• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wachowskis' THE MATRIX 4 starring Keanu Reeves (5/21/21)
4 4

462 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2022 at 10:06 PM, William-James88 said:

There was that whole Shwarma bit

no one was being attacked there tho.

I submit that if some maniac was slicing a bus apart with a laser sword people would be terrified.

Not to mention a bus that was careening wildly out of control and nearly crashing every 2 seconds.  I've been in a car that nearly crashed-passengers were terrified and shaken up for quite a while.  No one cracked jokes.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, valiantman said:

@theCapraAegagrus version of cooking:

I tried cooking a steak and turned off the grill after 5 minutes.  The steak was raw and cold. 

0/5. Would never recommend steak for anyone, ever.

Just pour a glass of water on that steak, it will make it so much better

Sloppy steaks for the win!

On 1/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, kav said:

I didnt see any wisecracks in like the first avengers movie when the crowd was being attacked by chitauri-or in any of the spider man movies etc-only seems to happen in the bad ones.

No wisecracks in The Avengers? I don’t remember, its been a decade. 

On 1/4/2022 at 11:11 PM, mattn792 said:

I’ve had Asparagus on ignore for about two years and am still renting space in his head.  Go me :banana:

Did you and those 12 people who listen to your movie reviews tank Resurrerection’s box office yet?

Yeah, you ignored me over a joke. Cool story.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, valiantman said:

You're the perfect example of why 0/5 or 1-out-of-10 reviewers should always be completely ignored - as in literally dropped - from any reviewer average calculations.

5 minutes. Yep. You're someone that others should consult. lol

@theCapraAegagrus version of cooking:

I tried cooking a steak and turned off the grill after 5 minutes.  The steak was raw and cold. 

0/5. Would never recommend steak for anyone, ever.

I actually have this theory as well. 

Watching something is a privilege, as in:

It’s a privilege for someone to make something good enough for me to watch. 

I actively will turn off something that I deem not worth my time, and strongly believe in this theory. 

I believe wholeheartedly in Capra’s approach and feel strongly that people who watch things in order to get through them are zombies. 

If Capra failed to be engaged, 0/5 is appropriate 

People that do not turn off shows/movies that they do not truthfully, thoroughly, enjoy, clearly have nothing better to do with themselves and do not value their own time, therefore, do not deserve a value of their rating as well. 

That is my comment against those attacking Capra devaluing their rating score. 

See, anyone can attack anyone. People here should have more respect. 

I will say that if the movie was original I would likely finish it to see if it's only the first 5 minutes that are a waste of time; Kind of how I would likely give a TV series' pilot my time to see if the rest is worth watching. The same goes for runs of comics. The first 5 minutes is not the full narrative, and neither is the pilot of a show, or a first issue.

I know a handful of people who watched Breaking Bad's pilot and did not continue, despite it being one of the 5 best TV shows that I have ever seen. I do not discredit their perception. What does not help this movie is that after I shared my quick "0/5" review (after telling them that it's on HBO Max), every single person that I know responded that they either agreed or that it's the same thing they heard from others.

After the 5 minutes that I watched, I was either going to turn it off or tune it out. Either way, it was not going to earn anything more than I have given it, because the first 5 minutes were truly that awful. If you cannot understand that, I cannot make it any more clear or simple than that.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I gave Endgame a 98/100 when it released because it captivated my attention for the entire 3 hours. In retrospect, it's truly not that great of a movie, but I will leave it on the TV anytime it's playing; It earns that attention despite not being too strong a story in the end.

rantrant

Didn't you watch Endgame like 700 times?  

Also, I read your name as Capra Asparagus as well.   Sounds like a side dish at a fancy restaurant.  Perhaps named after the famous director.   

On 1/5/2022 at 9:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I gave Endgame a 98/100 when it released because it captivated my attention for the entire 3 hours. In retrospect, it's truly not that great of a movie, but I will leave it on the TV anytime it's playing; It earns that attention despite not being too strong a story in the end.

