• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

547 posts in this topic

Stan Lee on how the X-Men got their name:

"Oh, I've got to tell you about my boss," Lee said. "My publisher said, when I brought him the idea...I wanted originally to call them The Mutants and he said, 'you can't call them The Mutants' and I said, 'why not?' He said, 'our readers, they aren't that smart.' He had no respect for comic book readers. He said, 'they won't know what a mutant is.' Well, I disagreed with him, but he was the boss so I had to think of another name. So, I went home and I thought and thought and I came up with the X-Men and I mentioned it to him the next day and he said, 'that's okay' and as I walked out of his office I thought, that was very peculiar. If nobody would know what a mutant is how will anybody know what an X-Man is? But he had okayed the name and I used it."

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

"Oh, I've got to tell you about my boss," Lee said. "My publisher said, when I brought him the idea...I wanted originally to call them The Mutants and he said, 'you can't call them The Mutants' and I said, 'why not?' He said, 'our readers, they aren't that smart.' He had no respect for comic book readers. He said, 'they won't know what a mutant is.' Well, I disagreed with him, but he was the boss so I had to think of another name. So, I went home and I thought and thought and I came up with the X-Men and I mentioned it to him the next day and he said, 'that's okay' and as I walked out of his office I thought, that was very peculiar. If nobody would know what a mutant is how will anybody know what an X-Man is? But he had okayed the name and I used it."

You missed the real influence.

Most of the X-Men are mutants, a subspecies of humans who are born with superhuman abilities activated by the "X-Gene". The X-Men fight for peace and equality between normal humans and mutants in a world where anti-mutant bigotry is fierce and widespread.

They get their name from the X-gene they have which is an additional gene from normal humans that gives them their mutant powers.

But hey - play to your altered history each time Lee told it.

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

By the way. Where did you get this altered quote from the Rolling Stones interview?

Stan Lee on the X-Men and More: The Lost Interview

He liked the idea, but I wanted to call the book The Mutants, and he said, nobody knows what a mutant is, you gotta come up with another name. So I figured, well, they’re men and women with extra powers, and their leader is Professor Xavier, why don’t I call them the X-Men? I brought that name to my publisher, he said, that’s great! And as I walked out of the office, I thought, ‘If nobody would know what a mutant is, how is anybody gonna know what an X-Men is?’ But I had my name, and I wasn’t gonna fight it. That was how it started.

You would never alter that quote. So it was definitely someone else. :angel:

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You missed the real influence.

Most of the X-Men are mutants, a subspecies of humans who are born with superhuman abilities activated by the "X-Gene". The X-Men fight for peace and equality between normal humans and mutants in a world where anti-mutant bigotry is fierce and widespread.

They get their name from the X-gene they have which is an additional gene from normal humans that gives them their mutant powers.

But hey - play to your altered history each time Lee told it.

You're wrong. X-Gene wasn't mentioned in the pages of X-Men until later. Professor X's reasoning for the name was a human with EX-tra powers. Here's the panel from X-Men #1.

IMG_0896.thumb.jpg.783435b94d2d3df776f6608816ab4fa5.jpg

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

You're wrong. X-Gene wasn't mentioned in the pages of X-Men until later. Professor X's reasoning for the name was a human with EX-tra powers. Here's the panel from X-Men #1.

IMG_0896.thumb.jpg.783435b94d2d3df776f6608816ab4fa5.jpg

I'm wrong that they are mutants due to an altered gene? Okay.

:bigsmile:

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

By the way. Where did you get this altered quote from the Rolling Stones interview?

It was the quickest quote I could find on the story. But I've known Stan Lee's reasoning for the X-Men name when I first read it in his introduction to the X-Men in the 1975 book Son of Origins of Marvel Comics when I was a kid. The story hasn't changed:

"Originally, I proposed naming the chronicle of our merry little misfits THE MUTANTS. I thought it would make a great title. But I was outvoted by the powers that be in the head office. I was told, with much conviction, that nobody knew what a mutant was, therefore couldn't be the title of a magazine. I tried, in my stumbling, bumbling way, to say that some people knew the word, and those that didn't would soon learn it after the book was published. But, as you can tell by the present title, unlike our sterling super-heroes, yours truly didn't always emerge victorious!

However, undaunted and unbowed, I returned with another name - the X-MEN. I truly expected to be booted out of the office for that one. I mean, if people didn't know what a mutant was, how would they know what an X-Man was? But I guess I'll never make my mark as a logician - everyone okayed the title!"

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It was the quickest quote I could find on the story. But I've known Stan Lee's reasoning for the X-Men name when I first read it in his introduction to the X-Men in the 1975 book Son of Origins of Marvel Comics when I was a kid. The story hasn't changed:

"Originally, I proposed naming the chronicle of our merry little misfits THE MUTANTS. I thought it would make a great title. But I was outvoted by the powers that be in the head office. I was told, with much conviction, that nobody knew what a mutant was, therefore couldn't be the title of a magazine. I tried, in my stumbling, bumbling way, to say that some people knew the word, and those that didn't would soon learn it after the book was published. But, as you can tell by the present title, unlike our sterling super-heroes, yours truly didn't always emerge victorious!

However, undaunted and unbowed, I returned with another name - the X-MEN. I truly expected to be booted out of the office for that one. I mean, if people didn't know what a mutant was, how would they know what an X-Man was? But I guess I'll never make my mark as a logician - everyone okayed the title!"

So you just grabbed any altered quote as long as it justified your stance 'X-Men' wasn't even the intended original name. But make it extra toxic how Lee belittled his publisher's mental state.

I think I'm getting a better feel for your progressive views.

:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It is the X-gene, but that explanation didn't come until later.

So you're just picking at the tiniest item knowing the altered gene is the key distinguishing characteristic?

'Progressive'? Interesting. :baiting:

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So you're just picking at the tiniest item knowing the altered gene is the key distinguishing characteristic?

'Progressive'? Interesting. :baiting:

Okay, you want me to write a book about this? Stan Lee never had the idea of the x-gene as the cause of mutation. His original idea for the origin of mutants was like every other Marvel hero, from radiation. That's why they were called Children of the Atom in the opening blurb of every issue. Unlike Spider-Man, though, mutants were born mutated, perhaps a result of their parents being exposed to radiation. The X-gene was part of the Celestials explanation that came later, but was not an idea of Lee's.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, by the way, the first Stan Lee quote I posted isn't from a Rolling Stone interview. It's from another article that quoted Stan Lee giving a panel at a Wizard World con.

The Fox film derivation of the name felt organic...Xavier didn't name them, the students did because they were Xavier's team.  I thought the X came from his name long before the Fox films though.  I saw the "extra-men" comment in the first issue but assumed Stan had a double-meaning in mind.

When did the X-gene name first appear?  I never heard it until the 1990s, and I had been reading the book for a decade before that.

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh, by the way, the first Stan Lee quote I posted isn't from a Rolling Stone interview. It's from another article that quoted Stan Lee giving a panel at a Wizard World con.

You found the most divisive interpretation of Stan Lee's conveying of history and went with that. 'Progressives' are better than that.

Yet in the Rolling Stone interview where he isn't playing to a Marvel convention audience (he did have two ways of telling his history) there's no publisher belittling the readers as too stupid to understand what a mutant was. There's the reality of the situation. So Stan Lee was encouraged to go with a title general readers could lock in on easily: The X-Men. And comic book history was made!

See how easy reality is to accomplish without the 'the MCU is always right' cloud of virtual reality? 

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, you want me to write a book about this? Stan Lee never had the idea of the x-gene as the cause of mutation. His original idea for the origin of mutants was like every other Marvel hero, from radiation. That's why they were called Children of the Atom in the opening blurb of every issue. Unlike Spider-Man, though, mutants were born mutated, perhaps a result of their parents being exposed to radiation. The X-gene was part of the Celestials explanation that came later, but was not an idea of Lee's.

So you overthought what I posted knowing the intent was still correct - mutants are beings with a modified gene making them different from humans. Gotcha!

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

"Let's call them something else. Oh, let's also remove one of the key establishments in the title."

Then it's not the X-Men, so don't use X-Men characters.

But Feige said... :kidaround: