• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wachowskis' THE MATRIX 4 starring Keanu Reeves (5/21/21)
4 4

462 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

But you didn't even know part of Neo's backstory is he has been reborn 6 times (now it will be 7). And with that his awareness and influences change.

Not that you need to appreciate these movies. That's okay too. But part of your mindset toward the film is you are not even aware of how the trilogy played out.

A movie is either good or its not.  You cant watch a dud then watch the previous movies and suddenly the dud isnt a dud anymore.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, kav said:

A movie is either good or its not.  You cant watch a dud then watch the previous movies and suddenly the dud isnt a dud anymore.

Uh-huh. So you didn't even bother to look at those very short videos that would have helped clarify what could be taking place. Did you?

You just wanted to repeat 'dud' without realizing the franchise lore?

I feel like we're at an impasse.  I keep saying one thing and you keep saying another.  Can we table this until the movie comes out?

On 9/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, kav said:

I feel like we're at an impasse.  I keep saying one thing and you keep saying another.  Can we table this until the movie comes out?

Odd. Because I feel like I present facts and you respond with a lack of such facts concerning the trilogy.

But let's wait on the movie. That we are agreed on.

:tink:

On 9/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, The Brain said:

That is a heck of an interesting list. Especially with movies that have become classics.

Scott Pilgrim is so funny and entertaining. And one heck of a fantastic soundtrack.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Odd. Because I feel like I present facts and you respond with a lack of such facts concerning the trilogy.

Yes thats what an impasse is.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:59 PM, The Brain said:

This is a completely seperate argument.

The argument "Some movies are later appreciated as masterpieces after bombing at the box office therefore all duds are really good movies" is a non-starter.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, kav said:

Ok where on that list is Matrix 2 and 3 then?

May have not read your own post

On 9/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, kav said:

:baiting:

:tink:

Also which previous movies were watched that made the films on that list suddenly good as I posited in my thesis?

On 9/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, kav said:

Also which previous movies were watched that made the films on that list suddenly good as I posited in my thesis?

The Shawshank Redemption and other Stephen King works all link together to tell a haunted story of Maine. 

All the major links in Stephen King's shared movie universe

With the Grindhouse movie, part of its charm was how it used references from multiple movies so as to convey it had ties to these films. Even one critic noted this in his review. Which is in that article, by the way.

"The whole thing runs a bit over three hours, goes by swiftly, contains countless film references and includes hilarious fake trailers," wrote Joe Morgenstern of The Wall Street Journal.

Can we get back to discussing 100 (+) year old Neo now?

:baiting:

Looking back at what happened, Neo chose the 6th iteration differently, and went to the source rather than back to the matrix. He created a truce so humans and machines could continue to exist rather than rebooting the matrix. The architect promised to the oracle and Neo that they would all be freed, and she was leery of him lying, to which he replied, something like how could I lie, I am a machine.

So in the trailer, we can see Trinity is still trapped in the matrix and not freed. Time has elapsed unlike the other 5 iterations. So it makes sense Trinity is older and Neo is older; he went back on the truce to free her, because the architect re-negged. The glitch and unbalanced equation still exist, and perhaps Neo needs to restore his own memory to pursue his goal of freeing Trinity and the others.

Prior iterations had Neo, Trinity, and others completely reset to same age and all. This iteration was different, and continued the program rather than rebooting. Age and time are different here.

2c

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, valiantman said:

I have a somewhat naive view of rich artists/creators/writers because I logically know they don't have to make another dollar to be "set for life", so it makes me want to believe that they don't bother doing things that aren't worth their time.

In reality, we know there are some very rich people who will churn out any drivel/derivative work (or have it ghost written/created for them) and stick their name on it knowing it will make more money, but that seems to be a statement on personal greed rather than a statement on "artist needing to create".  Besides the need to create, "starving artists" also have a financial need, and those financial needs may be desperate.  Some part of that changes after they reach success.  Tom Hanks is a good example.  He needed to work, so he put on a dress and co-starred in a sit-com called Bosom Buddies.  By the time he became Tom Hanks, Oscar winner, he didn't have to work again.  What does he work on now?  Projects he actually believes in.  He doesn't just put out Forrest Gump 2: The Gumpening, he makes things that matter to him.  Clint Eastwood and Jim Carrey seem to be the same way.  It doesn't seem to be about money anymore for them, so what they do next is interesting in a different way.

The Wachowskis don't need to do anything else, but Lana is doing this.  I want to believe it's because she believes it's worth her time and she has something to create out of passion, since we can be reasonably sure it's not out of need.

Artistic Integrity?

That's a case by case basis in my field. 

One does not equal another. I do agree with what you are saying how there can be some consistency among the well-to-do and the need to get paid, absolutely. 

But it is also interesting to see how people change as they go.

Ben Affleck, creator of Good Will Hunting, The Town, Argo, Gone Girl... these are GOOD movies. If anyone knows a good -script, it's Ben Affleck.

Yet, agrees to do BVS... Triple Frontier... Runner Runner... these are objectively badly written movies. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:39 PM, The Brain said:

This is YOUR option, I do not agree with it.

Can you tell me a movie you thought was a dud then watched a previous film in the series and decided it was great then?