• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2023 at 8:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Horror movies I like—the scarier the better. I guess I'm able to put those in a "fantasy" box, so the violence isn't real even when female victims are depicted. I grew up in a household where my mother was abused by her live-in boyfriend, so that's probably where some of my distaste for domestic violence comes from—but not all of it. I've also seen a few too many stories in the news about women being murdered by their husbands.

Much of the bondage is in superhero comics, and you know that the victim is about to be rescued, so that makes it different—at least to me. Like I said, it's an emotional thing, not a logical thing. Violence against animals also bothers me. I don't like covers that show animals being killed.

Wonder Woman was bound in about every other GA issue...her author, was kind of kinky...or very kinky. It was so lame, it was funny after a while...as are most of the GA "bondage" covers.

I agree with @Cat-Man_Americaabout the newer issues. I think of the older covers more as a piece of art.  If you look at the PL 17 cover, the ropes are just kind of draped around her.

I don't read horror stories, but the books that really really upset me, are Romance comics...Most have women depicted in a much worse light than any Fiction house or Fox book. 

It's wonderful that you think of your mom and women who were in abusive relationships...that's kind. 

Edited by skypinkblu

On 3/22/2023 at 5:07 PM, szav said:

They take a huge cut on raw books FYI.  Around 40% total for their take  iirc.  When I consigned slabbed books, I got a fantastic rate, with the sellers fee waived and then some, but was told that raw books were not part of deal and would be subject to a higher than normal sellers fee.

I presume it’s from the additional hassle they incur having to grade/evaluate and deal with returns.

Totally NOT surprised that there would be a much higher rate for raw books which they have to grade in-house using their own graders, as that would involve extra costly work on their part in terms of the need to hire graders.  Definitely a lot more work than simply loading pics of already slabbed books into their auction platform.  (thumbsu

Any idea if this higher auction commission fee would also apply to raw books which they are simply forwarding on behalf of the consignor to CCS and CGC for their pressing and/or grading services?  hm

On 3/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, skypinkblu said:

the books that really really upset me, are Romance comics...Most have women depicted in a much worse light than any Fiction house or Fox book. 

For real. According to the 50s mores, as depicted in the majority of romance comics at the time, there is no higher achievement in the life of a teenage girl than courting, marrying and subjugating oneself to a man, usually one much, much older.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if this higher auction commission fee would also apply to raw books which they are simply forwarding on behalf of the consignor to CCS and CGC for their pressing and/or grading services?  hm

No, it would not, because there you are ultimately submitting graded books.

On 3/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

There is going to be some element of deviancy from accepted norms in every collecting hobby, sport or activity; it's even worse in the political-arena (the third rail we must not discuss). In comics, especially GA comics, we're involved in collecting snapshots of attitudes from another era. Without judging people for what the buy or why they buy it, there is a fascination for war art that includes images that are socially unacceptable by today's standards. It doesn't make a collector deviant for having an interest in history; in fact, it's laudable and deserving of encouragement. George Santayana's quote about those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it is a poignant reminder that we should treasure those snapshots, to be aware of our past ...not to cancel it... and develop a historical perspective that our own flawed humanity need to be constantly vigilant of it. 

This is the long way of saying what we collect are choices that define interests and taste.  We determine the rationales, justifications and parameters (where to draw the line).

Personally, I don't care for stereotypical racial depictions that are used purely as comic relief.  There are a borderline exceptions, but they're rare. This precludes purchasing some comics that would be considered unacceptable given today's sensitivity standards as it impacts my comfort level as well. That said, my collecting interests don't judge other's collecting interests. The line I've chosen to draw is at war propaganda ...yellow peril stereotypes... because these accurately reflect perceived fears of threat and public attitudes.  I don't embrace the views of that era, but am fascinated by history and consider it critically important understand how society has evolved.

Misogyny is another animal altogether. I can find misogyny in the unrealistic stylized depictions of men & women in comics today, even though women are usually depicted as more self-reliant. That's definitely a plus IMO, but hasn't been without trade-offs. Overt over-sexualization of girls and women seems more pronounced in a lot of current comic art. But who am I to judge evolving fantasy content and collector's tastes? Undoubtably much of it would've been too extreme for the GA, but social norms have changed.  Violence and gore are more pronounced today as well, but again, who am I to judge fan tastes?  

I'm pretty much in agreement with Richard on this. We shouldn't be judging folks by what they collect. Yes, there are lines and we choose them and the topic is worthy of discussion, but it doesn't diminish anyone to collect the popular culture of another era. My long-winded, caffein influenced two centavos (can I say centavos without it looking like an ethnic slur?)

:cheers:

Agree and will add that what’s also interesting from a historical perspective is how what was published during the period before Wertham’s book, and the move to censor the comics for “negatively impacting” children is something we have seen (and may be currently seeing) in different mediums like television, film (see Precode v. Code), records (see Heavy Metal), and now there are concerns about TikTok (just mentioning here and taking no position). There are episodes throughout American History demonstrating reactions to mediums and in some cases, resulting in the industries self-censoring their content. Even Major League Baseball took on its own Commissioner to regulate the game after the 1919 World Series “Black-Sox” Scandal.

The comics, like other art forms, can give us insight but it’s also important that we are careful to do our best to accurately interpret these primary sources. Television wasn’t prevalent prior to the 1950s and film was provided a rating system once the movie industry self-regulated. The comics during that period, were an important entertainment medium that was accessible to most Americans and reflected many readers’ views of the times they were published. There are views acceptable then that are unacceptable and even offensive today. The standards back then were different from those we see today. Studying the history gives us some insight into how and why. Learning and knowing more about that period of time is one of the reasons why some of us collect the comics.

