• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mac Raboy original art

18 posts in this topic

That guy has some incredible pages in his collection... I can only dream cloud9.gif

Agreed. And there is an absolutely jaw-dropping concentration of cool original art in people's galleries on that site. You could look through stuff there for hours.

paull. it clearly your a huge raboy fan. and if you belive that raboy is a better inker than frank frazetta. and lou fine. then your in a league of your own. and there nothing wrong with that.

but i tell what, if i could put that master comic # 27 cover againt any of the famous funnies covers that frazetta did. in a room and belive me 80% of the people would pick a frazetta famous funnies cover over that mac raboy cover all day long. feel free to do a poll if you like. larry

Larry, re-read my post. I said that Raboy "may have been the greatest inker in comics". It would be tough to take Raboy over Frazetta though.

Without question, I do think he was better than Lou Fine.

ok. my bad. i may have over look the fine print in your post. 27_laughing.gif but raboy master cover better than lou fine.s hit cover. hummm. that what i love about this board the fact that it real and people can speak there mind. about what,s ever is deal to there heart. larry

I'm not knocking Lou Fine, but I really don't consider him to be the equal of Mac Raboy. Then again, I put Raboy on the top of the heap of GA artists, with only a few others (Eisner and Frazetta being two of them). No slight on Fine....

it,s all good. i would be proud to have and original piece by ethier one. they both turn out some very fine work. had a raboy buck rogers sunday back in the day. wish i should have held on to it.

but i guess i was young whipper snapper and did not know any better. and thought comic art just grew on trees and fell from the sky like skittles.. ;]

larry

I've seen Raboy's Flash Gordon work and it's amazing. He was a very slow artist (as cited in Steranko's "History of the Comics") and often incurred the wrath of his editors, so it's interesting that he was able to produce the amount of work that he did.

I'm with you on Frazetta. The more I look at his work, the more I'm amazed. I actually prefer his pen and ink work over his painted work.

This cover is amazing:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=62210&GSub=8668

His Buck Rogers work for Famous Funnies is just stellar. Especially #213... that cover is mind-blowing.