• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM showcase 55, first Solomon Grundy

13 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Nicer copy I picked up.  Tight staples. Only thing is some staining in the corner inside cover and back cover.  Should I press?1841972298_showcase55front.thumb.jpg.54656b30b4ec7245673ddd925b72cacd.jpg370005276_showcase55back.thumb.jpg.4dd586178a2c69b34035eaafb713293a.jpg

I'd like to see these two images of the book with a cleanly, clearlu defined margin on all 4 sides. I can't tell if I'm looking at the edges, some appear cut off to me by the scanner.

42 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

There we go. Much better. The rubs in the purple near the spine and the spine stresses take it down to 7.5 on a lucky day, 7.0 if Lady Luck has the day off. Now you have to consider the moisture spots (not really stains) at the bottom of the front cover. And without pics of the pages at that point, I will assume that they do not infiltrate (migrate or soak) into the pages. If that's the case, it's not just the corner with the tide line, it's a few areas along the bottom of the cover, more visible from the inside cover perspective. No passive technique can be undertaken to mollify tide lines, a pressing and dry cleaning will not (Joey, please correct me if I am wrong). CGC can do one of two things with spots like this. Either almost ignore them, which is typical on books in the 4.0 or lower range, or moderately impact the grade, just like edge tanning (the higher the grade range, the more that toning or tide lines and stains will impact the grade).. My guess is that although IMO it's a 6.0 because of all I stated, a spotted 7.0/7.5 = 6.0, because the book is very attractive, with great eye appeal for the grade range, I think it scores either 6.5 or 7.0 at CGC, but on ebay should sell for 7.5 range, even graded 6.5 or 7.0 due to the defects present being the "right ones" to present a minimum of distractions while the book retains a nice high grade look to it.  

And as far as resto goes, while it can't be 100% ruled out, from what I can see available for view, I don't see any tells for possible restoration of any kind, trimming included.

Edited by James J Johnson

25 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

There we go. Much better. The rubs in the purple near the spine and the spine stresses take it down to 7.5 on a lucky day, 7.0 if Lady Luck has the day off. Now you have to consider the moisture spots (not really stains) at the bottom of the front cover. And without pics of the pages at that point, I will assume that they do not infiltrate (migrate or soak) into the pages. If that's the case, it's not just the corner with the tide line, it's a few areas along the bottom of the cover, more visible from the inside cover perspective. No passive technique can be undertaken to mollify tide lines, a pressing and dry cleaning will not (Joey, please correct me if I am wrong). CGC can do one of two things with spots like this. Either almost ignore them, which is typical on books in the 4.0 or lower range, or moderately impact the grade, just like edge tanning (the higher the grade range, the more that toning or tide lines and stains will impact the grade).. My guess is that although IMO it's a 6.0 because of all I stated, a spotted 7.0/7.5 = 6.0, because the book is very attractive, with great eye appeal for the grade range, I think it scores either 6.5 or 7.0 at CGC, but on ebay should sell for 7.5 range, even graded 6.5 or 7.0 due to the defects present being the "right ones" to present a minimum of distractions while the book retains a nice high grade look to it.  

And as far as resto goes, while it can't be 100% ruled out, from what I can see available for view, I don't see any tells for possible restoration of any kind, trimming included.

Wow, superb analysis! Thank you @James J Johnson.  Definitely better then that restored copy. 

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

@joeypost  Would you be able to clean this  much at all? 

The dirt will all come off, unfortunately the stains and tanning will remain. It is structurally sound which helps with the eye appeal, and will clean up and press nicely