• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gotham Kid said:

My name's not Bob Crestohl so I'll pass

If I was the owner of that book, I would most definitely want that name removed right off the CGC label because the first thing that comes to mind when I see that name is possible hidden or undisclosed restoration.  :p  doh!

On 2/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, Gotham Kid said:

are ppl bidding on labels now ? I'd have it removed immediately after a win ( by Heritage themselves ) if I didn't like it which I don't

I guess you haven't bother to spend much time in the BA and CA forums then where its said that some buyers are apparently willing to throw in quite a bit of extra dollars for books sporting some of these labels.  :ohnoez:

On 2/14/2023 at 4:24 PM, lou_fine said:

The worst part about this whole slabbed book here is that fugly modernistic gimmicky looking label which really doesn't go with the look for a GA book and should drop the bidding down accordingly by a few notches.  :p

Am I the only one that is looking forward to when they add the solar powered flashing LEDs to the labels?

Edited by batman_fan

On 2/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess bidders are still really hard up to get this book as bidding is still on a solid upwards trajectory at a hammer of $2,300 and still rising:  :wink:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-rifleman-10-dell-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/40226-82379.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Western, The Rifleman #10 (Dell, 1962) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white pages....

Then again, being a Schmell book, I am quite sure it started off in soft limpy condition before Dougie got his hands on it to massage and rub it into the rock hard and upright condition that its in now, all in anticipation of the big payload that it's going to shoot off for him when it reaches its climax at the end.  lol

Dude! NSFW!

On 2/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, batman_fan said:

Surprised this one is back

F056BC55-0F09-466E-A06C-6F67CB04B1A2.jpeg

That was one of the books that went for crazier money. 456k! I’m surprised/not surprised it’s back so soon. No way it hammers for the same money

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 2/16/2023 at 6:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That was one of the books that went for crazier money. I’m surprised/not surprised it’s back so soon. No way it hammers for the same money

I just wonder what the story is with all these Promise books coming back to market.  Did someone win all of them and then not pay?  Did the winner hit a bad financial situation and have to sell knowing they would take a big hit?  Did the winner see a new shiny ball to chase?

On 2/16/2023 at 7:34 AM, batman_fan said:

I just wonder what the story is with all these Promise books coming back to market.  Did someone win all of them and then not pay?  Did the winner hit a bad financial situation and have to sell knowing they would take a big hit?  Did the winner see a new shiny ball to chase?

I’d like to know the story, too. From what I’ve seen so far of this coming Heritage auction, it seems there’s a large number of icon book owners heading for the exits. I can’t imagine that Tec 27 owner selling to fund any other comic pursuits. What’ll it be next time for the iconic book sellers: Hulk 181s all around? 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 2/14/2023 at 5:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, from the lofty heights of the sunny scenic penthouse suite where I never get invited to and where resides the aforementioned books like the above Batman 1's, More Fun 55, 'Tec 27, etc. we now head down to the darkened dungeon which is much more my bailiwick where I tend to hang out with bottom feeders such as these books here:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/miscellaneous/new-comics-2-dc-1936-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-moderate-a-3-off-white-pages/a/122307-13612.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 (DC, 1936) CGC Apparent VG/FN 5.0 Moderate (A-3) Off-white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/the-comics-magazine-2-comics-magazine-1936-condition-vg-/a/122307-13174.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, The Comics Magazine #2 (Comics Magazine, 1936) Condition: VG-....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/star-comics-5-harry-a-chesler-1937-condition-vg-/a/122307-13709.s?type=bidnotice-endofauction

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Star Comics #5 (Harry 'A' Chesler, 1937) Condition: VG-....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/miscellaneous/funny-picture-stories-7-comics-magazine-co-centaur-publications-1937-condition-fn-/a/122307-13391.s?type=bidnotice-endofauction

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, Funny Picture Stories #7 (Comics Magazine Co./ Centaur Publications, 1937) Condition: FN-....

Glad to see that there are finally some cracks of long awaited and loving sunlight shining through into the dungeon for these long ago forgotten books after being kept in the dark for so long.  Definitely going at a much higher price point now (i.e. $1,680; $2,520; $1,680; and $1,920 respectively), even in raw condition as they are now selling for higher than what lower graded certified copies were selling for a few years ago.  :applause:

Looks like a longtime collector must have been selling off part of their mid to late 30's collection as there were several of these very early rare and truly HTF pre-GA books available in this past weekend's Sunday/Monday Auction.  Needless to say, books like these even in low grade don't tend to come along too often as the CGC Population Census Report indicates only single digit copies of these books have been graded and slabbed in Universal condition to date, with almost all of them in low low condition only.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

It was really great seeing these early books come to auction. I was hoping to score Comics Magazine 2 but it went past my comfort point. The New 2 I was bidding on as a spare. First DC Christmas cover, one of the rarest DC books out there and the first Federal Men (S&S’s best work pre-Superman)-I’ve always had a soft spot for this book.

I think that was the most expensive book of them all. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That was one of the books that went for crazier money. 456k! I’m surprised/not surprised it’s back so soon. No way it hammers for the same money

On 2/16/2023 at 8:34 AM, batman_fan said:

Pretty sure it was the most expensive book of them all. That would make sense. Most of this whole promise lot could be from deadbeat bidders, not just one. It would make sense that if that's the case HA wait a year or so to put them up again so it looks like they're being re-sold instead of re-jects.

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 2/16/2023 at 5:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So, are you REALLY really trying to convince us here that it's going to sell for more than $456K, because if so, you are going to have to do a better job than this?  :wink: