• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

Sorry, but after viewing all 11 episodes twice, this adaptation missed the mark.  
As a long time fan of the original published works, collector of TPB’s, Hardcover, watches, numerous statues & other Sandman family related merchandise, what I saw felt hollow and plastic.

I hope the series ends in its current format/production ‘values’, and is handed over to someone competent enough to carry forward Neil’s vision correctly.  And yes, I know that Neil was involved in various aspects of this production, but honestly, it’s totally missing the ethereal mood portrayed in the comics

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 9/4/2022 at 5:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Sorry, but after viewing all 11 episodes twice, this adaptation missed the mark.  
As a long time fan of the original published works, collector of TOB’s, Hardcover, watches, numerous statues & other Sandman family related merchandise, what I saw felt hollow and plastic.

I hope the series ends in in current format/production ‘values’, and is handed over to someone competent enough to carry forward Neil’s vision correctly.  And yes, I know that Neil was involved in various aspects of this production, but honestly, it’s totally missing the ethereal mood portrayed in the comics

Sorry to see this missed the mark for you.

Meanwhile, as a Sandman fan since the beginning I'm having a great time. Hope for much more.

On 1/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, kimik said:

Fantastic news! I can't wait for some of the other story arcs to be adapted. Being a fan of ancient Greek and Roman history, one of my favourite single issue stories in the run is August/Distant Mirrors Part 2 (issue #30). 

Agreed!

# 30 is a top 5 issue for me - the last page was devastating.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, kimik said:

Fantastic news! I can't wait for some of the other story arcs to be adapted. Being a fan of Ancient Greek and Roman history, one of my favourite single issue stories in the run is August/Distant Mirrors Part 2 (issue #30). 

So not just hockey?

I'm glad this show is getting a second season, but I worry a bit that the next group of stories (at least as they were published) aren't nearly as compelling as the opening bunch.  The first season was, I thought, remarkably faithful to the source material, even to the point of adapting the "bonus" stories that didn't really fit the primary narrative.  But I don't quite see how they do that for season two without taking some much larger liberties, and probably skipping a bunch of the "stand-alone" stories.  

Maybe not.  I guess we'll see. 

On 6/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, Axelrod said:

I'm glad this show is getting a second season, but I worry a bit that the next group of stories (at least as they were published) aren't nearly as compelling as the opening bunch.  The first season was, I thought, remarkably faithful to the source material, even to the point of adapting the "bonus" stories that didn't really fit the primary narrative.  But I don't quite see how they do that for season two without taking some much larger liberties, and probably skipping a bunch of the "stand-alone" stories.  

Maybe not.  I guess we'll see. 

Remember Gaimen himself is attached to the production, and he has laid out that all of his story notes are now available.   What made into the comics was a fraction of what he wrote, and more so suffered the fate of the dreaded deadlines of publishing a monthly title.

Have faith :highfive: