• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 2:12 PM, Aman619 said:

Just looked at GPA.  180 in 9.2. sold this month for 2650, last year 3500.    #181 is 9600 in Jan 2023 down from 12500.  So Bob’s caught with his pants slightly below his cheeks, but not ridiculously obscene. AND his price guide is relevant at last!

Well, at least nothing in comparison to Wizard back in the early 90's as they were caught with their shorty short shorts right down around their ankles :blush: quite a few times when they were trying to "set" or lead prices in the marketplace.  Especially when they listed rather sky high valuations on so-called hot books at the top of their Top 10 Red Hot List that actually didn't even end up making it onto the shelves of the LCS as scheduled due to either creative or production related deadline delay issues.  :facepalm:

On 1/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, Aman619 said:

I haven't seen any BA and CA drops in the guide yet.  or did you mean in actual market sales?  Have prices dropped? I wish some one here would post gleefully about it a little!  : )

Ask and ye shall receive.  Took a quick look at some of the Heritage weekend auction prices and I would definitely say that there are now a whole lot more relatively easy to find, but once so-called hot BA and CA books that WERE selling at strong prices during 2021/22 that are NOW selling for not only big discounts to their recent irrational exuberant highs, but also at noticeable discounts to their condition guide values, including some of the following:  :frown:

1)  ASM 300 in CGC 9.2 sold for $516 or at only 64.5% to condition guide of $800 and a Heritage listed high of $780 in October of 2022 for this grade;

2)  Daredevil 168 in CGC 9.2 sold for $288 or at only 64% to condition guide of $450 and a Heritage listed high of $480 in June of 2022 for this grade;

3)  GSXM 1 in CGC 8.5 sold for $4,080 or at only 65% to condition guide of $6,250 and a HA listed high of $$7,200 in January of 2022 for this grade;

4)  GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 sold for $29,249 in CL on Monday or at only 43% compared to a listed CL CGC 9.8 result of $67,900 in March of 2021;  

5)  Hulk 180 in CGC 9.0 sold for $1,680 or at 87% to condition guide of $1,928 and a HA listed high of $3,120 in November of 2021 for this grade;

6)  Hulk 181 in CGC 8.5 sold for $6,600 or at 88% to condition guide of $7,500 and a Heritage listed high of $8,400 in May of 2022 for this grade;

7)  Iron Man 55 in CGC 9.2 sold for $1,860 or at 93% to condition guide of $2,000 and a HA listed high of $2,160 in March of 2022 for this grade;

8)  Marvel Spotlight 5 in CGC 7.5 sold for $1,740 or at 81% to condition guide of $2,137.5 and a HA high of $4,020 in March of 2022 for this grade;

9)  Marvel Super-Heroes 13 in CGC 9.0 sold for $1,080 or at 52% to condition guide of $2,062 and a HA high of $1,800 in Sept of 2020 for this grade;

10) Star Wars 1 in CGC 9.2 sold for $336 or at only 67% to condition guide of $500 and a HA listed high of $540 in October of 2022 for this grade;

11) Strange Tales 180 in CGC 9.4 sold for $312 compared to 9.2 top of guide at $325 and a HA listed high of $528 in Dec. of 2021 in CGC 9.4; and

12) Wolverine 1 Mini in CGC 9.2 sold for $139 or at 69.5% to condition guide of $200 and a HA listed high of $188.40 in June of 2022 for this grade.

Obviously, somebody with far too much time on my hands after the hectic Christmas rush looking for something to do.  So, even though this is a SELECTED sample of some auction results during the past few days for what are supposedly in-demand BA and CA books, it should provide you with a general answer to your initial question of whether prices have dropped or not.  Haven't bothered to check, but I would suspect the drops for the CGC 9.8's would be even larger since the swings in the more extreme grades usually tend to be more volatile or exaggerated, as seen by the 57% drop in the CGC 9.8 graded copy of GSXM 1 when compared to the 43% market price drop for the CGC 8.5 graded copy.  Then again, all good if you are a long term collector since the $29K price point is still more than a double from the low teen's where the CGC 9.8's were selling for just prior to the pandemic.  I guess it really depends on where it will eventually settle in at as it took a temporary pause in the high $40K's and then in the mid $30K's and now > $30K on its descent back down from its pandemic peak in the $60K's price point.   hm  (shrug)

All somber seriousness aside and in good fun, since there's been zero activity in this sleepy thread for the past couple of days, maybe it might just need my usual obligatory touch of bad humor to spice it up a bit by leaving some low hanging pejorative fruit for some good fellow boardies like @buttock  :)  to pluck and munch away on for their midnight snack: :wink:

Oh come on now, move along as there's really nothing to see here except for a case of some penny pinching bottom of the barrel scraping cheapos of today taking advantage of some mindless day trading crypto deluded CGC label chasers of yesterday during a momentary weakness in the marketplace.  lol

Ok, all kidding aside for real now, haven't seen this kind of down draft in the much HTF GA marketplace so far to date, but you can never say never since this comic book market from a historical POV have usually always tended to move in cycles.  hm  :wishluck: 

Edited by lou_fine

When it comes to danger in the waters, I guess the femme fatales tend to attract a whole lot more loving from the collecting base:  :luhv: - lou_fine

So true.  It's just one of those the Baker cover's everyone wants . I wonder if the other 9.2 is a Church or other pedigree. Reminds me of New Adventure 27 a lot .......minus the femme fatale. 

