• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Green Lantern/ Green Arrow #85

16 posts in this topic

Snagged this for $50 but with ebay bucks I only paid half that. Thinking of taking it to Michigan Comic Con and getting Neal Adams to sign it and since CGC will be there I may as well have it witnessed and slabbed so it can be my first SS copy. Thoughts? My friend doesnt think its in good enough condition to even bother :/

65287719_382923912339050_8606397111451254784_n.jpg

25583_104226499607549_460814_n.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Believe me, I'm as far from an expert as u can get.  Around 4 could mean lower. But the cover isn't torn up or missing pieces.  Back is really dirty. Maybe a quality press/dry clean would help but at this grade level it prob isn't worth it for that plus SS service, shipping etc.

Still, cool to have an Adams sig on such a book if u were to get it - even if u don't submit it

I would say 3.5 there's a lot of bends and creases in that FC as well in the middle as well as rusted staples, heavy soiling as for value not familiar with Green lantern or DC pricing but from what others say you might break even with the pressing cleaning SS services etc. Best for you to do some research into what the book sold for and the condition at least you have a guide of the condition and check the fees and what you think it would sell for and go from there also it varies depending on your financial situation etc..

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I would say 3.5 there's a lot of bends and creases in that FC as well in the middle as well as rusted staples, heavy soiling as for value not familiar with Green lantern or DC pricing but from what others say you might break even with the pressing cleaning SS services etc. Best for you to do some research into what the book sold for and the condition at least you have a guide of the condition and check the fees and what you think it would sell for and go from there also it varies depending on your financial situation etc..

I would hold onto it for a while. My comic collection is something I wanna keep for now but its sorta my retirement fund in a way. One day I will sell it but that day is like 35 or 40 years away

Agree with the folks above, 3.5/4.0 range due to the staining/rumpling and rusty staples.

If you're going to have the book signed by Adams, witnessed and slabbed, I'd think you're looking at something like (wild guess) $150 in fees and a few months of processing time? In my opinion, from the standpoint of all the time and money you'll be investing, a better copy (even, say, a copy in the 5.0-6.0 range with no staining) will give you more satisfaction in the end.

34 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:

I would hold onto it for a while. My comic collection is something I wanna keep for now but its sorta my retirement fund in a way. One day I will sell it but that day is like 35 or 40 years away

I am not a Financial Advisor or anything but I do hope you understand that the collectable markets in any hobby has a certain amount of Risk involved and have considered this in your decision/purchases for a retirement fund. Id sure hate to be a stamp collector trying to sell now a days. 

As from what I have read and learned from experienced collectors comics might not crash any time soon and might be a viable source of funds for retirement but it can also decrease and the prices paid today might not equal the prices sold 40 years from now. 

I sure hope you have the funds diversified amongst other sources of investments. 

15 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I am not a Financial Advisor or anything but I do hope you understand that the collectable markets in any hobby has a certain amount of Risk involved and have considered this in your decision/purchases for a retirement fund. Id sure hate to be a stamp collector trying to sell now a days. 

As from what I have read and learned from experienced collectors comics might not crash any time soon and might be a viable source of funds for retirement but it can also decrease and the prices paid today might not equal the prices sold 40 years from now. 

I sure hope you have the funds diversified amongst other sources of investments. 

Agree with this too. Comic collecting is awesome! and if you're savvy it can provide some financial boosts here and there along the way. But unless you're sitting on a pile of Action #1s, "comics as retirement funds" is a road to cat food consumption.

3 hours ago, Krishosein said:

Oh I do. I have never been a person to put everything in one basket. I like to have a Plan A and a B all the way to Z if possible.

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

Agree with the folks above, 3.5/4.0 range due to the staining/rumpling and rusty staples.

If you're going to have the book signed by Adams, witnessed and slabbed, I'd think you're looking at something like (wild guess) $150 in fees and a few months of processing time? In my opinion, from the standpoint of all the time and money you'll be investing, a better copy (even, say, a copy in the 5.0-6.0 range with no staining) will give you more satisfaction in the end.

Sadly I don't have that kind of time or funds. The convention itself is costing me quite a bit and I kinda lucked out with this copy. Basically it's this copy or none at all :/

I can only hope I get a 4.0 which to me is alright, 4.0 is better than a 2.0 or .5

Edited by lanternfan55

57 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:

Sadly I don't have that kind of time or funds. The convention itself is costing me quite a bit and I kinda lucked out with this copy. Basically it's this copy or none at all :/

I can only hope I get a 4.0 which to me is alright, 4.0 is better than a 2.0 or .5

Oh sure, that’s fair enough. Just thought it worth a mention as the signing & slabbing would set you back some more. In any case, one of my fave GLs... great to own in any condition. (thumbsu

22 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Oh sure, that’s fair enough. Just thought it worth a mention as the signing & slabbing would set you back some more. In any case, one of my fave GLs... great to own in any condition. (thumbsu

The reason I even ask is cause as I said, one day in my twilight years, I wanna eventually sell and I wanna be able to make some profit one day.I know over time GL 85's may go up just over time do to the age of them. I mean who knows how many there will be in lets say 2054. I just wanted to double check with people here cause my friend was saying that its a 1.0 or .5 and that I shouldn't embaress myself by having Mr.Adams sign it and with Green Lantern being my favorite hero of all and with Adams being one of the things that helped make him what he is, I wouldnt wanna present him with what my friend called "colorful toilet paper"

5 hours ago, lanternfan55 said:

The reason I even ask is cause as I said, one day in my twilight years, I wanna eventually sell and I wanna be able to make some profit one day.I know over time GL 85's may go up just over time do to the age of them. I mean who knows how many there will be in lets say 2054. I just wanted to double check with people here cause my friend was saying that its a 1.0 or .5 and that I shouldn't embaress myself by having Mr.Adams sign it and with Green Lantern being my favorite hero of all and with Adams being one of the things that helped make him what he is, I wouldnt wanna present him with what my friend called "colorful toilet paper" 

Again, I don't think a book like this is a road to any substantial profit and may well be an eventual loss. So I would be realistic about that. But as a part of your collection, it would certainly be cool to get it signed by Neal Adams. He's arguably the best artist that ever worked on GL! Try to get a photo of him signing the book if you can. Someday he won't be with us and you'll be glad you took the time to meet him.

14 hours ago, lanternfan55 said:

As to the value later on not sure but there might be better things that would get better value later on. 

But to your friend, I wouldn't listen to him well loved (well read) copies of books aren't worthless or "toilet paper" those books are more cherished than one that a 9.8 as that someone read that book and enjoyed that story and it might have been read many times over by the same person or different person. I think any real artist, writer or anyone who makes a comic would be proud and honoured to sign even a beat up copy with tape holding the pages together because they would know that someone loved their book and read it and still kept it. It shows an appreciation and love for their work! 

So don't listen to your friend I have gotten some low grade stuff signed by people before and don't feel "embarrassed I think they appreciate it that someone read their book and kept it and wants an autograph to cherish it more.

I would be more embarrassed to get a book I never opened signed because I am trying to get a 9.8 or higher CGC SS grade. That shows that I don't care about the work inside the book or the story or artwork.