• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

215 posts in this topic

Just got an e-mail. I'm on my way to office and starting this on my phone, which I'm not savvy enough to add links from. Maybe a Boardie here can provide that?

Exciting info , but how many of us will be resubmitting for the black labelhm

Can't seem to get all the pics to show, but here is the text:

CGC Announces a New Pedigree Label

Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) has released a new Pedigree Certification Label. This new black and white label is a way to differentiate exceptional comic book collections known as pedigrees, and will display "CGC Universal Pedigree" in place of "CGC Universal Grade". Only pedigrees that qualify for a Universal grade will receive the new label. 

These new labels will be applied to books submitted as a CGC recognized pedigree through the online submission form starting on July 12th, and first available for show submissions at San Diego Comic Con on July 17th.

A new pedigree is considered when a collection of vintage books in high grade condition is introduced to the collectors market by the original owner. Many pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence.

CGC is also excited to add five new collections to the list of recognized pedigrees. This brings the total number to 59 pedigrees, all of which will be featured on the CGC pedigree site page next week.

Five New Pedigree Collections
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Assembled by a young man who was born around 1929, the New Hampshire pedigree contains approximately 1,400 books mainly representing the western genre of the late ‘40s and ’50s. This collection contains more western comics than almost any other pedigreed collection. In 1989 the man sold his collection through an agent to Jim Payette, who in turn offered the books in his catalog. This was named the New Hampshire collection after the city in which the books surfaced. Many were subsequently purchased by Bob Overstreet. They are easily identified because of a distinct penciled date on each cover. Long considered a pedigree by collectors, CGC has finally recognized the collection’s status.

COOKEVILLE

Named for its point of origin in Cookeville, Tennessee, the collection was assembled by Leroy Mackie and his brother, and later acquired by Steve Geppi in 1992. It contained nearly 5,000 superhero comics from the late ‘30s to the early ‘50s. In 2019 CGC officially recognized its pedigree status. Cookeville copies are easy to identify because of an "SN" mark written by Mackie’s sisters who worked at the store from which he and his brother purchased comics. Occasionally the name “Leroy Mackie” was also written on the cover.

ELDON

Even though it appears the Eldon collection surfaced in the late ‘80s, CGC did not officially recognize it as a pedigree until now. The size of the collection is unknown, but many comics from the ‘40s have surfaced over the years with the name “Eldon” written on the cover in pen, either printed or in cursive. Subsequent research has revealed that his last name was Hamman, born in 1934 in Iowa, and he served in the Army during the Korean War. He passed away in 1987, likely leading to the sale of his collection. Many rare and key issues were present, including a Captain America Comics #1.

HAROLD CURTIS

One of the few collections to be almost completely CGC graded and sold at once, the Harold Curtis collection is exactly 519 books and spans over a decade, starting in 1940 and peaking during the years 1941-1946. The focus was predominantly DC superhero. Strangely enough, the collection is void of any titles beginning with the letters E through O, as well as any Superman issues. Over 65% of the collection exhibits identifying marks, usually Harold Curtis's name written on the front covers in pen. Other markings include arrival dates and distributor letters. The entire collection was auctioned through Heritage in 2006.

Murphy Anderson File Copy Pedigree

In addition to the substantial Silver and Bronze age original art from the Murphy Anderson Collection, this new pedigree consists of the famed DC artist’s file copies spanning the 1950s-1980s, including such classics as Showcase #4 and incredible white-page, high-grade Silver and Bronze keys. Impressive selections can be found in all of Heritage’s weekly online Comic auctions following the initial offering.

Annie Gaines Ashton Pedigree

Featured in Heritage’s special-format online monthly auction “The MAD Collection of Annie Gaines Ashton,” the Annie Gaines Ashton Pedigree offerings include entire MAD and Panic runs of Gaines File copies. This new pedigree of high-grade examples comes from the collection of Bill Gaines’ estate, the greatest provenance EC and MAD collectors could hope for! The devoted auction runs from September 12-October 17.

Edited by bc

I think the black label is confusing.

Some of the new pedigrees are iffy to my eyes.  The MAD pedigree appears to be Gaines File Copies that are now being sold by one of the original family members. Eldon's and Cookeville's vary in quality.  Some Murphy books I believe previously sold through Sothebys back in the 90s and a 4.5 HOM 33 is not really that impressive...

New Hampshire is a good add.

