• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder Appreciation Topic
1 1

269 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2023 at 4:46 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I *appreciate* that Zack Snyder will have zero to do with DC films going forward because his films were garbage - and (Wonder Woman aside) set back the DCEU a solid 8 years.

Two words for you, Philistine:

Sucker Punch.

Speaking to a crowd of fans at the Q&A session following the screening of Zack Snyder's Justice League at the Zack Snyder Full Circle Event in Pasadena, California, Batman star Ben Affleck reflected on his work with the director in the DCEU.

He looked at all of the actors that Snyder had cast in his movies and the work they'd done since, crediting Snyder for being so "intuitive" as a filmmaker:

"As you look at all these actors who Zack cast and how good they are and what they’ve gone on to do, it’s a testament to Zack’s taste. And his taste is very, as he says, intuitive. I don’t know if you can learn it or teach it. He has a feeling if he is, sort of, being like a filmmaker with a point of view is."

The Batman star praised Snyder for not worrying about "a bunch of other thoughts or opinions" from outside sources along with the director's ability to stand strong with his decisions:

"As soon as he sees that thing that bounces off him, it’s very wonderful to work with someone who's not clouded by a bunch of other thoughts or opinions or 'What are they gonna say? What are they gonna do? How many followers do they have?' Whatever it is, immediately, and listen, he has an opinion, and he has a strong one." 

To close, Affleck highlighted the way that Snyder works off of his instincts and how he's "decisive and absolutely self-assured" of the decisions he makes, knowing that he trusts everything that his director does with his movies:

"And that’s one of the beautiful things about Zack and his process is that he is worked by instinct and decisive and absolutely self-assured of that, and it’s a very calming thing to have in a director, to go 'OK, he knows where we’re going, so I’m gonna follow him.'"

The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed.

I was surprised to learn that this is not present in Miller's graphic novel. I think it's the biggest change from the source material, and one that vastly improved the story for film.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, D2 said:

Wow! Okay! Give it to me

whats the review?

I'm surprised that some of the mythos was absent, such as the entirety of the Queen's political involvement, and most of the Senate itself. Pretty much everything the movie changed or added made the story better. It's otherwise what I would expect from Frank Miller, whose style can sometimes come off as entirely lazy.

300 is certainly a masterpiece example of turning a graphic novel into a film, capturing the essence of the book while making small improvements and additions that make it more-digestible in the moving pictures medium. I doubt I'll ever read the comics again because of this, though. That's where Watchmen did me a favor, by having a different ending, keeping me attached to revisiting the books every now and then.

It makes me even more curious as to what your friend didn't like about 'em.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm surprised that some of the mythos was absent, such as the entirety of the Queen's political involvement, and most of the Senate itself. Pretty much everything the movie changed or added made the story better. It's otherwise what I would expect from Frank Miller, whose style can sometimes come off as entirely lazy.

300 is certainly a masterpiece example of turning a graphic novel into a film, capturing the essence of the book while making small improvements and additions that make it more-digestible in the moving pictures medium. I doubt I'll ever read the comics again because of this, though. That's where Watchmen did me a favor, by having a different ending, keeping me attached to revisiting the books every now and then.

That's why it's so much hyperbole when someone proclaims all that Zack Snyder and his creative crew did was hold up the comic books and shoot each scene, panel by panel.

The comic book series-to-screen would still require scene planning, cinematrophy directorship, actor performances to drive the audience reaction and soundtrack selection to complement each scene.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So from what I remember, they said that the movie was way better and the books were kind of, the short hand version of the movies. I just remember them complaining about Frank's art style, making it tough to follow. Same comments too I remember how a lot of the details weren't really there for FM's version. It was just surprising that some of the hallmark shots were in the book.
I do agree, the movie is a perfect example of a book to film translation. It's almost like the book is literally a pitch to a movie studio.

after some of the back story that has been written about Kryptonians etc, and rewatching Man of Steel up to ZSJL much of it makes sense, also Lex's character makes more sense to me as well

these movies have so much to them

if the tone of Legacy will be different I'm afraid I won't enjoy them as much after these movies were already made - perfect for me

Stone Quarry, the banner Snyder runs with Deborah and longtime associate Wesley Coller, has an overall film deal with Netflix, which means the filmmaker will be making original stories for the foreseeable future.

But a certain segment of the Snyder fandom have pushed the idea of Netflix somehow buying the rights to the Snyder DC movies and continuing that universe.

Netflix’s head of film Scott Stuber has heard those rumors, and while he doesn’t throw cold water on them, he politely acknowledges the obvious, telling THR, “That’s always tricky because you don’t own it.”

But he did say that there was a possibility that Snyder’s DC movies could end up on the platform.

“Obviously we would like to license it at some point,” Stuber says. “We’d love to have it on so that fans can experience more Zack. The more Zack we have, the better we are.”

In the meantime, Snyder is developing sequels and spinoffs for Army of the Dead for Netflix and is in post on the second Rebel Moon film (with a third in the script stage). But Snyder’s need to tell stories extends beyond his onscreen projects. Snyder is obsessed with storytelling and mythology — and imbues the objects around him with their own stories.

On 12/12/2023 at 4:23 PM, media_junkie said:

Never going to happen.  Imagine the blowback WB would get if Synder was able to put out a MoS2/JL2 and it just blew up on the streaming service?

Warner Bros. Discovery just licensed out a bunch of DC movies and TV shows to Tubi, the free streaming service.

What do you think it would do if Netflix came to them with millions in cash?

On 12/12/2023 at 4:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

Warner Bros. Discovery just licensed out a bunch of DC movies and TV shows to Tubi, the free streaming service.

What do you think it would do if Netflix came to them with millions in cash?

I'll give you that, when HBOMax first started they pulled everything, but since Discovery bought them and got in all that debt it seems as if they are dropping movies to whatever platform will pay them.  If the decision was WB Studio's alone, then I'd say never, ever, no.  But with Discovery having finaly say I'd say, 1% or less (still a chance I guess).

On 12/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, media_junkie said:

I'll give you that, when HBOMax first started they pulled everything, but since Discovery bought them and got in all that debt it seems as if they are dropping movies to whatever platform will pay them.  If the decision was WB Studio's alone, then I'd say never, ever, no.  But with Discovery having finaly say I'd say, 1% or less (still a chance I guess).

1) Netflix Head of Film Productions: "Obviously we would like to license it at some point," Stuber said. "We'd love to have it on so that fans can experience more Zack. The more Zack we have the better we are."

2) WBD licenses out DC content to Tubi: According to Variety, the list of films heading to Tubi in 2024 includes The Batman, Suicide Squad, Black Adam, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman 1984. The list of TV shows, some of which are available starting today, features Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Batwoman, Gotham, and Krypton. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman begins streaming on December 31st.

3) Snyder would absolutely work on his DC films: "If Netflix had the rights to the characters from my DC universe, of course I would make them, absolutely"

4) WBD CFO on licensing out WBD content: "I would license out my mother if it would make me an extra $10!"

Okay. He didn't go that far. But close.

"But The Lord of the Rings isn’t the only franchise WBD is willing to let others mine. A Batman animated series in development from J.J. Abrams also is being shopped around. Bruce Timm, Abrams and Matt Reeves took the show on the road for a series of big pitches to the major streamers this week and last. The series, Batman: Caped Crusader, was originally planned for HBO Max before the WBD merger. At press time, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are the big contenders."

All signs point to for the right price all parties could be satisfied.

Edited by Bosco685