What would you give Endgame now? I personally prefer Infinity War.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:07 AM, chrisco37 said:

Didn't you watch Endgame like 700 times?  

Also, I read your name as Capra Asparagus as well.   Sounds like a side dish at a fancy restaurant.  Perhaps named after the famous director.   

6 times in theaters. :D

That's how pretty much everyone reads my username. lol

On 1/5/2022 at 10:14 AM, William-James88 said:

What would you give Endgame now? I personally prefer Infinity War.

Good question. Probably somewhere around 85-90 on a 100-point scale. It's boring at points, and some of the attempted 'humor' is annoying. The once-in-a-lifetime theatrical event will always be memorable.

I would agree that Infinity War is peak MCU. That one will stand the test of time.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Good question. Probably somewhere around 85-90 on a 100-point scale. It's boring at points, and some of the attempted 'humor' is annoying. The once-in-a-lifetime theatrical event will always be memorable.

I would agree that Infinity War is peak MCU. That one will stand the test of time.

On a story note, I just think it's too bad that they glossed through a major Hulk/Banner storyline. Could have made for the best Hulk film (like a live action version of that Hulk/Dr Strange animated film with Nightmare), but it's just brushed off here and we move on. And we never get the Hulk/Thanos rematch. Also I feel they made the time travel element overly complicated with the writers and directors both giving different interpretations in interviews. And not just mechanics, but story elements too. Like both have different answers for who Sharon Carter is married to in the 70s when Cap and Iron Man go on their little time travel adventure. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:38 AM, William-James88 said:

On a story note, I just think it's too bad that they glossed through a major Hulk/Banner storyline. Could have made for the best Hulk film (like a live action version of that Hulk/Dr Strange animated film with Nightmare), but it's just brushed off here and we move on. And we never get the Hulk/Thanos rematch. Also I feel they made the time travel element overly complicated with the writers and directors both giving different interpretations in interviews. And not just mechanics, but story elements too. Like both have different answers for who Sharon Carter is married to in the 70s when Cap and Iron Man go on their little time travel adventure. 

I actually typed this out, but deleted it because I didn't want to get too long-winded since it's not an MCU thread. I was disappointed by this aspect and the fact that they used exposition for Professor Hulk's transformation.

The Writers vs Directors thing has always bothered me, too, because the Russo's explanation makes 'logical' sense in the story that was told. To me, it seems like the writers wanted to explain that Steve always had a 'happy ending' in the same universe, maybe wanting to bookend Phase 3 by claiming that the multiverse had not been opened yet. If we ignore any fan-fic explanation and go strictly by the movie, it's not possible for 2 Steve Rogers to exist in the 199999 universe (the one we witnessed from Iron Man thru Far From Home).

I know that there are many people (including Kav, I think) that despise time travel stories because of how silly and convoluted it can be, but I thought that the in-movie explanation was actually done very well. You can't change what has existed and been perceived; Only create a new branch reality that begins where you changed history. The Loki show also corroborates Endgame's pseudoscience.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, ▫️ said:

No wisecracks in The Avengers? I don’t remember, its been a decade. 

Youre not listening-wisecracks by citizens while under attack from super powered enemies-NO.  In shang chi-YES.
Watch the crowd under attack by chitauri in avengers and cap comes to rescue-you see the crowd makin wisecracks?

On 1/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, kav said:

Youre not listening-wisecracks by citizens while under attack from super powered enemies-NO.  In shang chi-YES.
Watch the crowd under attack by chitauri in avengers and cap comes to rescue-you see the crowd makin wisecracks?

That’s why I said I don’t remember, its been a decade. And I don’t care where the wisecracks come from, crowd or the Avengers, people are dying, the world is ending, no one should be cracking wise!

On 1/5/2022 at 12:39 PM, ▫️ said:

That’s why I said I don’t remember, its been a decade. And I don’t care where the wisecracks come from, crowd or the Avengers, people are dying, the world is ending, no one should be cracking wise!

But... doesn't the formula for success state that there must be some humorous beat at that exact moment? :facepalm: