• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: Storage Units and Comics (DON'T DO IT)
2 2

121 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, D84 said:

Another thread was started so time for another bump. :facepalm:

I asked this question in the other thread with no replies:

Collectibles insurance is inexpensive, however, with that being said, what are the most secure ways to protect a collection from loss? Both at home and offsite? It's a pain to settling large insurance losses even when it all goes smoothly. 

Any replies or thoughts are appreciated. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I asked this question in the other thread with no replies:

Collectibles insurance is inexpensive, however, with that being said, what are the most secure ways to protect a collection from loss? Both at home and offsite? It's a pain to settling large insurance losses even when it all goes smoothly. 

Any replies or thoughts are appreciated. 

High end stuff: either a gun safe or safety deposit box in a bank.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, D84 said:

High end stuff: either a gun safe or safety deposit box in a bank.

Both of those can be problematic.  Many banks only are climate controlled during business hours  and gun safes can cause rust if not properly equipped. 

You really need to do your own research because different branchs of the same bank might have different vault conditions,  and humidity varies by region.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, shadroch said:

Both of those can be problematic.  Many banks only are climate controlled during business hours  and gun safes can cause rust if not properly equipped. 

You really need to do your own research because different branchs of the same bank might have different vault conditions,  and humidity varies by region.

Everyone should do more research before making a decision on how to protect their valuable property.

I was just trying to point in a direction of where to start.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, D84 said:

Everyone should do more research before making a decision on how to protect their valuable property.

I was just trying to point in a direction of where to start.

I appreciate that. I was looking for possible different options and at least you are offering possible solutions. Thank you!

On 6/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, shadroch said:

Posting on here was the start of my research to hopefully get pointed in a good direction. I will do my own due diligence before settling in on a final solution that I think will work for me and provide the level of protection I want. What works for you? I assume you store your high end collectibles in some form or fashion? 

On 6/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I appreciate that. I was looking for possible different options and at least you are offering possible solutions. Thank you!

A security system for your home is a good start.  Also, don't advertise what you have.  Random break-ins can happen but if word gets out that there's a valuable collection in your home chances of a theft greatly increase.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

Posting on here was the start of my research to hopefully get pointed in a good direction. I will do my own due diligence before settling in on a final solution that I think will work for me and provide the level of protection I want. What works for you? I assume you store your high end collectibles in some form or fashion? 

The best level of protection is keeping your security arraingements off the web.  I have a policy with Collectible Insurance Agency, which doesn't need much documentation for items under $5,000.   My policy covers two locations and since the chances of both being hit or in a fire at the same time are slim, I only buy half the coverage if they were all in one spot.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, lemonman6 said:

I’ll give you one picture to show you why storage lockers are bad for comics.

Last year, I decided to put boxes of comics into storage temporarily and this was the result barely 3 months later. The storage company initially told me insurance would cover it and played dumb when this happened. 350 dollars a month for these guys to ruin 100+ long boxes of mostly high grade Bronze Age stuff.

When you get 2 feet of water into a storage unit every box will fall no matter how well you prepare.

Keep away from storage units unless you’re prepared to lose everything in it.

C024AC82-D10D-4FAF-A59A-FF19AE2573CE.jpeg

PSA for this thread too!

damn-friday.gif

On 6/3/2022 at 12:40 PM, thehumantorch said:

A security system for your home is a good start.  Also, don't advertise what you have.  Random break-ins can happen but if word gets out that there's a valuable collection in your home chances of a theft greatly increase.

Does it? I haven't seen those stories, but maybe people aren't advertising their misfortune. 

On 6/3/2022 at 5:17 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Does it? I haven't seen those stories, but maybe people aren't advertising their misfortune. 

A bunch of kids befriended an old man because of his golden age comics and robbed him. I think he had a heart attack and died . 

Nick Cage had books stolen during a party, or so the story is told.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:07 AM, D84 said:

After seeing a couple more threads about this, I thought this needed a bump.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, but give people the perspective of someone who worked storage for over a decade in both California and Texas.

Indeed. The theif caught in the act pays back 7 fold, here we are with experience. It's a must share.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@CGC Mike

Can we pin this? I keep seeing people talk about their collections getting ripped off and I'd like for them to read this thread before putting high value comics in a storage unit.

This is not about kicking people while they are down; I'm hoping people read this and it makes them decide against putting ANYTHING valuable at a storage facility.

Edited by D84