• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classic Bob Layton Iron Man cover for sale on EBay

16 posts in this topic

If I was going to own one Iron Man cover, that would probably be it. For a couple years in the late 70s, early 80s I used to draw and generally what I would do is just try to recreate images from comics. Out of all the drawing I did, this cover is the one I most specifically remember drawing. (I always preferred drawing Iron Man anyway as I found it easier than doing human faces.)

Marc

Somehow I knew it would be that cover. I also always remember this cover, and would love to own it. Out of my price range, unfortunately. But, I think a nice Layton interior page is within reach. thumbsup2.gif

that, is a cool cover. i would love to have it. but iam sure its going to go for mega bucks. which is ok. i meet bob back in the day he a real nice guy. very talkative. i asked for a sketch at a con. and he drew antman in between a pair of huge boobs tweaking the nipples. while grinning. the guys a riot. larry

larry.

Hey Rhino!

So you're the one ahead of me!

Bob told me last week he had a couple of commissions ahead of mine, and to expect mine in the next couple of weeks smile.gif

What cover are you getting?

This one: lightboxed from the original Kirby pencils.... yay.gif

kirbyim90recreation.jpg

Nice one, Rhino!

I love Bob's stuff, and his prices are reasonable smile.gif I wouldn't be surprised if I end up getting more stuff from him. I also found a nice guy to color the piece for me when Bob's done with it!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Rhino, by the way, nice collection you have! I see you like to stick to classics smile.gif

For now, I'm sticking mostly to modern, cheap pieces that I like, but I'll venture to the Kirbys, Romitas and Buscemas one day, hopefully!

Alberto

Nice one, Rhino!

I love Bob's stuff, and his prices are reasonable smile.gif I wouldn't be surprised if I end up getting more stuff from him. I also found a nice guy to color the piece for me when Bob's done with it!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Rhino, by the way, nice collection you have! I see you like to stick to classics smile.gif

For now, I'm sticking mostly to modern, cheap pieces that I like, but I'll venture to the Kirbys, Romitas and Buscemas one day, hopefully!

Alberto

Thanks Alberto, I loved the Romita Jr/Layton Iron Man run. One of the classic comic runs of all time. This cover is prior to their run, but the Kirby covers of the #90s remain some of my favorites and I was really psyched to get this piece!

Bob IS reasonable and he does excellent work! FFB was just saying at the Con yesterday that nobody draws metal and armor like Layton can.

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, that run by Romita Jr and Layton was great, and when you look at it you can see how much Romita's art has changed from them to now. Personally, I like his old stuff better, like that Iron Man run, than some of his newer work like Wolverine, although I still enjoy him today.

iam sorry. i just can,t get in the new romita jr. stuff. you look at the black panther art. it looks nothing like his iron man / layton stuff even his daredevil run with al williamson was pretty decent. but from there it sort of slides down hill to me. i know he can do better than the work i see so far in the panther books.

larry

He can do better work for sure than the panther books.

However, unlike other artists that I've run into before, the art is not bad enough for me to stop buying a book.

One thing I sometimes wonder is how much of the final result depends on the inker. For example, how different would the Black Panther book look if, let's say Layton, would be inking it today. Certainly, it would not look the same as his previous runs, but I wonder what exactly we would see in that case.

I also wonder if he's trying too much to change his style to be substantially different from the classic artists, he used to be a lot more "old school" to put it somehow, and now he seems to be more rough, more square, I don't know...

i think. his style change because it faster to draw this way then the old school way. it nothing for the guy to do two or three books at the same time he.s done it before. so i think he chosed speed over style. the art in the panther books sez it all.

larry

that might have very well been in, I hadn't thought of him just deciding to draw fast so he can get more pieces out... And if so, who can really blame him, guy's got to earn a living, but yeah, his quality did go down, but like I said, not enough for me to hate his stuff, although I know a lot of people do hate it.

His recent Wolverine has been pretty good, but not spectacular for sure.

for sure. everybodys got to make a living. so iam not mad at the guy for trying to get paid. iam just saying his current art style does not move me in any way. what so ever. but i know the guy can get down when he wants to.

and because of that i rather seek out his old school original art. then his current stuff.;] larry