• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

Just now, vodou said:

Guilty until proved innocent? Certainly that would be the LE approach to everything. Awesome. Please tell me you work defense and I can reverse that. It's faulty logic, but then if we're dumping logic altogether, as I believe you prefer...oh well.

Come on, man.  Try taking the Bar exam (or don't). Rapidly form your conclusion that knowledge and instincts point to, then spot and marshal the evidence to back it.

If you form the wrong conclusion, and the facts don't back it up, then you're screwed.  Whether on the exam or in litigation, or hell, merger review.

56 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

The Art Nouveau point is interesting -- leads me to think that there will be certain standard bearers for our comic entertainment epoch, as well.  Many, however, should fall by the wayside.

There's a chance that Pop/Lichtenstein already did it and it's done. There has been a seamless continuation of Roy's (very controversial) 'work' ever since 1962. Everybody is doing it, not really, but Pop Comic Art has become a clutter category, occasionally interesting but mostly hash to cash-in on.

FAILE

image.thumb.png.0b6214b605d5fde0a6b72b180ce0a07e.png

This is no more supportive of 'whoever' drew that girl originally getting a boost from the revival reference than HTL does from JSC hitting up Art Nouveau.

40 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Oh, and a HTL piece (not super famous) has long been my mobile phone background!  I've liked him for years before the JSC homage, which I too don't have -- not one to shell out that much for a modern variant.  Hence, coincidence, not pre-planned.  

Okay, fair enough, and my mistake assuming...and working back from that lol

17 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Come on, man.  Try taking the Bar exam (or don't). Rapidly form your conclusion that knowledge and instincts point to, then spot and marshal the evidence to back it.

If you form the wrong conclusion, and the facts don't back it up, then you're screwed.  Whether on the exam or in litigation, or hell, merger review.

Sorry you won't be able to sell me on this, it's foundational to the way I think that you:

1. Gather the facts (or whatever best gets you there, the evidence if you will) and then,

2. Form your hypothesis, then

3. Test it,

4. Fail and go back to 1 and 2 or if 2 holds water, then

5 Form and pubulish your conclusion and wait for somebody to show you how you ignored all sorts of relevant but perhaps 'inconvenient' facts in step 1 that greatly affect everything that follows!

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

There's a chance that Pop/Lichtenstein already did it and it's done. There has been a seamless continuation of Roy's (very controversial) 'work' ever since 1962. Everybody is doing it, not really, but Pop Comic Art has become a clutter category, occasionally interesting but mostly hash to cash-in on.

FAILE

image.thumb.png.0b6214b605d5fde0a6b72b180ce0a07e.png

This is no more supportive of 'whoever' drew that girl originally getting a boost from the revival reference than HTL does from JSC hitting up Art Nouveau.

You're not getting me, but it's alright.  A step up from the personal insults, my friend !

I reference HTL because much of the doomsaying logic spouted on here would've failed to account for his endurance.  The sanctified "logic" I've been reading is far, faaaar from foolproof in my book (and apparently, for others as well).  Diversity of opinions, and I like it that way.

Edited by exitmusicblue

2 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

personal insults

That's what you're bringing to the table, your thin skin, none of it ever was that from me. You'll know if you ever run into that (from me), there's no walking it back later because I'm done with that person "for life". Intentionally and unambiguously.

There's an inherent weakness in conclusion formed then facts fitted to it. Here's how...

Conclusion: Eating bananas will kill you.

Fact: All people that eat bananas die.

You can do this re: comic art, if that's your thing. Nobody is censoring you as you've several times now suggested some of us are trying to, but don't be surprised if nobody goes along with either...it's really easy to pick that stuff apart.

6 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Pop Comic Art has become a clutter category, occasionally interesting but mostly hash to cash-in on

Yup. Went to NY Art Expo this year for the first time since it moved from the Javits Center. It used to be a premier show with a lot of interesting global talent, but now I found a total of TWO interesting booths. Everything else was third- or fourth-gen derivative pop clutter. Who is buying modified Marilyn portraits in such numbers that there is a market for this stuff?!

Just now, vodou said:

That's what you're bringing to the table, your thin skin, none of it ever was that from me. You'll know if you ever run into that (from me), there's no walking it back later because I'm done with that person "for life". Intentionally and unambiguously.

There's an inherent weakness in conclusion formed then facts fitted to it. Here's how...