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Exciting info , but how many of us will be resubmitting for the black labelhm

I believe the real question is how many will be paying up to get their new black labels?  :flipbait:

Good customer service would be providing this new label free of charge for previously slabbed books as CGC already made good money when these books were initially graded.  Of course, this will never happen as ths is the real business world and not how the game is played.  :(

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Some of the new pedigrees are iffy to my eyes. 

Don't really know anything at all about the New Hampshire books, but I believe CGC has just now significantly lowered the bar for pedigree status in terms of the books needing to be of high grade quality.  Based upon many of the books which I have seen from some of these new pedigrees, they are not of the same high grade levels as the original GA pedigrees such as the Church, Reilly's, Allentown's, etc.  :p

The best thing I can say about them is that they all appear to be clearly identifiable with clear and distinct markings.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe the real question is how many will be paying up to get their new black labels?  :flipbait:

Good customer service would be providing this new label free of charge for previously slabbed books as CGC already made good money when these books were initially graded.  Of course, this will never happen as ths is the real business world and not how the game is played.  :(

For sure!

I'm glad my personal ped copy count is about a dozen or so, but I will be swapping them out for this label. Love that these books will stand out now in group shots among other books

Only disappointed is that Detroit Trolly copies still haven't made the cut 

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't really know anything at all about the New Hampshire books

I personally love NHs - the PQ I have seen and possess of these is extremely nice and the couple I have had graded are higher grade.  Small sample I know.  Lots of westerns in the NHs - didn't Payette discover this collection?

I guess the reholders will be going.  I have the NHs, Cookevilles, Eldons, and Harold Curtis examples in slabs but I doubt very I will resub to get a new label.  The two I would consider out of all these would NH and Cookeville if I were to reholder but I really can't see any of these newly recognized peds will increase value by a large extent if at all.  

CBCS had already started recognizing some of these which and I dislike saying anything good about them was a good move to do so from the onset.  

Just my 2c

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

For sure!

I'm glad my personal ped copy count is about a dozen or so, but I will be swapping them out for this label. Love that these books will stand out now in group shots among other books

Only disappointed is that Detroit Trolly copies still haven't made the cut 

Bingo! You are playing right into their new marketing ploy Corey. Nothing wrong with doing that but they are counting on collector's OCD to do just what you say you will. Brilliant marketing move on their side.

And, if those made it, I would agree with the Detroit Trollys.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:
13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't really know anything at all about the New Hampshire books

I personally love NHs - the PQ I have seen and possess of these is extremely nice and the couple I have had graded are higher grade.  Small sample I know.  Lots of westerns in the NHs - didn't Payette discover this collection?

That's certainly good to know.  (thumbsu

Yes, the wirite-up from CGC state that the NH Collection went through an agent to Jim Payette.  Looks like Payette was really on the ball back then in the late 80's with discovering and being the central figure behind both the Denver and the Allentown pedigrees.  :applause:

Also, hope that this pedigree will finally manage to spark some kind of fire to the multi-decades moribund drifting in the long forgotten Western genre.  :wishluck:

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

I guess the reholders will be going.  I have the NHs, Cookevilles, Eldons, and Harold Curtis examples in slabs but I doubt very I will resub to get a new label.  The two I would consider out of all these would NH and Cookeville if I were to reholder but I really can't see any of these newly recognized peds will increase value by a large extent if at all.  

CBCS had already started recognizing some of these which and I dislike saying anything good about them was a good move to do so from the onset.  

Just my 2c

Yes, Payette discovered this collection. Probably THE collection for westerns. I know nothing about the depth but the conditions seemed real nice from the ones I have.

I also doubt the ones they just recognized will get much of a price bump because of this. I have a fair amount of them and never paid much premium except if real high grade or key books or covers. These will get a premium anyway. I do like having marked pedigree books mostly for the stories. Amazing that they survived.

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's certainly good to know.  (thumbsu

Yes, the wirite-up from CGC state that the NH Collection went through an agent to Jim Payette.  Looks like Payette was really on the ball back then in the late 80's with discovering and being the central figure behind both the Denver and the Allentown pedigrees.  :applause:

Also, hope that this pedigree will finally manage to spark some kind of fire to the multi-decades moribund drifting in the long forgotten Western genre.  :wishluck:

I guess it was in Jim's backyard too. I know I have Prize Western but the couple of NH's that I picked up that I like are the western themes from the Thrilling run.