Santayana’s point about forgetting history is a difficult challenge to say the least because time has a way of wiping out the past. Collective memory passes with the passing of each generation. There is a certain amount of knowledge passed from generation to generation but like “telephone talk,” the information and stories change over time. There are many of us who lived during a time when there were veterans of WW1 (Billy Parker may have known Spanish-American War Vets?) still alive who shared their personal experiences of the “Great War.” The same holds for the last of the “Greatest Generation.” The 20th Century and its historical lessons grow more distant as we venture further into the 21st Century. Historical memories are slowly disappearing. People who impacted 20th Century history have died or are close to it. What’s left for us now and posterity, is the historical record, and that can only give us so much insight into the past. The warning Santayana  gives for future generations, is that history or what remains of it in the historical record (includes literature, film, art, sport, etc.), be studied and accurately interpreted. This means that future generations must be careful not to see the past entirely through the “filters” of their time. It’s a difficult challenge given that we inject our subjective insight when working on objective projects. The same can be said about seeing through the lens of our “collective generational views.” Still, we can achieve a substantial degree of objectivity when also discussing and debating the issues that arise with others who have a level of understanding and passion for knowing what actually happened and why. It’s not always easy to figure out and will in many cases, require time and work - more than a visit to Wikipedia to survey the subject. The period of time’s composite of moral, cultural, class, racial, ethical, sociological, political, and economic forces that result in history must also be taken into account when looking at and providing interpretation to historical primary documents. The comics were primarily entertainment with exception to the Classic Comics/Illustrated comics that my dad and his friends relied on to read instead of the actual literary works and before Monarch and Cliff Notes. This is important because the interpretation of these cultural historical items must be carefully made, which also means that personal judgements based on current views should not be the “filter” through which to see the past. It’s of course fine to say that one personally disagrees with how things were back when. We have personal opinions and that’s what makes us who we are so long as those opinions don’t lead us to misinterpret our readings and studies of the historical record.  

This is the best way to avoid Santayana’s point.

It’s also the best way to avoid Orwell’s warning that those who control the past, also control the future.

-John

On 3/26/2023 at 6:50 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, lou_fine said:

No, it would not, because there you are ultimately submitting graded books.

Actually, with Heritage seemingly being the apparent top dog in this auction marketplace, I am rather surprised they don't charge for this service.  :whatthe:

Besides having to do all of the tedious paperwork on behalf of the consignor, they also have to shepard the books through the whole screening for pressing and restoration review processes even before the books are finally submitted for grading.  A ton of additional work when compared to already graded and slabbed books, especially if they have to contact the consignor for further instructions along the way.  hm  (shrug)

Then again, I imagine they have to keep up with the competition since both CC and CL also doesn't charge extra for this additional submission services on behalf of their consignors.  (thumbsu

I made a tepid run at the 6.5 Ibis #4 tonight but bowed out. It's a tougher book than the others in the run, but my interest was lukewarm. It sold for the same price that the Promise 4.0 copy sold for. It was actually the highest-graded copy; I think the cover stock on that issue was crummy.

ibis.JPG

On 3/27/2023 at 8:00 AM, lou_fine said:

Actually, with Heritage seemingly being the apparent top dog in this auction marketplace, I am rather surprised they don't charge for this service.  :whatthe:

Besides having to do all of the tedious paperwork on behalf of the consignor, they also have to shepard the books through the whole screening for pressing and restoration review processes even before the books are finally submitted for grading.  A ton of additional work when compared to already graded and slabbed books, especially if they have to contact the consignor for further instructions along the way.  hm  (shrug)

Then again, I imagine they have to keep up with the competition since both CC and CL also doesn't charge extra for this additional submission services on behalf of their consignors.  (thumbsu

Don't worry, for a whale like you, they will do whatever it takes to get your consignment.

On 3/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, lou_fine said:

They do charge, that's part of the consignment fee.  

On 3/26/2023 at 9:25 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I made a tepid run at the 6.5 Ibis #4 tonight but bowed out. It's a tougher book than the others in the run, but my interest was lukewarm. It sold for the same price that the Promise 4.0 copy sold for. It was actually the highest-graded copy; I think the cover stock on that issue was crummy.

ibis.JPG

You went for that even though he's practically groping that woman on the cover? gross.

On 3/26/2023 at 8:04 PM, buttock said:

They do charge, that's part of the consignment fee.  

Just thought that would have been on top of the 10% standard auction consignment fee for CC and CL, but apparently no additional charge for raw books to be submitted to either CGC or CBCS on your behalf.  (thumbsu

As for Heritage, I guess it gets a little bit grey because it sounds like it's really much more dependent upon the quality and dollar value of your consignment.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2023 at 10:16 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/27/2023 at 10:10 AM, tth2 said:

Don't worry, for a whale like you, they will do whatever it takes to get your consignment.

Time for you to check your online dictionary as I believe you've got whale mixed up with guppies.  :gossip:  lol

The speed at which one denies that they are a whale tends to correlate with the size of the whale that they actually are. :gossip:

On 3/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/26/2023 at 7:10 PM, tth2 said:

Time for you to check your online dictionary as I believe you've got whale mixed up with guppies.  :gossip:  lol

On 3/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, tth2 said:

The speed at which one denies that they are a whale tends to correlate with the size of the whale that they actually are. :gossip:

I really do need to send you a link for an online dictionary as you've now got "correlate" mixed up with "inverse relationship".  :gossip:  lol