• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic art you never see. what happen to them all ?

13 posts in this topic

i was just thinking about the old dc phantom strangers book i used to read growing up that had the mike kaluta frankenstein back up story. i have never seen any original pages from these story.s

talk about rare. what happen to them do mike still own these of what. anybody seen any for sale ?

what other rare art has anyone not seen but wondered if they are around.

larry

When I was talking to Jim Mooney sometime back, he told me that DC sent the original pages straight to the shredder (or whatever they used to destroy such stuff back in those days, I believe he actually said "shredder") as soon as they were done with it. We're talking about the 50's and at least the early 50's there. Apparently not every company did this, but it would explain the disappearance of so much of the art I would buy if it still existed.

robert. yeah. i read the horror stories about dc in the 50.s sending a few interns into the basement to throw stacks of art into the furnaces to burn. back then. with once in a while they would rescue a few pages to keep for them selves.

in the 60.s they would give the art back if the artist came to the office and got them. other than that they gave a lot of it away to contest winners for letter pages and would cut up page.s in panels to give to tour groups who were visting the office. i have a two panel peice from jla 28 or 29 with green lantern and some villian named brain wave or something.

any way in the 70 they did give back some art to artist and iam sure some grew legs and walked off with staffers. like in marvels case back in the day.

so i gotta belive the frankenstien pages are out there somewhere in hiding unless kaluta still has them. wish someone with connections could find out from mike.

larry.

Kaluta sold of the vintage DC stuff long ago before it was worth anything (I asked at Atlanta Comic Con a few years back over breakfast). I've never seen pages from that either but there couldnt be that many to begin with It was a backup story (8 pagers) and ran for only a few issues. Either someone really liked the run and bought them up pre Ebay or they are "lost"

flcomicfan. thanks on the update. i knew it was a long shot that he would still have any pages. but i knew they were around somewhere. and i think the stories ran in at lest six issues or more. but i would think i least one page would surface once in a blue moon. even after all these years. . oh well i guess i just keep my figgers cross. that one will pop up one of these days. ;] larry

rob. american flagg ran a good while . so i gotta think there sure be a nice supply of pages. i know i just saw some black kiss pages on somebodys site. i know i saw conan,s pages as well but don,t think i saw any flagg pages.

iam sure someone here or comic art l may have a lead on some. thats why i started this thread sort of a america most wanted of comic art. you post your wants and hopefully someonewill chime in with a lead for you.

good luck in finding that flagg page for your collection. larry

Chaykin Flagg pages should still be pretty available as he did a lot of them and I believe they had to be put up for sale as part of his dovorce settlement years ago . That was done by consigning them to Mitch Itkowitz though the secondseriesmay have been post divorce and also probably were divided up among the guys in the shop wh oworked on them. I'd start by checking with Mitch

I sold some years ago but only have the cover I kept still in my collection

Best George Hagenauer

I've had several Kaluta Frankenstein pages and regret trading or selling them- they exist just buried in folks collections. Of the thousands of pages we auctioned at eh eChicago Comicon Benefit auctio nover the 20+ years it ran I virtually neversee any for sale and there was a lot of minor stuff we sold I would expect would have quickly came back on the market.

That's the nature of the art collecting scene

If you want inforamtion on what stuff got destroyed I've been doing a series in my art column in the Comics Buyer's Guide on Art Butchers various ways art has been destroyed or defaced over the years and who has done it!

And if yo uare looking for scarce art- think about how many Hiollman airboy pages you've seen from its 100+ issue run and how about Golden Age Timely art. I'm slowly starting to got through another series ofpieces on wht companies there is a lot of art from and what there is little or none. Just did a piece on the Ace Horror cover find i nthe 1970's - lots of covers and no interior pages!

Best George Hagenauer

george. thanks for chiming in, i do read your articles in the cgb. from time to time when my local book store gets in a few copys. you really write some great articles.

and iam glad someone has seen the kaluta frankenstein pages. i knew in my heart they had to be out there. somewhere, as far as the golden age stuff. you gotta think unless some artist or publisher has a dry basement or closet. i don,t think we will see that much show up in this age. i would think any art in bulk from the 40 or 50.s would have surfaced by now. but i guess you never know. i have been wrong before. larry