• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My kind of pedigree, Chicago is (show’m if you got’m)
3 3

46 posts in this topic

Arrival dates such as those on MH & SF copies I would not downgrade for.  Names are a little trickier. Larson's name on the cover is quite unobtrusive, so I would not downgrade in 9.6 or less.  If his name was written in huge pen across the cover I would!  Recil Macon loved his name & wrote it all over the place on many of his comics!  I would downgrade for multiple names written throughout the book.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:42 AM, lou_fine said:

As for the Chicago books themselves, any idea how large the collection was since they don't seem to really show up very often in the marketplace today?  I know it had a lot of the Timely's as part of the collection back then when they seem to be much more prevalent.  Not so much now, as even this current CC auction that is taking place right now has only one of these books in their auction.  Looking at it last night, I somehow suspect it just might end up finishing a wee bit higher than the current $3 top bid it is sitting at.  Especially since it is apparently still tied as the highest graded copy after all these years. hm

Seeing as how there's no Allentown or Denver books in this particular CC auction for me to follow, I've decided to circled back to this one and only Chicago book in the auction:

jac1.102a.jpg

Although it has finally managed to clawed its way out from the single digit price range lol, it looks like it is still a long ways away from where a non-pedigree equivalent CGC 8.0 graded copy managed to fetch in a Heritage auction the other year.  hm

It will be interesting to see if there is much action on this particular Chicago book during the extended 3-minute bidding time periods.  Especially considering it appears that a larger than normal number of books, including some high profile ones are receiving only limited, if any in fact, extended bids in this go round of the CC auctions this time.  Not sure, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the higher than normal extended runs of both quality GA and early SA books that are present in this particular Event auction?  (shrug)

Does anyone know if the Chicago pedigree contained multiple copies of any issues?

there’s an 8.5 USA 8 copy currently for sale, but in looking at GPA, there are reported sales of a Chicago pedigree issues in 6.5 and 8.0.

im curious if these 3 different graded issues are in fact the same book 

7C91278B-160A-4FEA-9706-B30FD8156886.jpeg

1E4C790C-1863-4DEB-9DF7-63850596826B.png

On 7/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, Timely said:

For those of you who have never seen the interior coding of a Chicago Copy, here's a pic.

IMG_2371.JPG

What is that code?  Almost looks like a URL. 

So answering myself, checked GCG, seems that wasn't done by the OO.  "which ultimately ended up in the hands of George Olshevsky, a well-known Timely historian. Olshevsy eventually sold his collection in 1988; prior to that he had meticulously penned a code number, date, and the condition of the book in the margin of an interior page of every issue>"