Conclusion: Eating bananas will kill you.

Fact: All people that eat bananas die.

You can do this re: comic art, if that's your thing. Nobody is censoring you as you've several times now suggested some of us are trying to, but don't be surprised if nobody goes along with either...it's really easy to pick that stuff apart.

Enh. I've been grinning the entire time, so there's assumption #17227.  : )  And I was the one poking holes, not building a fortress.

In the good words of Rogue -- lighten up, sugah.

10 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Who is buying modified Marilyn portraits in such numbers that there is a market for this stuff?!

Yes...nearly sixty years on and still going strong (swipe of a swipe of a swipe of a swipe of a...)...amazing!

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Uh, not in my line of work, or those old bar exams (I passed 4 of them). The facts in those cases were usually set up to get the attorney to be sympathetic to a particular view, or had lots of irrelevant facts in them to sort out.

That’s the way it is with cases. Clients think that something worked before, and what they have now is similar, or they don’t understand why their sympathetic situation will not win for them. I spend a part of my time tearing up their assumptions, rebuilding from the ground up, and getting additional facts they did not think mattered.

Same here. We wish for something without back-up based on real analogies. I have shown a number of unknowledgeable by-standers my art, and what they like is not always consistent with price.

Edited by Rick2you2

What happened to all the SDCC 2019 OA Pics? 

I rolled up into an Andy Bernard Cosplay Contest:

cornell.gif.5ddabb3a9c3122e1bc7da06cce196682.gif

39 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Uh, not in my line of work, or those old bar exams (I passed 4 of them). The facts in those cases were usually set up to get the attorney to be sympathetic to a particular view, or had lots of irrelevant facts in them to sort out.

That’s the way it is with cases. Clients think that something worked before, and what they have now is similar, or they don’t understand why their sympathetic situation will not win for them. I spend a part of my time tearing up their assumptions, rebuilding from the ground up, and getting additional facts they did not think mattered.

Same here. We wish for something without back-up based on real analogies. I have shown a number of unknowledgeable by-standers my art, and what they like is not always consistent with price.

Aye, does sound different.  I wonder if winning 1L Moot Court was a good or bad thing overall for me, but it's far too late, haha...

47 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I will say in my past line of work (mergers), it was all about knowing the desired end result, knowing the opposition, and then poking holes in the opposition (if they exist).  If sufficient holes don't exist, the responsible attorney tells the client the likely outcome.. and to fold before beginning.

Anyhow, let's feel free to take this to PMs, this thread's been derailed long enough. 

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Yes. But I think for everybody with an interest outside academia/institutional or the 1/10th of 1% income/wealth further cut down to only those that collect art...it's Art Nouveau they identify with, not any individual artist. This is the stuff of retro alcohol labels and advertising, the odd revival poster for turn of the century plays, etc. Nobody is looking at the signatures, nobody cares Mucha versus Toulouse-Lautrect, etc. I don't think breaking out "HTL" because of a specific influence you've latched onto because of something JSC did that you really want and/or now own (do you?) referencing that means anything.

He's hitting Art Nouveau imo not HTL specifically and the zeitgeist or genius of that or whatever we're talking about is sort of dubious (on the part of JSC) because it's homage, which is nifty but really just a sugar-filled hit to the senses versus healthy and satisfying like a balanced meal would be. That's not a knock on the artist or the art but it is why I'm not particularly impressed by it (certainly wouldn't buy it or even want to) and the same with your argument flowing forth. Bronty suggested that you have a formed conclusion already that you're trying to back facts into to support and I think you've shown that with your JSC image reveal...that's where the appreciation/HTL connection you're working so hard is coming from. You found the JSC and wanted to know more which took you back to HTL. Not vice versa, which is what JSC did. He did it because he knew it would work, it's an easy reference that sells, even though nobody (for the most part) knows HTL from Mucha from Adam...they 'know' (of a sort) Art Nouveau.

Yep, HTL lives on because he is associated with Art Nouveau, and his considerable body of fine art paintings with the Post-Impressionists. Using him to make a point about comic art/artists just doesn't make any sense at all.  

Great point (you, or whoever made it) about the collaborative and production nature of comic art.  Most OA isn't even by characters that the artist created or even part of a storyline that the artist wrote, and, unlike illustration art, it looks a lot different than the finished output, being zapped of color (and lettering and sometimes inks for more modern OA).