• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mall Variants of Adventures of Superman 443 - was there ever a DC issue with more variants prior to New 52?
6 6

135 posts in this topic

Another year has gone by without another new discovery of one of the rare Adv of SM 443 mall variants.  They are usually found with a 1 or 2 dollar price tag and once they are listed on ebay, they will almost assuredly get bought for more than $100.   It makes me wonder if very many people are keeping an eye out for these.

1 hour ago, kenaran said:

That's pretty high grade as these go!  Congrats!!!

Thank you . I thought so as well. I was pleasantly surprised not only to find this one , but as you said it is in pretty good condition.  

On 1/26/2020 at 3:36 AM, Buzzetta said:

Never knew about any of these.  I wonder how many of these are sitting in dealer inventories unnoticed...

I wonder how many of these are sitting in MyComicShop‘s inventory unnoticed.

I have been looking for these for about 10 years now, and they are indeed rare.  @mycomicshop recognizes the value of these, and when they sell a mall variant it almost always goes for more than $100.  I would say that even if MyComicShop had 100 Adv of Superman 443's in stock, they would be lucky if one of them was the mall variant. These are sitting around in dealer inventories unnoticed.   That's how most of my copies were found.  But if you start going from dealer to dealer to check for them, you will talk to a lot of dealers before you find one.  Very few of these mall variants have survived.

p.s.   @onlyweaknesskryptonite sold his Georgetown copy to me, so I now have a spare one.  I was thinking about selling it on ebay, but have decided against that.  Instead I am going to keep it in hopes that if someone finds another one I don't have, I can use my copy (plus some cash) to convince the owner to trade their newly found mall variant for mine.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@onlyweaknesskryptonite

Thank you, and so, the story continues!

Amazing there were still unknowns!

Adamantium you are welcome.  I too was surprised to find this one as well . I have actually been to this mall many times and didn't know it was one of the Homarts. Never even crossed my mind that some these may have been made/ distributed there until I came across it. 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Adamantium you are welcome.  I too was surprised to find this one as well . I have actually been to this mall many times and didn't know it was one of the Homarts. Never even crossed my mind that some these may have been made/ distributed there until I came across it. 

Great find!   So now we have a total of 15 of these mall variants (namely, Florence Mall, Montclair Plaza, Georgetown Park, Eden Prairie Center, Clearview Mall, Cranberry Mall, Willowbrook Mall, Washington Park Mall, Town East Mall, Spring Hill Mall, Rhode Island Mall, North Shore Square, Westgate Mall, Fiesta Mall, and the Parks at Arlington.

I am sure there will be many more that will be found.   Following is a listing of Homart malls (that existed in 1988) for which we have yet to see a mall variant (I pulled this from the Homart wiki article):

Valley View Center Dallas Texas   1973
Metrocenter Phoenix Arizona Joint venture with Westcor[35] 1973
Altamonte Mall Altamonte Springs Florida Jointly developed with Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation[36][37] 1974
Maplewood Mall Maplewood (Minneapolis–Saint Paul area) Minnesota   1974[38]
Independence Center Independence (Kansas City area) Missouri   1974
Westminster Mall Westminster (Orange County) California   1974[39]
Brea Mall Brea (Orange County) California   1975[40]
Northbrook Court Northbrook (Chicago metropolitan area) Illinois   1976
Orland Square Mall Orland Park (Chicago metropolitan area) Illinois   1976

Woodland Hills Mall Tulsa Oklahoma Expansion completed by Homart in 1982 1976
Lakeside Mall Sterling Heights Michigan Joint venture with Alfred Taubman 1976
Burnsville Center Burnsville (Minneapolis–Saint Paul area) Minnesota   1977[38]
Louis Joliet Mall Joliet Illinois Renamed in mid 2000s as Westfield Louis Joliet 1977
Twelve Oaks Mall Novi Michigan Joint venture with A. Alfred Taubman and Dayton-Hudson Corporation 1977
Westfield Broward Plantation (Miami Metropolitan Area) Florida Acquired by Westfield Group in 2007 and renamed Westfield Broward 1978
Baybrook Mall Friendswood (Greater Houston) Texas   1978

Town Center Mall Boca Raton (Miami Metropolitan Area) Florida Also known as Town Center at Boca Raton 1980

Greenbrier Mall Chesapeake Virginia   1981
Deerbrook Mall Humble (Greater Houston) Texas   1984

Tysons Galleria Tysons Corner (Washington Metropolitan Area) Virginia Jointly developed with Lerner Enterprises 1988
Lakeland Square Mall Lakeland Florida Jointly developed with Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation[43] 1988

16 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Great find!   So now we have a total of 15 of these mall variants (namely, Florence Mall, Montclair Plaza, Georgetown Park, Eden Prairie Center, Clearview Mall, Cranberry Mall, Willowbrook Mall, Washington Park Mall, Town East Mall, Spring Hill Mall, Rhode Island Mall, North Shore Square, Westgate Mall, Fiesta Mall, and the Parks at Arlington.