Edited by Professor K

On 1/16/2023 at 11:38 AM, lou_fine said:

That's it exactly as you can never really look at the price guide valuations in isolation by themselves without also looking at its multiplier.  (thumbsu

It's rather a bit surprising how consistent this multiplier can be over time for most books in general, but you can also see the changing sentiment in the marketplace for individual books when there are noticeably significant changes to this multiplier. hm

Not a good sign though when what was once a multiplier for the longest while changes into a divisor as has happened the past several months in the case of many of the so-called red hot but readily available BA and CA keys or quasi-keys from the past couple of years.  :frown:

On 1/18/2023 at 11:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, at least nothing in comparison to Wizard back in the early 90's as they were caught with their shorty short shorts right down around their ankles :blush: quite a few times when they were trying to "set" or lead prices in the marketplace.  Especially when they listed rather sky high valuations on so-called hot books at the top of their Top 10 Red Hot List that actually didn't even end up making it onto the shelves of the LCS as scheduled due to either creative or production related deadline delay issues.  :facepalm:

Ask and ye shall receive.  Took a quick look at some of the Heritage weekend auction prices and I would definitely say that there are now a whole lot more relatively easy to find, but once so-called hot BA and CA books that WERE selling at strong prices during 2021/22 that are NOW selling for not only big discounts to their recent irrational exuberant highs, but also at noticeable discounts to their condition guide values, including some of the following:  :frown:

1)  ASM 300 in CGC 9.2 sold for $516 or at only 64.5% to condition guide of $800 and a Heritage listed high of $780 in October of 2022 for this grade;

2)  Daredevil 168 in CGC 9.2 sold for $288 or at only 64% to condition guide of $450 and a Heritage listed high of $480 in June of 2022 for this grade;

3)  GSXM 1 in CGC 8.5 sold for $4,080 or at only 65% to condition guide of $6,250 and a HA listed high of $$7,200 in January of 2022 for this grade;

4)  GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 sold for $29,249 in CL on Monday or at only 43% compared to a listed CL CGC 9.8 result of $67,900 in March of 2021;  

5)  Hulk 180 in CGC 9.0 sold for $1,680 or at 87% to condition guide of $1,928 and a HA listed high of $3,120 in November of 2021 for this grade;

6)  Hulk 181 in CGC 8.5 sold for $6,600 or at 88% to condition guide of $7,500 and a Heritage listed high of $8,400 in May of 2022 for this grade;

7)  Iron Man 55 in CGC 9.2 sold for $1,860 or at 93% to condition guide of $2,000 and a HA listed high of $2,160 in March of 2022 for this grade;

8)  Marvel Spotlight 5 in CGC 7.5 sold for $1,740 or at 81% to condition guide of $2,137.5 and a HA high of $4,020 in March of 2022 for this grade;

9)  Marvel Super-Heroes 13 in CGC 9.0 sold for $1,080 or at 52% to condition guide of $2,062 and a HA high of $1,800 in Sept of 2020 for this grade;

10) Star Wars 1 in CGC 9.2 sold for $336 or at only 67% to condition guide of $500 and a HA listed high of $540 in October of 2022 for this grade;

11) Strange Tales 180 in CGC 9.4 sold for $312 compared to 9.2 top of guide at $325 and a HA listed high of $528 in Dec. of 2021 in CGC 9.4; and

12) Wolverine 1 Mini in CGC 9.2 sold for $139 or at 69.5% to condition guide of $200 and a HA listed high of $188.40 in June of 2022 for this grade.

Obviously, somebody with far too much time on my hands after the hectic Christmas rush looking for something to do.  So, even though this is a SELECTED sample of some auction results during the past few days for what are supposedly in-demand BA and CA books, it should provide you with a general answer to your initial question of whether prices have dropped or not.  Haven't bothered to check, but I would suspect the drops for the CGC 9.8's would be even larger since the swings in the more extreme grades usually tend to be more volatile or exaggerated, as seen by the 57% drop in the CGC 9.8 graded copy of GSXM 1 when compared to the 43% market price drop for the CGC 8.5 graded copy.  Then again, all good if you are a long term collector since the $29K price point is still more than a double from the low teen's where the CGC 9.8's were selling for just prior to the pandemic.  I guess it really depends on where it will eventually settle in at as it took a temporary pause in the high $40K's and then in the mid $30K's and now > $30K on its descent back down from its pandemic peak in the $60K's price point.   hm  (shrug)

