• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

492 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2022 at 5:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess we got our answer to my question here as @GreatCaesarsGhost's CGC 2.5 graded copy of Bat 1 managed to hit $270K or some $40K more than what CL's CGC 3.0 graded copy managed to fetched a couple of weeks ago.  :applause:

Not sure if the fact that Clark's copy was the scarcer "no dot" variant version accounted for the difference in price, but I am sure it probably did to some extent even though it's pretty much impossible to figure to exactly what extent it did.  hm  (shrug)

Yes, it’s impossible to know.  I’m not sure the collecting world out there is even aware of the difference. Heck I didn’t know it myself when I bought the book. When it got talked about here on the Boards, I called @Filter81 and asked about it. He said in his experience, the “dot”issues outnumbered the “no dot” issues 10 to 1. 

But as I also recall, the Clink 3.0 had some eye appeal issues. 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, it’s impossible to know.  I’m not sure the collecting world out there is even aware of the difference. Heck I didn’t know it myself when I bought the book. When it got talked about here on the Boards, I called @Filter81 and asked about it. He said in his experience, the “dot”issues outnumbered the “no dot” issues 10 to 1. 

But as I also recall, the Clink 3.0 had some eye appeal issues. 

Glad my slight restored is a no dot version then 😃

From a lot of the talks and debate regarding the dot vs no dot Bat 1, the conclusion I remembered about it was that there was really no major price difference between the two.  But, it is true that the no dot version is the rarer copy to come by.  

On 3/17/2022 at 6:32 PM, Dark Knight said:

From a lot of the talks and debate regarding the dot vs no dot Bat 1, the conclusion I remembered about it was that there was really no major price difference between the two.  But, it is true that the no dot version is the rarer copy to come by.  

There was also a frank exchange of views here on the boards regarding the significance of “no dot”. Someone argued very articulately that the “no dot” version was the first printing, and the “dot” version was the second printing. But the records and proof have been lost in the mists of time, and is unknowable 

On 3/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, Dark Knight said:

Not sure if this same sentiment would apply in today's marketplace where books are just so expensive that buyers are looking for just that one more reason why they should be willing to mannup by opening their wallets a bit more wider to acquire a book.  hm  (shrug)

Especially when you look at the huge price differences being paid nowadays for Direct copies versus Newsstand copies when for decades it was stated that there were no differences in prices being paid.  hm

On 3/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There was also a frank exchange of views here on the boards regarding the significance of “no dot”. Someone argued very articulately that the “no dot” version was the first printing, and the “dot” version was the second printing. But the records and proof have been lost in the mists of time, and is unknowable 

That is correct as well.  It is definitely apples to oranges when comparing the Bat 1 dot vs no dot to a Marvel 1 Oct vs Nov copy.  The Oct copy is for sure the 1st print and more valuable.  I think we can all agree on that.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:17 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, Dark Knight said:

Not sure if this same sentiment would apply in today's marketplace where books are just so expensive that buyers are looking for just that one more reason why they should be willing to mannup by opening their wallets a bit more wider to acquire a book.  hm  (shrug)

Especially when you look at the huge price differences being paid nowadays for Direct copies versus Newsstand copies when for decades it was stated that there were no differences in prices being paid.  hm

Perhaps..  We are in a very unique situation right now. Things can definitely change.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, woowoo said:

I been doing this for 47 years and now I feel like a newbie :preach: the prices are now = to buying a house and at my age I am out :whatthe:

Yeah some of these books that sold can definitely buy you a pretty decent house depending on what state you want to live at.  Speaking of the housing market, it might be in a bubble right now.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Logic pretty well dictates that the "no dot" version had to come first.  All of DC's covers have a "No." with a dot because it was an abbreviation of "number", and the Batman 1 is the only one I can recall seeing that didn't do that on all issues.  Cleary, it was noticed early in the print run that it looked like it "No 1" as in "no one" rather than "No. 1" as in number one.  So they corrected it before too many were printed with that error.  If there is any logical explanation why it would have happened any other way, I haven't heard one.  

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 3/19/2022 at 1:33 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Logic pretty well dictates that the "no dot" version had to come first.  All of DC's covers have a "No." with a dot because it was an abbreviation of "number", and the Batman 1 is the only one I can recall seeing that didn't do that on all issues.  Cleary, it was noticed early in the print run that it looked like it "No 1" as in "no one" rather than "No. 1" as in number one.  So they corrected it before too many were printed with that error.  If there is any logical explanation why it would have happened any other way, I haven't heard one.  

Yes I remember your thoughts 3 years ago, and I agree that’s what makes the most sense