I am sure there will be many more that will be found.   Following is a listing of Homart malls (that existed in 1988) for which we have yet to see a mall variant (I pulled this from the Homart wiki article):

Valley View Center Dallas Texas   1973
Metrocenter Phoenix Arizona Joint venture with Westcor[35] 1973
Altamonte Mall Altamonte Springs Florida Jointly developed with Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation[36][37] 1974
Maplewood Mall Maplewood (Minneapolis–Saint Paul area) Minnesota   1974[38]
Independence Center Independence (Kansas City area) Missouri   1974
Westminster Mall Westminster (Orange County) California   1974[39]
Brea Mall Brea (Orange County) California   1975[40]
Northbrook Court Northbrook (Chicago metropolitan area) Illinois   1976
Orland Square Mall Orland Park (Chicago metropolitan area) Illinois   1976

Woodland Hills Mall Tulsa Oklahoma Expansion completed by Homart in 1982 1976
Lakeside Mall Sterling Heights Michigan Joint venture with Alfred Taubman 1976
Burnsville Center Burnsville (Minneapolis–Saint Paul area) Minnesota   1977[38]
Louis Joliet Mall Joliet Illinois Renamed in mid 2000s as Westfield Louis Joliet 1977
Twelve Oaks Mall Novi Michigan Joint venture with A. Alfred Taubman and Dayton-Hudson Corporation 1977
Westfield Broward Plantation (Miami Metropolitan Area) Florida Acquired by Westfield Group in 2007 and renamed Westfield Broward 1978
Baybrook Mall Friendswood (Greater Houston) Texas   1978

Town Center Mall Boca Raton (Miami Metropolitan Area) Florida Also known as Town Center at Boca Raton 1980

Greenbrier Mall Chesapeake Virginia   1981
Deerbrook Mall Humble (Greater Houston) Texas   1984

Tysons Galleria Tysons Corner (Washington Metropolitan Area) Virginia Jointly developed with Lerner Enterprises 1988
Lakeland Square Mall Lakeland Florida Jointly developed with Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation[43] 1988

The Northbrook Court and Orland Square Mall malls were really big at the time - I would imagine they would have one. Tysons Galleria has always been a "luxury" mall so it might not have one but I'll look around. Fun fact - when it was built I lived behind it, I walked my dog through the construction site. My office looks down on it now.

11 hours ago, converseba said:

Excited to find this thread as I had been wondering about these mall variants. I've got these two in my collection from a trip I took to the mall when I was a kid. Thanks for all the info here. Nice to have some actual background on these. Just to add a little background of my own, what I remember about these is that they were literally just sitting on a table in the mall for the taking, like a flyer (thus why I snatched up two...wish I had been greedier at the time). 

image0-2.jpeg

:golfclap:    (worship)

14 hours ago, converseba said:

Excited to find this thread as I had been wondering about these mall variants. I've got these two in my collection from a trip I took to the mall when I was a kid. Thanks for all the info here. Nice to have some actual background on these. Just to add a little background of my own, what I remember about these is that they were literally just sitting on a table in the mall for the taking, like a flyer (thus why I snatched up two...wish I had been greedier at the time). 

image0-2.jpeg

And I believe that's confirmation of one of the previously unrecorded Homart Malls!

On 5/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, Qalyar said:

And I believe that's confirmation of one of the previously unrecorded Homart Malls!

Funnily, I entirely misread the previous posts and hadn't realized that these were unaccounted for previously. Makes it far more exciting for me, which is great since I've been inside and bored for months. It's also a little sad since I'm a professional copyeditor and proofreader.

Edited by converseba

59 minutes ago, converseba said:

Funnily, I entirely misread the previous posts and hadn't realized that these were unaccounted for previously. Makes it far more exciting for me, which is great since I've been inside and bored for months. It's also a little sad since I'm a professional copyeditor and proofreader.

Lol, no worries, :headbang:, and you're forgiven! :tink:

It's cool enough that you faoind the thread and posted :)

Thanks to @converseba, one of the two known copies of the Deerbrook Mall variant has been rejoined with its relatives.  Now I’m able to show a photo of 13 of the 16 known variants together, plus the direct sales and newsstand versions.

2033193112_adventuresofsuperman44313mallvariants.thumb.jpg.cd2037580258012ed7505a961f69b7e5.jpg

701381875_adventuresofsuperman13mallvariantscloseup.thumb.jpg.2af2e0c151bfb7f7268797743f055919.jpg

So I suppose a person could do an archival research of local newspapers for each of the cities that has a Homart mall to see if you could find an advertisement similar to the one shown below (found by AJ at RecalledComics.com). If you found that advertisement, then you could assume that there a mall variant exists for that mall, and start doing a search in that area to find the mall variant.  But I think finding a missing mall variant would be harder than the dickens to do.  First of all, it seems reasonable to assume that a good portion of these free giveaways were stashed away or even thrown away (especially since this issue of Adventures of Superman would otherwise have little to no value).   To add to the problem, most of the mall variants in my possession ended up being found a long distance from the originating mall. For example, my spare copy of the Georgetown Park mall variant (which originated from the Georgetown Mall in Wash DC) was later found on the opposite side of the United States in Redmond Washington.

Superman50thClearviewMallAdWhole.jpg.5f67c1f55fdda0d0157543b0bb2b00c3.jpg

I’ve been chasing these mall variants down for 8+ years.   @converseba is the first person I’ve met who has direct recollection of picking up these comic books at a mall.  In his own words (and with his permission) is his story:

“We moved to Conroe, Texas, which was, at the time, a small town far enough outside of Houston to feel like a really small town. Which brings us to 1988, Superman's 50th anniversary. Suddenly, my relatively low-public-interest hobby was everywhere. Since we lived in a small town, the only malls were about 20-30 minutes away, but since it was the 80s, you were going to go to the mall, regardless. That meant either Willowbrook or Deerbrook (there was one other mall, but people were regularly shot there). Given my overall excitement over the 50th anniversary at the time, I would guess I had seen something regarding the giveaway and pleaded with my mother to go. I do not have any memories to back that up, so it's possible this was just happenstance. Either way, a stack of these free books was just sitting on a table in the mall waiting to be taken. I imagine I tried to take the whole stack, but I'm sure my mother most likely limited me so others wouldn't be left out (the right thing to do, but saddening in retrospect with regard to these books).  I don't recall any other 50th anniversary activities going on, but again, my memories of that specific mall visit are a little fuzzy 32 years on.”

Edited by Cpt Kirk