CL or the CC archives, it looks like Heritage on its own has auctioned off a whopping total of 16 copies of this book within just the past 2 years. :p

Eventually, the number of buyers that's willing to continue to bid top dollars for this book is going to keep dwindling down over such a short time period. :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/17/2022 at 12:54 AM, tth2 said:

That's what they said about TMNT 1, Hulk 181, etc.

Yes, but these are much more recent books with a much larger pool of buyers out there including speculators who love to flip these books as you always tend to see multiple copies available in every single auction.  (thumbsu

Not so much for the GA books like Batman 49 which you pretty much don't see more than a handful come to market every year, let alone 16 copies from just one auction house in a short 2-year time period.  (shrug)

On 1/17/2022 at 2:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but these are much more recent books with a much larger pool of buyers out there including speculators who love to flip these books as you always tend to see multiple copies available in every single auction.  (thumbsu

Not so much for the GA books like Batman 49 which you pretty much don't see more than a handful come to market every year, let alone 16 copies from just one auction house in a short 2-year time period.  (shrug)

I was scrolling through my watched list on HA, 75 or so items.  I think the most watchers any of them had was 134 and the most bidders was 24.  I have nothing to compare that to, but I'd be curious to know how this translates to the the number of collectors out there.  OA seems to have many more trackers than comics, I assume because there's not GPA/GoCollect, etc., for art.  

On 1/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, woowoo said:

I was looking at what is left found this at $22 but says 51 with BP how can the BP be more than the book ? 

King Comics #48 (David McKay Publications, 1940) CGC FN 6.0 Cream | Lot #15548 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

The minimum Heritage BP is currently $29 is my understanding.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, lou_fine said:

With these kinds of results on some of his Famous Funnies covers, it makes me wonder what kind of prices we could see if copies of either FF 213 or FF214 in nice grade comes up for auction, especially since I consider those two covers to be the high water mark of his Famous Funnies run and a run which even he himself said:  (thumbsu  :cloud9:  :takeit:

"All I know is that I was very pleased with those Famous Funnies covers; they are me at my very best."

Never mind as it look like I got the answer to my above question right here:  :screwy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324596257762?hash=item4b9371d3e2:g:ZrkAAOSwG8dgofbf

Image 1 - Famous Funnies Comics  #214 - Off-White to White pages - FRANK FRAZETTA

Love the high res quality of the photo here, especially since he's asking a piddly $105K for this copy of Famous Funnies 214 here.  :roflmao:

On 1/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Never mind as it look like I got the answer to my above question right here:  :screwy:

Image 1 - Famous Funnies Comics  #214 - Off-White to White pages - FRANK FRAZETTA

Love the high res quality of the photo here, especially since he's asking a piddly $105K for this copy of Famous Funnies 214 here.  :roflmao:

Don’t get me wrong; I wish this book were mine. But I’d put a fork in my eye before I’d pay $105k for it

If you sell something that was posted on eBay and then sell it offline, then take the listing down, eBay will investigate as to why you took it down, they can read eBay messages. So if you take the listing down and they find out someone wanted to buy it offline and you did, they issue warnings/strikes to both parties involved. Only way to prevent it is to leave the listing up but put an insane price on the item no one will ever pay. Don't be surprised if the FF 214 is already sold. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, sagii said:

This used to be highest graded, I paid what I thought may have been overpaying maybe two years ago on C'Link, but the results of the new highest graded only a half point higher yesterday on HA (getting almost 3x what i got this for) make me very happy I did pay what I did . 

Ship has sailed on #18 for me though, yesterday confirmed that lol, time to adjust the ol remaining want list. 

RADAD03520181112_16530.jpg

I bid on this book and walked away because the price just got insane. Someone was clearly after rare and esoteric GA books this auction and although books like this were never cheap, they were never this absurdly priced. Super cool cover and I love the Prize run up to issue 26. Every one hard to find and they've gotten even harder to own.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, bodhee11 said:

I bid on this book and walked away because the price just got insane. Someone was clearly after rare and esoteric GA books this auction and although books like this were never cheap, they were never this absurdly priced. Super cool cover and I love the Prize run up to issue 26. Every one hard to find and they've gotten even harder to own.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Don’t get me wrong; I wish this book were mine. But I’d put a fork in my eye before I’d pay $105k for it

On 1/19/2022 at 7:01 AM, Kevin76 said:

Don't be surprised if the FF 214 is already sold. 

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that they would be able to sell the book at this price, as didn't we see the same listing back about a year ago?  Now, if they took one of the zero's out from the right hand side, they would stand a much better chance of selling this book.  (thumbsu

I guess I must be showing my age here, but I know exactly how Clark feels here as I would have felt like putting a fork in my eye before I'd pay this amount for the book, even if there had been two zero's taken out from the right hand side of this amount at the time.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:  

On 1/19/2022 at 3:03 AM, lou_fine said:

This is one of the best cover ever… however, I’d hate to be in the cockpit of this spaceship.  Alan Shepard had more leg room etc!

On 1/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

It appears New Adventures are enjoying a resurgence, with the mid-grade nos. 30 and 31 going for 4-5X Overstreet Guide.  @lou_fine, I know you've been waiting for this to finally happen.   

Yes, I've always loved the pre-hero DC books since that was my first foray into vintage collectible comic books when I decided to expand my collecting horizons beyond buying books off the shelves of the LCS's back in the latter part of the 80's.  Unfortunately, I was never able to get more than a very small handful of them because they were just so tough to find, and with my limited budget allocated for vintage comic books at the time, as most others probably also have done, shifted over to the regular GA which were a lot easier to acquire.  (thumbsu

From your post here, I assume you must be referring to both of these New Adventures which sold in the Heritage Auction last week:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, New Adventure Comics #30 (DC, 1938) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, New Adventure Comics #31 (DC, 1938) CGC FN 6.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Yes, looks like both of these copies here sold at pretty strong prices of $4,800 and $4,560 respectively, although they both do present nicely relative to their assigned grades.  Very tough to beat these outstanding Flessel pre-hero covers and the reason why I just couldn't resist picking up a low-grade raw copy of the New Adventure 30 for about $500 when I came across one at a local comic con a few years ago, especially since I've always loved this partocular cover. :cloud9: :takeit:  :banana:

On 1/19/2022 at 9:28 PM, Aman619 said:

This is one of the best cover ever… however, I’d hate to be in the cockpit of this spaceship.  Alan Shepard had more leg room etc!

Not to mention some dude randomly dropping in on the back in outer space.  It's a beautiful image, but absolutely ridiculous in content.