• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2023 at 1:01 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow. About 90 Promise books listed so far, mostly DC. 

The Tecs and Batmans might sold for high prices the first time around, but I didn't think that the Actions and Supes sold for particularly strong prices, so those don't have as far to fall. Those could do about the same. I didn't follow the Wonder Womans and Sensations that closely.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:41 AM, szav said:

I think of all the Promise books I see that are up for resale on HA, the Mask 1 probably has the best chance of hitting its original sale price, or even beating it.  PCH has remained insanely on fire recently, and the highest graded Mask 2 went for 118k more recently than the original Mask 1 Promise sale, on CLink no less.

image.png.498f49659e3e76bfbd0af845bc99cf21.png

Well, based upon the fact that the Mask 2 did sell for $118,700 last summer, it seems that common sense should dictate that the Promise copy of Mask 1 should in theory sell for more than the $102K that it fetch in its first go round here.  Then again, when it comes to auctions, it's quite possible that bidders might just take leave of their senses at times and it's hard to say whether this is what happened with the CL sale of Mask 2 or not.  (shrug)

No doubt in part helped by the fact that CL appears to be the master when it comes to hyping their books in terms of their auction lot description:  :takeit:  :banana:

Offered here is the SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED EXAMPLE for one of the most coveted comics ever published, Mask Comics #2. From an advanced private collection where it's been for many years, and just recently certified by CGC, this stunning VF+ 8.5 sits alone as the single finest known example of this L.B. Cole classic. The colors on this book are the best we've ever seen, deep, rich and truly exquisite. Fittingly enough for the single finest example CGC has ever certified, the pages are newsstand-fresh White. It's redundant to say that this is an extremely rare, very special offering, of course. This book would make for a cornerstone in any advanced Golden Age collection and we're positively elated to make it a part of our Spring 2022 Featured Auction.

Who in the world could resist throwing in a higher bid after reading that.  Especially when the CL auction format is based upon bidders throwing in "blind" Hail Mary passes at the end if they really want to win a book and hope that no other bidder is also in there tossing the long bomb at the same time.  Some evidence of this happening in this particular action for the Mask 2 by the fact that the bidding had jumped up from the $50K mark in the last 30 minutes of the auction and then finished itself off with four final bids in the last 20+ seconds of the auction with the book moving up from the $90K mark in those scant few seconds.  :slapfight:

I found it rather interesting to note that although they hyped the fact that it was recently certified recertified as the single highest graded copy, they didn't bother to mention that the CGC census population count for the 8.0 grade had dropped from two copies down to only one copy in the same time period that the 8.5 copy was graded and slabbed.  :devil:

Bottom-line though...........I would tend to agree with you that this book (even without going through the CPR process as per the norm for these Promise books) probably has a better chance to at least break even or possibly even to beat its previous price when compared to the other Promise books that are coming back into the marketplace for this upcoming Heritage Auction.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Great post up there. Another book that would make for a cornerstone in any advanced Golden Age collection which sold in the first round of Promise books coming back to auction is this one. I wish the best for the seller

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/eerie-1-the-promise-collection-pedigree-avon-1947-cgc-nm-92-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7339-166071.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Opera Snapshot_2023-02-05_152405_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K
Link Added

On 2/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, Professor K said:

Great post up there. Another book that would make for a cornerstone in any advanced Golden Age collection which sold in the first round of Promise books coming back to auction is this one. I wish the best for the seller

Well, if you are comparing the chances for the Mask 1 meeting its first round price or more, as compared to the Eerie 1, i would definitely place my bet on the Mask 1.  Especially since it's still the single highest graded unrestored copy to date while the Eerie 1 has 3 equivalent graded copies in the same CGC 9.2 grade and a whopping 87 unrestored copies slabbed to date so far and over 100 in total if you include the Restored and Qualified copies.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/5/2023 at 3:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are comparing the chances for the Mask 1 meeting its first round price or more, as compared to the Eerie 1, i would definitely place my bet on the Mask 1.  Especially since it's still the single highest graded unrestored copy to date while the Eerie 1 has 3 equivalent graded copies in the same CGC 9.2 grade and a whopping 87 unrestored copies slabbed to date so far and over 100 if you include the Restored and Qualified copies.  hm 

Oh no. No no no no no. It's just one of the big books from the first round of the original Promise extravaganza, now offered again in the upcoming auction. That's all. 

On 2/6/2023 at 9:08 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Do you suspect these Promise retreads are from one big buyer who is now consigning these? I do. Its a small pool at the top...

I was thinking the same thing.  Hard to imagine HA had several sellers with a few Promise books they wanted to sell.  If I were going to speculate, I would guess they are Dougy books but that is pure speculation.  Who ever bought them plunked down some serious coin.

T

On 2/6/2023 at 9:38 AM, batman_fan said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Hard to imagine HA had several sellers with a few Promise books they wanted to sell.  If I were going to speculate, I would guess they are Dougy books but that is pure speculation.  Who ever bought them plunked down some serious coin.

Are you referring to Schmell here, because if you are, I would expect whatever were his would have all gone through the standard CPR process because that would appear to be the modus operandi for dealers like him and Ritter?  hm  

Somehow I doubt it because buying runs like some of these DC's would not be the best strategy to follow if you are indeed planning to perform CPR on your purchases.  My guess is that it would possibly be a newbie deep pocketed collector entering the market who recognized the DC brand, but have now decided to cut bait and run as the influencers have left the comic book market and there are better opportunities elsewhere.  (shrug)

Too lazy to check the CGC serial numbers to see if these are possible regrades or not, as the only regrades I've seen so far were from Worldwide.

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/6/2023 at 8:08 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Do you suspect these Promise retreads are from one big buyer who is now consigning these? I do. Its a small pool at the top...

To each their own, but being a long term collector, I've never quite understood the rationale for offloading books so quickly, especially since you probably stand a good chance of losing money playing this game.  (shrug)

On the other hand, I am quite sure that the speculators and shorter term investors probably don't understand why long term collectors are still holding onto all of those BA and CA books which were so red hot last year and could have been sold off for multiples of what they are going for in today's marketplace.  Heck, what in the frigging world are these slow-witted collectors waiting for?  ???  :screwy: lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Is it equally reasonable to suspect that the highest bidder declined to pay on the purchase?

On 2/7/2023 at 8:52 AM, tabcom said:

Is it equally reasonable to suspect that the highest bidder declined to pay on the purchase?

Highly unlikely since most of the initial first run for these Promise books were from more than a year ago and I doubt HA would wait that long to bring them back to market.  In addition, the ones I checked still shows up in their auction archives as being SOLD.  (thumbsu

On 2/8/2023 at 5:07 AM, clarkkentdds said:
On 2/8/2023 at 12:52 AM, tabcom said:

Uh.. yeah was thinking that also.

Unlikely.  There WERE some Promise books where the winner apparently reneged, but they were auctioned again immediately and the first sale was removed from Heritage's records.  These books aren't following that pattern.

Although it's not yet time for the fat lady to get up and sing, any thoughts here on Heritage's new strategy to seemingly shift away from Signature Auctions and in its place have more of these Showcase theme style Auctions on an almost weekly basis now?  hm

Just wondering since I was looking at their Valentine's Good Girl Auction that finishes later tonight and I noticed that their top dollar book to this point in time is still Seven Seas 4 sitting with a hammer bid of $26K.  Are these seemingly too frequent Show case Auctions too low profile in the grand scheme of things and getting lost in between all of the other ongoing auctions taking place since this is the exact same top bid that was in place a few weeks ago?  (shrug)

Pleasantly surprised that most of my bids, including some of my tracking bids, are still holding up to this point in time for now at least.  Especially since in a normal Signature Auction, they would have already been blown out of the water a long time ago.  :whatthe:  :wishluck:

On 2/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Although it's not yet time for the fat lady to get up and sing, any thoughts here on Heritage's new strategy to seemingly shift away from Signature Auctions and in its place have more of these Showcase theme style Auctions on an almost weekly basis now?  hm

Just wondering since I was looking at their Valentine's Good Girl Auction that finishes later tonight and I noticed that their top dollar book to this point in time is still Seven Seas 4 sitting with a hammer bid of $26K.  Are these seemingly too frequent Show case Auctions too low profile in the grand scheme of things and getting lost in between all of the other ongoing auctions taking place since this is the exact same top bid that was in place a few weeks ago?  (shrug)

Pleasantly surprised that most of my bids, including some of my tracking bids, are still holding up to this point in time for now at least.  Especially since in a normal Signature Auction, they would have already been blown out of the water a long time ago.  :whatthe:  :wishluck:

I don’t like, no sir, don’t like it one bit :sumo:

On 2/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Let the paint dry first next time.

image.png.fd842e03e490ea2771a4c05be65d6fbf.png

image.png.38b2ff7b7aa47c8e7b3a54465ad63f36.png

image.png.d8fb6273760f990ff63481996db28a54.png

image.png.78bc18fa75666354590ee1b3944e6a5e.png

Etc.