• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

492 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, lpsunburst said:

Quick flip or ? didnt that copy sell just a few months ago?

March of this year for $31.5K according to GPA.  The serial numbers match but not sure which venue.  Maybe search failure on my part but I couldn't find it on HA, Hakes, Pedigree since they are captured by GPA.  Ebay, maybe?

4 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:
8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

it is kinda lame-o

Batman and Robin seem to be enjoying their cosplay, er, crime-fighting.

Yes indeed, I am actually surprised it got past the editors as it looks like Robin's already assuming his usual position for Batman.  :whatthe:  lol

3 hours ago, telerites said:
On 8/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, lpsunburst said:

Quick flip or ? didnt that copy sell just a few months ago?

March of this year for $31.5K according to GPA.  The serial numbers match but not sure which venue. 

Here's hoping the flipper loses money on it. :wishluck:

16 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Excited to see a new member of the 100,000 club with the AA 16 hammer 🔨 

I doubt the book has appreciated much when you factor in inflation. 

Inflation will produce more members of the $100,000 club over time, of course.

This book might get there, but then again it might not. Unlike books on HA and CConnect, books on CLink sometimes peak early due the lack of extended bidding.

57 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I doubt the book has appreciated much when you factor in inflation. 

Inflation will produce more members of the $100,000 club over time, of course.

This book might get there, but then again it might not. Unlike books on HA and CConnect, books on CLink sometimes peak early due the lack of extended bidding.

The last 6.5 AA16 exceeded 215k on Heritage last February. 

Edited by Northwest

21 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Excited to see a new member of the 100,000 club with the AA 16 hammer 🔨 

3 hours ago, Northwest said:

The last 6.5 AA16 exceeded 215k on Heritage last February. 

Well, since another AA 16 has already entered the $100K Club before, I believe the first true new entry will be making its debut soon in the CC Auction:

pha1.215a.jpg

I am actually surprised it's taken this long for a copy to finally surfaced in NM condition.  Especially since it's been acknowledged by everybody in the hobby as one of the all-time classic GGA covers right from the get go.  Looks like a lot of collectors have been trying to reach this grading pinnacle since the CGC census indicates almost 100 copies have passed through their grader's hands to date, with only this sole single copy being able to acheive this ever elusive CGC 9.4 NM designation.  :whatthe:  :cloud9:

Makes me wonder if there is a Church copy of this book being held in tightly in some lucky collector's private collection to this day.  Especially since Chuck's Mile High catalogue didn't have any of the Phanton lady books in there, but that's probably because Burrell might have pulled them all out from the get go as part of his compensation for loaning Chuck the $2K to purchase the entire Church collection in the first place.  After all, didn't Heritage have a Church copy of PL 16 which they auctioned off a few years ago hm  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

didn't Heritage have a Church copy of PL 16 which they auctioned off a few years ago hm

The Church #15, a CGC 9.6, sold on CC a few years ago too.  Does make one wonder where the rest are.

This current #17 looks like it may be on its way to the 150k club.

1 hour ago, szav said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

didn't Heritage have a Church copy of PL 16 which they auctioned off a few years ago hm

The Church #15, a CGC 9.6, sold on CC a few years ago too.  Does make one wonder where the rest are.

This current #17 looks like it may be on its way to the 150k club.

I would definitely tend to agree with you on your estimate here.  (thumbsu  

It definitely looks like another case whereby the Church copy of a long time acknowledged classic cover is virtually locked up in a private collection with the key thrown away. hm

Similar in vein to the Church Suspense 3 which nobody thought even existed until it all of a sudden made its appearance out of nowhere.  :whatthe:

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would definitely tend to agree with you on your estimate here.  (thumbsu  

It definitely looks like another case whereby the Church copy of a long time acknowledged classic cover is virtually locked up in a private collection with the key thrown away. hm

Similar in vein to the Church Suspense 3 which nobody thought even existed until it all of a sudden made its appearance out of nowhere.  :whatthe:

Some Church copies may be orphaned—especially issues that don't have the C or D coding. Other Church books were ruined when the basement of Greg Manning Auctions was flooded circa 2000. Still more are probably in private collections of guys in their 50s and 60s; those collections may not be sold for decades.

Regardless of what GA book you're talking about, there are probably ten to one hundred raw copies out there for every copy that's in the census. Many, many collections were built up prior to slabbing and remain mostly intact. (Heck, dealers are still finding original owner GA collections!)

Well, looks like we only have another couple of hours before the final bell rings on the CL auction lots for Day 1.  :taptaptap:

All I can say is that it is definitely not as much no fun to watch as compared to the CC auctions with their extended 3-minute bidding auction format.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Northwest said:

Looks like aa16 6.5 hammered at 165k, about 50k below the last sale at that grade. Perhaps timing or other factors?

Personally, if I was the consignor of a 6-figure GA key book, let's just say that CL would not be my first choice or even my second choice for that matter in terms of the auction venue I would choose.  hm

Now, if it was a more recent lower dollar value BA or CA key book, then that would be a completely different story as CL would probably be my go to venue in that particular case.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Looks like aa16 6.5 hammered at 165k, about 50k below the last sale at that grade. Perhaps timing or other factors?

Wow. I’m shocked. It just may be the lack of a current media incarnation. Plus I’ve never thought of GL as a top tier character. And of course I think Lou_fine has it right, too

Bad timing, bad luck, whatever the reason it certainly doesn't look good for CLink.  On the other hand...the consignor of this book must be planning a big party already...

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtomb%2Bof%2Bdracula%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1099710&id=1099710&itemType=0

Edited by szav

Maybe just the hi and lo of FMV range. We note these variances with big books, but if a comic in a given grade sells for $2150 and than another for $1650, we tend not to notice much.

1 minute ago, szav said:

Bad timing, bad luck, whatever the reason it certainly doesn't look good for CLink.  On the other hand...the owner of this book must be planning a big party already...

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtomb%2Bof%2Bdracula%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1099710&id=1099710&itemType=0

Mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Maybe just the hi and lo of FMV range. We note these variances with big books, but if a comic in a given grade sells for $2150 and than another for $1650, we tend not to notice much.

Fair point. Perhaps with a thin upper echelon of buyers at that level, the "offline" reach certain venues have may be a factor akin to art auctions?

13 minutes ago, rjpb said:
15 minutes ago, szav said:

Bad timing, bad luck, whatever the reason it certainly doesn't look good for CLink.  On the other hand...the owner of this book must be planning a big party already...

Mind boggling.

I knew that Boston Corbett was still alive and kicking out there and this absolutely proves it.  lol  :hi:

This kind of reminds me of the NOT highest graded copy of MSH 13 going for $31,111, the FF 52 going for something like $90K, the then but no longer sole highest graded copy of Iron Man 30 going for $15,000.  :screwy:

Wonder how the buyer will feel about his purchase by the time the Blade movie comes out.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine