• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,062 posts in this topic

But back to Karasinski as Reed, I could see it.  I think the guy can act, he did a good job in 13 hours, he does great on the Jack Ryan show on Amazon Prime.  While I never saw it apparently the film "A Quiet Place" was decent (and that was made with his wife), it did well enough that there is a Quiet Place 2 coming our way.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I can’t really picture J. Krasinski as Reed Richards. He doesn’t seem nerdy enough. And wrong body type. He shouldn’t be as tall as Thor.

If Krasinski at 6' 3" is too tall to play the 6' 1" Reed, then Hugh Jackman's casting must have blown out your eardrums.  :whatthe:

23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If Krasinski at 6' 3" is too tall to play the 6' 1" Reed, then Hugh Jackman's casting must have blown out your eardrums.  :whatthe:

Wolverine was played differently in the movies than in the comics. Bryan SInger made Logan the romantic lead and really the hero of X-Men. Cyclops was relegated to being more of the romantic rival and foil to Logan. I know comic book faithfuls had a problem with Hugh Jackman's height at first, but it worked for the general public. Logan was meant to be metaphorically bigger than or at least equal to Scott Summers. The height disparage worked for the movies.

In the MCU, Thor's status is established. He's the god of thunder. Except for the Hulk, nobody should be taller than Odinson until Hercules arrives. While Reed Richards may be 6'1" in the comics, Thor is 6'6". You can always cheat height in moviemaking, but I think it might be too difficult with J. Krasinski. He's a big guy. Ioan Gruffudd was actually pretty close to what a movie Reed Richards should be like.

I think the height of the actors is kinda pointless. General public (those who will make the movie a billion dollars or not) don't know who are
Fantastic Four, Dr Doom etc. even with Marvels X-men Disney will have the same problem. People will know who is Wolverine (and Deadpool) but no one knows that Cyclops is kinda a big thing or Jean Grey etc.  If I would call shots in Disney I would make a new Simpsons movie before FF or X-men.. 

22 minutes ago, godzilla43 said:

I think the height of the actors is kinda pointless. General public (those who will make the movie a billion dollars or not) don't know who are
Fantastic Four, Dr Doom etc. even with Marvels X-men Disney will have the same problem. People will know who is Wolverine (and Deadpool) but no one knows that Cyclops is kinda a big thing or Jean Grey etc.  If I would call shots in Disney I would make a new Simpsons movie before FF or X-men.. 

I'm arguing from the point of view of the general public. MCU fans with no knowledge of the comics view Thor, along with Hulk, as the "big Kahuna" of the MCU. For some science nerd to come along and be as tall as Odinson would do harm to the manly mojo Thor has built up in the movies. Reed Richards can't be as big as Thor on the big screen.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm arguing from the point of view of the general public. MCU fans with no knowledge of the comics view Thor, along with Hulk, as the "big Kahuna" of the MCU. For some science nerd to come along and be as tall as Odinson would do harm to the manly mojo Thor has built up in the movies. Reed Richards can't be as big as Thor on the big screen.

I think that is a bunch of malarkey.  I truly believe at this point no one cares how tall someone is or isn't.  Thor still has his mojo because he is the God of Thunder and shoots lightning bolts.  To say he would be considered a wimp because Reed Richards is as tall as Thor is rather short sighted if you ask me.

26 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I think that is a bunch of malarkey.  I truly believe at this point no one cares how tall someone is or isn't.  Thor still has his mojo because he is the God of Thunder and shoots lightning bolts.  To say he would be considered a wimp because Reed Richards is as tall as Thor is rather short sighted if you ask me.

Reed Richards isn't a warrior-type hero. His strength is his mind, not his physical strength. Captain America can be tall, but even he isn't as tall as Thor. Sure, height isn't something audiences look for, but height on screen communicates in a more subliminal way. It's sort of like movies don't cast supporting actors or actresses who are more attractive than the leading actor or actress. Seeing on the screen that Reed Richards would be able to look at Thor eye level would be felt by audiences in an unstated subliminal way. Reed Richards should not be as tall as Thor, especially when no other MCU actor is as tall as Chris Hemsworth.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Tall people can't be smart?
Smart people can't be tall?
Tall people are strong by default?

What are you even saying...? O.o

I'm saying in a comic book movie, Reed Richards (when not super stretching) should not be as tall as Odinson when they're standing next to each other. It's a shallow concept, I know, but it would take away, ever so slightly, from the physically imposing figure of the God of Thunder.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm saying in a comic book movie, Reed Richards (when not super stretching) should not be as tall as Odinson when they're standing next to each other. It's a shallow concept, I know, but it would take away, ever so slightly, from the physically imposing figure of the God of Thunder.

-insert Billy Madison scene-

34 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think you are talking out your .  I admit that I am not a fan of Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), however I recognize that Marvel wants her to be OMG UBAH POWEFUL!  So by your logic the only Avenger she can "be imposing over" is the Black Widow (Brie is 5'7, Scarlett is 5'3).  So according to you the audience sees her blow up Thanos's ship by flying through it but we consider her a punk and not powerful because she isn't as tall as Bucky, or Iron Man, or Captain America, or anyone over 5'8" tall.

4 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I think you are talking out your .  I admit that I am not a fan of Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), however I recognize that Marvel wants her to be OMG UBAH POWEFUL!  So by your logic the only Avenger she can "be imposing over" is the Black Widow (Brie is 5'7, Scarlett is 5'3).  So according to you the audience sees her blow up Thanos's ship by flying through it but we consider her a punk and not powerful because she isn't as tall as Bucky, or Iron Man, or Captain America, or anyone over 5'8" tall.

Her ability to bore us to death is over 9000!

54 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Reed Richards isn't a warrior-type hero. His strength is his mind, not his physical strength. Captain America can be tall, but even he isn't as tall as Thor. Sure, height isn't something audiences look for, but height on screen communicates in a more subliminal way. It's sort of like movies don't cast supporting actors or actresses who are more attractive than the leading actor or actress. Seeing on the screen that Reed Richards would be able to look at Thor eye level would be felt by audiences in an unstated subliminal way. Reed Richards should not be as tall as Thor, especially when no other MCU actor is as tall as Chris Hemsworth.

According to who? The vast majority of movie goers have never read a FF comic and will not have any idea re: who is supposed to taller. Just cast the best actor for the role and if they are 7' tall so be it.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Mr. Fantastic can stretch to be as tall as he wants, so it's really a 100% non-issue. lol

this is exactly what I was thinking  and about to comment with.