• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

552 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, herc2000 said:

I think you should just create new characters then, not try to change the history of the original characters.

Do you think in China, Africa or any other country  they'd change the heroes from their fictional creations to try to please anyone? Imagine the uproar if old Asian or African gods, heroes, were changed and appeared as a white man, would not be allowed, tolerated and would not happen period.

News flash: Jesus wasn't white.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He also didn't have supernatural powers. lol

Not the point. Point is, I can name at least a dozen films off the top of my head where he was depicted by white actors.

Nothing about Prof. X requires him to be white.

And the only thing requiring Magneto to be white is his '80s retcon status as a Holocaust survivor. 

Which would require him to be in his 80s today.

His status as a genocide survivor is far more integral to the character than his race -- so updating him to be African (or Asian) rather than geriatric makes sense.

Just as Netflix was right to update Frank Castle so he's no longer a Vietnam vet, which would mean he'd have been in his 60s in Daredevil Season 2 and easily pushing 70 today.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not the point. Point is, I can name at least a dozen films off the top of my head where he was depicted by white actors.

And the only thing requiring Magneto to be white is his '80s retcon status as a Holocaust survivor. 

His status as a genocide survivor is far more integral to the character than his race -- so updating him to be African (or Asian) rather than geriatric makes sense.

Just as Netflix was right to update Frank Castle so he's no longer a Vietnam vet, which would mean he'd have been in his 60s in Daredevil Season 2 and easily pushing 70 today.

Meh. I don't care for the color/race/gender swapping of any character. Put originality in story. If you're gonna borrow a character - just borrow the damn character. My 2c.

19 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If the MCU were to tie Magneto to the ethnic cleansing in Serbia of the 90’s, then he would be Bosnian Muslim.

So, Gatty, what color is Jesus in your opinion?

As a creator, if I create characters, I create them in the way I want and if they are successful and other people like them, then good, but they are my creations in my little imaginary world and I will have them as I desire and not be forced to have them changed because some bigwig who's never created anything of their own comes along and says they have to be X, Y and Z suddenly. Sorry, but **** off and do some of your own creating and stop living off the back of past creators.

As for history, whether you believe in the bible or not, would you have Alexander the Great portrayed by a POC? Would we have Malcolm X or JFK played by opposite races. As for Jesus, maybe you know better than everyone else, Gatty, but there is a lot of speculation, I don't know that history to well and unfortunately they did not have pictures like we do now. All races did originate from Africa though and spread out, even white people, whom would have olive skin from the very hot sun they had back then, lol

The history of the comics might mean nothing to you Gatty, but to me it does. These comics grew up with have a history, although fictional, it is still there, over 50 years worth, and then some PC plod wants to come along and change all that to what he thinks is right. Funny thing is, it's not people of color from my understanding that want all these changes in these characters, but a certain other group who wake up in the morning with guilt complexes because of past atrocities that have happened, something most of us had nothing to do with.

And as for, Magneto, he still could be from the holocaust, who says he ages the same way as a normal human does?

Wolverine, as native, or half breed would be a good idea ;-)

My friend, reckons Prof X should be older and have a protege who is a POC and pass on his knowledge to him to take over his position as leader of the X-Men.

8 minutes ago, herc2000 said:

So, Gatty, what color is Jesus in your opinion?

As a creator, if I create characters, I create them in the way I want and if they are successful and other people like them, then good, but they are my creations in my little imaginary world and I will have them as I desire and not be forced to have them changed because some bigwig who's never created anything of their own comes along and says they have to be X, Y and Z suddenly. Sorry, but **** off and do some of your own creating and stop living off the back of past creators.

As for history, whether you believe in the bible or not, would you have Alexander the Great portrayed by a POC? Would we have Malcolm X or JFK played by opposite races. As for Jesus, maybe you know better than everyone else, Gatty, but there is a lot of speculation, I don't know that history to well and unfortunately they did not have pictures like we do now. All races did originate from Africa though and spread out, even white people, whom would have olive skin from the very hot sun they had back then, lol

The history of the comics might mean nothing to you Gatty, but to me it does. These comics grew up with have a history, although fictional, it is still there, over 50 years worth, and then some PC plod wants to come along and change all that to what he thinks is right. Funny thing is, it's not people of color from my understanding that want all these changes in these characters, but a certain other group who wake up in the morning with guilt complexes because of past atrocities that have happened, something most of us had nothing to do with.

And as for, Magneto, he still could be from the holocaust, who says he ages the same way as a normal human does?

Wolverine, as native, or half breed would be a good idea ;-)

My friend, reckons Prof X should be older and have a protege who is a POC and pass on his knowledge to him to take over his position as leader of the X-Men.

Pangaea.

Also: Agreed.

Also also: Interesting idea.

26 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/10/09/marvel-x-men-the-animated-series-theme-song-lawsuit/

This song is intensely nostalgic for me. Instant happiness when I hear it...

Interesting. I wonder if this could set back any relaunch of the series which the creative team was trying to get Disney to sign up to.

Are you sitting down? I certianly hope so, because the following article is bound to make you stabby with rage. As your attorney I advise you to instruct anyone around you to leave the area. And, just to be safe, I would remove any breakable objects that are within arms-reach. Okay. Are you ready? Here we go.

Recently while speaking with Digital Spy and other members of the press, STAR TREK: PICARD and X-MEN alum Patrick Stewart revealed that he's spoken with Marvel mastermind Kevin Feige about the possibility of reprising his role as Charles Xavier, leader of the X-Men, for the MCU. Exciting, right? I mean, who wouldn't want that? Well, as it turns out, the person who doesn't think it's a good idea is the legend himself, Patrick Stewart.

"I met with Kevin Feige a couple of months ago and we had long, long conversations," he explained. "And there have been moves and suggestions, which include Charles Xavier."

I know, I can hardly breathe as well. Unfortunately, Stewart feels as though his character's turn in James Mangold's LOGAN was the perfect way to say goodbye to the mutant mentalist.

"Here's the problem... If we had not made Logan, then yes, I would probably be ready to get into that wheelchair one more time and be Charles Xavier. But Logan changed all that," Stewart added. "Here's a tiny anecdote. The first time that Hugh [Jackman] and I saw the film in public was at the Berlin Film Festival, which is where the movie premiered. Shortly after Xavier's death scene, I found myself getting very emotional but I had to keep a hold of myself because we were sitting in the middle of this cinema. And then I saw Hugh's hand come up to his eye and wipe away a tear. I thought, 'Dammit, the bugger's crying. Oh, let it out Patrick.'"

As Stewart recalls, he'd held on for as long as he could before he "sat there snivelling" alongside an emotional Jackman. Truth be told, I bawled my eyes out during that scene as well. Oh, and I'd cried when Logan took a dirt nap, too. I've no shame in admitting this. None whatsoever.

"Hugh took my hand, and we held hands with the last seven or eight minutes of the film because there was so many things we were upset about," Stewart recalled about the tear-jerking scene. "We were moved by the story. We were moved by one another. We were moved by the movie. But we also both made the decision that we were saying goodbye to our characters as well. In that sense, it was not just the deaths of those two men in the franchise, but it was also goodbye to our part in them as well."

23 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I could maybe see Tatum Channing or Taylor Kitsch, you know that John Carter guy, as Gambit. Maybe they could both play him like a duo, Gambit and Gambino. Stream of consciousness thinking.

I haven't seen Taylor kitsch since the second season of true detective 

I wonder what has become of him