• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

492 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if they are done with their posting, it looks like they now have a total of 47 pages in total or close to 2,350 books in total.

I guess another highlight would be this copy of Startling Comics #49:

RADD84C0201981_115537.jpg

Doubt it'll be able to hit six figures like the Church copy did back in 2016. 

Might stand a chance of hitting the $64K mark though which another CGC 9.6 graded copy was able to fetch last year during one of the CC auctions.  hm

Although having a total of 4 copies in this current highest graded CGC 9.6 condition level might make it a bit tougher to do. (shrug)

I’m interested to see how the PQ holds this one down or if it does.

If you’re gonna pay through the nose for a tied for highest grade book that looks like there was a warehouse or file copy find for, cr/ow may be a turn off?

Dunno really if buyers in this stratosphere are more or less concerned with PQ than typical GA collectors ... As I said I’m interested to see.

56 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

This one looks like it has Bedrock written all over it

SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED!

RAD53B2C2019729_171214.jpg

Maybe the single highest grade will make the difference, but I have never felt this book got the respect it deserved. If All Star 3 and Avengers 1 is so all that, why not this book?

as a worthless trivia side note, this book was once thought to be rare. Today CGC census numbers show a different story

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

52 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED!

Maybe the single highest grade will make the difference, but I have never felt this book got the respect it deserved. If All Star 3 and Avengers 1 is so all that, why not this book?

as a worthless trivia side note, this book was once thought to be rare. Today CGC census numbers show a different story

Edited 46 minutes ago by GreatCaesarsGhost

I used to own this book. I sold it through Heritage in 2005 as part of my divorce settlement. I originally got it in trade in 1989 from a dealer from Colorado named Dennis Grimm. A super nice guy. I traded a really minty fresh Silver Surfer 1 for it. A very even trade then. It would still be close today, depending on whether the Surfer graded 9.6 or higher.

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED!

Yes, Overstreet should probably really removed that "Scarce" notation that he has for both All Winners 19 & 21.  Especially since they can't truly be as scarce with unrestored census population counts of 55 and 59 copies respectively, and even more so when compared with many other in-demand GA books still with only single digit census counts.  

In terms of single highest copy graded, anybody here have an idea as to the possible condition of the Church copy, especially since Chuck had it listed as a NM+ copy in his original Mile High Catalog.  hm

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially since they can't truly be as scarce with unrestored census population counts of 55 and 59 copies respectively, and even more so when compared with many other in-demand GA books still with only single digit census counts.  

Quite honestly a book with only 55 surviving Universal copies is a scarce book in my opinion. 3 digits, maybe not so scarce. A book with single digit counts I would consider rare.

Edited by Gotham Kid

34 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Quite honestly a book with only 55 surviving Universal copies is a scarce book in my opinion. 3 digits, maybe not so scarce. A book with single digit counts I would consider rare.

Just thinking more from the point of view of all of the raw copies that must still be sitting out there in private collections.

After all, most of these GA books are held much more in the hands of the longer term collectors and these are the types of collectors who most probably wouldn't  even think of having their books graded and slabbed until it was time for them to sell it.  hm

59 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s interesting, the SS 1 equivalencies. 

As for the other, we should take a poll on the involuntary movement of comics due to divorce. Count me in that club. It’s like tornadoes and lost trailers; the two go hand in hand

I've told my better half not to even entertain the possibility if things with us went south.  I'd sooner burn them in the front yard. (Or at least pretend to.)  :gossip:

22 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I used to own this book. I sold it through Heritage in 2005 as part of my divorce settlement. I originally got it in trade in 1989 from a dealer from Colorado named Dennis Grimm. A super nice guy. I traded a really minty fresh Silver Surfer 1 for it. A very even trade then. It would still be close today, depending on whether the Surfer graded 9.6 or higher.

I think Dennis is still around.  I saw him post something on eBay a couple of years back.  Shut his shop down a while ago and moved out of state, but appeared to be back.  He always had such amazing books, not the least of which were the Auroras. 

On 8/3/2019 at 3:02 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

There are a few real rarites in this auction that hardly ever come to market. That’s the stuff I gravitate towards and I am rather impressed with quite a few of the books this auction has to offer honestly.  

Hope we aren’t going head to head on a couple. 😬

1 hour ago, bluechip said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Makes me wonder how much of a factor or downgrade was given to the book as a result of the 5 punch holes?  hm

If the punch holes remove color touch then it may well have been a PLOD 2.5.

Yes, doesn't make much sense that CGC seems to generally downgrade a book when it has restoration, even though the actual work is supposed to improve the condition of the book.  (shrug)

I guess that's why we often see restored books that seems to present much nicer from a strict visual point of view relative to their assigned grade, as opposed to unrestored books that can often present not as nice relative to their assigned grade.  As if the PLOD isn't enough to hurt the value of the book, they seemingly want to make sure by also hitting it on the grade.  Then again, maybe when you have the actual book in hand, it might not feel natural with the work and that's possibly the reason for the downgrade.  So, who really knows in the end?  hm