All somber seriousness aside and in good fun, since there's been zero activity in this sleepy thread for the past couple of days, maybe it might just need my usual obligatory touch of bad humor to spice it up a bit by leaving some low hanging pejorative fruit for some good fellow boardies like @buttock  :)  to pluck and munch away on for their midnight snack: :wink:

Oh come on now, move along as there's really nothing to see here except for a case of some penny pinching bottom of the barrel scraping cheapos of today taking advantage of some mindless day trading crypto deluded CGC label chasers of yesterday during a momentary weakness in the marketplace.  lol

Ok, all kidding aside for real now, haven't seen this kind of down draft in the much HTF GA marketplace so far to date, but you can never say never since this comic book market from a historical POV have usually always tended to move in cycles.  hm  :wishluck: 

I think we are going to see a "I TOLD YOU SO" from a red faced Bob for finally trying to catch ALL the way to the 2022 market.  Guess he/they felt we were safely into a brave new world of comics sales after dragging his heels for 50 years.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, tth2 said:

I'm really looking forward to images of this one. I guess I lack clarity regarding the grading of books with double covers. It seems odd that the book received an overall grade of 9.4 with the first cover graded at 7.0.

Sensation Comics #2 Double Cover (DC, 1942) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Not only is this the single highest CGC-graded copy of the second issue, but it's also a double cover copy! This was the first appearance of Etta Candy, and the Second appearances of Wildcat, Black Pirate, Mr. Terrific, and Gay Ghost. The scary skyscraper Wonder Woman cover is by H. G. Peter, who also drew interior art along with Sheldon Moldoff and Irwin Hasen. CGC notes, "Double Cover: 1st cover 7.0, interior cover 9.4." Overstreet 2022 NM- 9.2 value = $13,500. CGC census 11/22: 1 in 9.4, none higher.

CGC Grader Notes:
double cover 1st cover 7.0, interior cover 9.4
shadow full top of back cover
shadow left center of front cover
spine stress lines breaks color
tear with crease left center of back cover
light readers crease left center of cover

On 1/22/2023 at 8:50 AM, mtracy64 said:

I'm really looking forward to images of this one. I guess I lack clarity regarding the grading of books with double covers. It seems odd that the book received an overall grade of 9.4 with the first cover graded at 7.0.

Sensation Comics #2 Double Cover (DC, 1942) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Not only is this the single highest CGC-graded copy of the second issue, but it's also a double cover copy! This was the first appearance of Etta Candy, and the Second appearances of Wildcat, Black Pirate, Mr. Terrific, and Gay Ghost. The scary skyscraper Wonder Woman cover is by H. G. Peter, who also drew interior art along with Sheldon Moldoff and Irwin Hasen. CGC notes, "Double Cover: 1st cover 7.0, interior cover 9.4." Overstreet 2022 NM- 9.2 value = $13,500. CGC census 11/22: 1 in 9.4, none higher.

CGC Grader Notes:

Will be interesting to see how this does, I don't think I've ever seen such a high grade interior cover with that much of a lower grade on the outer cover.  While the consignor didn't want to pull the book apart, how surprised would anyone be to see this one come back to auction in a year or so as a single cover 9.4?  The image isnt up yet, but 'shadow left center cover' doesn't bode well for how presentable this technical 9.4 will be.

Edited by szav

On 1/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, mtracy64 said:

It seems odd that the book received an overall grade of 9.4 with the first cover graded at 7.0.

Since their inception, CGC bases the grade  on the best of the two covers. 

On 1/22/2023 at 10:11 AM, adamstrange said:

Since their inception, CGC bases the grade  on the best of the two covers. 

On 1/22/2023 at 7:50 AM, mtracy64 said:

CGC Grader Notes:

So, am I correct in assuming that the above Grader Notes would be referring to the exterior 7.0 cover?  hm

If so, I feel it would impart a lot more info to the submittor and/or potential bidders if they specify notes for both the interior 9.4 and exterior 7.0 covers.  (thumbsu

On 1/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, szav said:

I don't think I've ever seen such a high grade interior cover with that much of a lower grade on the outer cover. 

There are sellers who will cut out a bad outer cover because they believe that reduces the sales value of a book.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:35 AM, adamstrange said:

There are sellers who will cut out a bad outer cover because they believe that reduces the sales value of a book.

case in point

I had Matt take the outer off and returned to me with the re-slab.  I wanted to retain the Nancy Wessner sig for posterity, but it was a bit too wonky for my taste to look at in the slab.  There is no doubt in my mind that in this case the sales value would increase as a result.

and of course I could have got the outer off myself and just resubbed.  But if I remember correctly it cost $25, and thought the odds of retaining the 9.4 W were so much better having thrown a bone to CCS.

YouthfulloveRomance03f.thumb.jpg.bb24300b010706e391c03af1c90fb957.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

On 1/24/2023 at 3:08 AM, Professor K said:

The girl on Teen-Age Romance 32 looks a lot like the one on Cinderella Love 25.

Good catch! I never noticed that.  (thumbsu  With most artists the faces pretty much all look alike, but Baker's faces are quite distinctive.