• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2023 at 1:28 AM, lou_fine said:
On 1/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, tth2 said:

The buyer of the 9.4 copy that sold on eBay for much less earlier this year should be happy! :wink: 

With your emoticon here, are you suggesting that somebody who is The Master when it comes to timing their sales is also just as good at timing their purchases?  hm

No, not me, unfortunately, but I do know who won it.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:28 AM, lou_fine said:

Nah...........couldn't be since this is a piddly CGC 9.4 graded copy and virtually an universe away from your former CGC 9.6 highest graded copy.  :wink:

I've never owned a 9.6 copy of FC 386.  :sorry:

On 1/14/2023 at 1:50 AM, MrBedrock said:

Possibly so, but books like that - the icons of the hobby - are generally pretty immune to those factors. There might be swings a little this way or that, but for this book I would think the expectation from both the consignor and the auction house was about twice the realized price.

Well known, high profile but common books like AF 15, IH 181, TMNT 1, etc. were probably the most likely recipients of outside money that came into the hobby from crypto, newly rich sports card sellers, etc. during the Pandemic, so it's not surprising that they're the most likely to get hit as that money drains away from the hobby.   

The prices for AF 15 at all levels got insane during the Pandemic, so I think recent prices are much more realistic (in fact, still too high IMO).  Of course, I'm sure that's not much consolation for the seller of the AF 15, but if he bought it pre-Pandemic then he's probably still done very well in absolute terms and the pain is just psychological from unrealistic expectations. 

What will be really interesting to see is if there will be similar falls in GA mega-keys, which might have also been boosted by outside money during the Pandemic but are not nearly as common.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, MasterChief said:

Not sure about CLG, but this low-grade book is down 30% from its last sale with yesterday’s close.

BM-1_1-8_sales.png.3cc00ee470daffa5b0207188c52d8e1f.png

Yup, Batman 1 and Captain America 1 are the most common GA mega-keys, so it wouldn't surprise me if low grade copies of those books experience the same deflation we are seeing with SA, BA and CA mega-keys. 

On 1/14/2023 at 3:29 AM, tth2 said:

Yup, Batman 1 and Captain America 1 are the most common GA mega-keys, so it wouldn't surprise me if low grade copies of those books experience the same deflation we are seeing with SA, BA and CA mega-keys. 

(thumbsu

except of course for prices on that Ultimate 4 Spiderman, that defies all logic and sanity.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/13/2023 at 7:14 PM, tth2 said:

I've never owned a 9.6 copy of FC 386.  :sorry:

My bad as I was getting it confused with your former CGC 9.6 graded coy of FC 178 that you had sold back in the summer of 2021.  doh!

Any idea which one would be worth more in today's marketplace......the single highest 9.6 graded copy of FC 178 or would it be the 9.6 FC 386?  hm

On 1/14/2023 at 7:29 AM, october said:

PL 15 in 5.0 went for $30,000. Not an issue I follow, though I have a midgrade, but that seems super strong.

You actually made me go back to take a look as that indeed would have been a super strong and  :screwy: price for a mid-grade copy of PL 15.  :whatthe:

Turns out this $30K was for a copy of Phantom Lady 17 which then makes a whole lot more sense here, albeit still a strong price.  :applause:

On 1/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, lou_fine said:

You actually made me go back to take a look as that indeed would have been a super strong and  :screwy: price for a mid-grade copy of PL 15.  :whatthe:

Turns out this $30K was for a copy of Phantom Lady 17 which then makes a whole lot more sense here, albeit still a strong price.  :applause:

Yeah, 17. Told you I didn't follow it!

On 1/14/2023 at 8:29 AM, october said:

PL 17 in 5.0 went for $30,000. Not an issue I follow, though I have a midgrade, but that seems super strong.

PLs have been smoking hot lately.  4.0/4.5 #17s have broken 20k multiple times over the last two years and it seems to be holding up.  Other issues are doing really well in the last 6 months too.  No bust in the GA market yet I don't think.

image.png.487a405f4ed24a63a93a01171c0d7dcb.png

Edited by szav